Sail Away on Legend?

Boatingmom

You will love the experience, you will pass directly by Peter O'Knight airport and have beautiful views. I like Tampa the best for sail away!

I don't remember any music playing though. Get a drink and enjoy the start of your cruise! The bridge comes much later, if you have early seating you will see it from the dining room though ;)

Please don't miss the Sunshine Skyway Bridge - if you have early dining, go to the buffet instead. It's really special. On the return voyage get up early so you can see it on the return as well - generally it's daybreak when they go under it. Have lots of fun - Tampa is a fabulous port.

When we went on the Legend in June '05 her home port was in NYC. I don't remember any music playing when we left but we had an aft wraparound balcony so maybe it was that I just didn't hear it. I do remember though there was a boat right next to us which played music and was having quite the party when leaving but it was a cruise to nowhere cruise so maybe it was considered more of a party boat.

I just got off the Legend on 3/21. One of my big regrets is that I unpacked before going to the Lido for the sail away party. It was already in full swing, which meant I missed part of it! And, I hate missing any of ALL THAT FUN! Wow wee, I found out I still had a fun side in me. As soon as I stepped near the dance floor, I leaped into the Cupid Shuffle, which I did not know I could do, and shocked my 20 year old daughter. That was the first of many dances that all of us jumped in on, and they were the highlight of our trip (well, that and the sting rays in Grand Cayman.)

The bridge is 2 to 2.25 hours after sail away and it is indeed worth it. Bring a coat as it is cold with the wind up there. Have a great trip and dance a line dance for me!

There's music and if you stand on the starboard side (your right facing forward) you get ot wave at the people in the condos along the shoreline and see the planes at the airfield. The bridge is awesome to see (you'll miss it coming back too early in the AM). And watching it get closer if fun too. If you have early dining you probably won't get to see the bridge though:(

I wasn't the OP but wanted to thank EVERYONE for their comments on this thread!

I really went back and forth trying to decide between the Legend and the Glory...all of you confirmed that I made the right decision! :)

We are thinking about sailing on the Legend in Oct. We sailed out of Tampa 3 years ago, but i am embarrassed to say i don't remember the bridge.Imay have been unpacking to. We sailed on the Glory a few years ago with our 4 children who were 17 to 24 at the time. Ithink the legend is a little smaller and i thought maybe in Oct. not so many kids running up and down the halls in the middle of the night. Ihave just started to gather info and hope to book next week.

OKwriter, the Legend was definitely the right choice. Our first cruise was on the Glory. We cruised last summer (our 3rd) on the Legend, and we're cruising her again this summer. We LOVE the layout of that class ship...it was much easier to get around in. We also liked the ports a little better (wasn't a fan of Costa Maya and not so much of Nassau).

Happy cruising!

OKwriter, the Legend was definitely the right choice. Our first cruise was on the Glory. We cruised last summer (our 3rd) on the Legend, and we're cruising her again this summer. We LOVE the layout of that class ship...it was much easier to get around in. We also liked the ports a little better (wasn't a fan of Costa Maya and not so much of Nassau).

Happy cruising!

Thank you! This will be my second cruise but DH's first. I kept reading over and over about how much everyone loved the layout and how Tampa was such an easy port to get in/out of. The ports of call were going to be nearly identical (December 12 cruise), and the Glory was actually a few dollars cheaper. But sailing under the bridge was the deciding factor! :D

We are thinking about sailing on the Legend in Oct. We sailed out of Tampa 3 years ago, but i am embarrassed to say i don't remember the bridge.Imay have been unpacking to. We sailed on the Glory a few years ago with our 4 children who were 17 to 24 at the time. Ithink the legend is a little smaller and i thought maybe in Oct. not so many kids running up and down the halls in the middle of the night. Ihave just started to gather info and hope to book next week.

I just sailed on her during Spring Break and even then did not ever hear, or see, kids running up and down the halls. Also, none of the elevator games I have read about. I think you will be good to go for your October trip.

It is easy to miss the bridge if you are in your cabin. They announce it several times on the P.A. but you can't hear it in your room. I was the only one of my party to see it as I just happened to be exploring on deck. Everyone else missed it as they were in their rooms.

I wasn't the OP but wanted to thank EVERYONE for their comments on this thread!

I really went back and forth trying to decide between the Legend and the Glory...all of you confirmed that I made the right decision! :)

Hubby and I will be sailing on the Legend in September. We sailed on her sister ship, the Miracle, a few years ago and loved it. That said, if you ever have the chance, please sail on the Glory. We have been on that ship twice and it is fantastic.

We returned yesterday from an 8 day out of Tampa on the Legend .....

You'll pass under the bridge sometime between 6:10-6:30. It's 25 miles from the pier to the bridge. You'll want to get a drink (if that's your pleasure) and get as high up as you can to enjoy passing under the bridge. The party on the Lido will continue long after you've passed the bridge...

SS852320-1.jpg

Being one of "the" spring break weeks, there were over 500 kids on the ship, and you hardly ever saw or heard them. The Camp Carnival folks do an awesome job in keeping the kids occupied. Obviously you'll see them at meal times, but we never saw them congregating on the stairwells, or hanging out or running in the passageways.

Archived