Must haves to pack for a toddler

Sean&Karen

So we are leaving in 3 weeks on the Carnival Liberty with our 14 month old. I am already thinking of what to pack and what to leave behind. I always get carried away on clothes. Since there are experienced cruisers on here, I was wondering if you have any suggestions on 'must haves' or something that you couldn't live without for a cruise for your baby/toddler.

Sunglasses or a sun hat to shield the eyes. Also it gets windy on deck, so a windbreaker or jacket with a hood..

Plenty of diapers. Baby Tylenol. ( in case of teething, etc.) On NCL they do not sell it, we had to see the Dr. to get it.

-Enough diapers and wipes to get through the trip. They usually only have one size on the ships. No one wants to spend their excursions looking for more diapers.

-Any children's medicine you might need

-8 changes of clothes. If you need more you can always wash them on the ship. Carnival has laundry facilities. :)

-Disposable sippy cups -place them in a quart sized zip lock bag when you go on excursions because they do leak

-or if you bring your sippy cups bring a small container of dish soap to wash them out at night.

-I second the comfort items and sunscreen.

-Pack an extra change of clothes in a zip lock bag when you go out on an excursion. This way if they soil their outfit you have something to put it in without smelling up the diaper bag.

-Small toys to bring to dinner. :)

- Pack your child's favorite snacks!! Trust me you will need them.

We also bring disposable bibs and the disposable toddler spoon/fork in addition to the sippy cups. Also if your toddler will watch them you may consider bringing a portable dvd player. It kept our 1yr old happy at dinner on our last cruise playing your baby can read dvd's. We also brought a small size blow-up beachball and took him to an empty lounge during the day to play

Julien-Good idea about brining the dvd player to dinner!! Didn't think about that one! We also need to get an extension cord for the room so we can drag it anywhere. Beach ball idea is a great idea, too! I need to go to the dollar store to pick up several in case they get lost.

Does anyone happen to know if they give the kiddos smaller cups (cups with straws) to drink from in the main dining room on Carnival? We are taking our 2 1/2 year old on her first cruise next month. I really don't want to bring sippy cups!

Julien-Good idea about brining the dvd player to dinner!! Didn't think about that one! We also need to get an extension cord for the room so we can drag it anywhere. Beach ball idea is a great idea, too! I need to go to the dollar store to pick up several in case they get lost.

Does anyone happen to know if they give the kiddos smaller cups (cups with straws) to drink from in the main dining room on Carnival? We are taking our 2 1/2 year old on her first cruise next month. I really don't want to bring sippy cups!

Have your 2 1/2 year old practice drinking from an open cup/carton with a real straw before you go, because that's what you'll probably get. I doubt you'll get a cup with a lid that a straw fits in to. Those boxed juices with the mini straw are great because they don't spill. Open cups and cartons (and straws) are pretty standard on cruise ships, so make sure she can drink from them without tipping the cup like toddlers with sippies (and bottles) normally do. I had a very "pleasant" experience treating my 2 1/2 year old DGD to chocolate milk at McDonald's - with a straw. French fries with catsup and chocolate milk. Yum!

I've never seen a cup with a lid or a smaller cup (except for the water cups on deck) in a dinning room. I would take my own cups.

Just large glass goblets. I always bring a bunch of my own take and toss sippy or straw cups - also good for port days, using in the bathroom for teethbrushing, rinsing shampoo out of hair in the bath, etc.

Best,

Mia

Pedialyte now comes in a powder, I will be bringing some on our trip, my son had noro a few weeks ago and I don't know what we would have done without it.

Not a bad idea to do just because of all the sun, to prevent dehydration, sickness or not.

Bring bendy straws, if you are going that route. Only seen straws at the bars.

Any medicine that your child has needed in the past. Might want to get an anti-diarrheal also.

Confirm with your doctor about any meds and a baby firstaid kit.

Archived