Golden Early Dec -- What is the weather like?

SULLJO

While no one can ever second guess the weather that time of the year, I will share with you what we experienced on two different early December sailings, December 5, 2006 and December 6, 2009.

We boarded both times wearing light clothing - no jackets needed, but we are Native So Cal people, so we are used to the weather. Some were wearing light jackets or sweaters. The first two days at sea we experienced a lot of "rocking and rolling." My husband is prome to seasickness, and was very uncomfortable - especially the night of the first full sea day (Formal Night, of course - wouldn't you know it!). It was cool on deck those days, and anyone who was outside was bundled up pretty well.

After that, the seas calmed, and it started getting warmer. The pools started being used more, and everyone was warm and happy.

In the Islands, the weather was what Hawaii always is. You might have a rain shower one minute, and then it would clear up. Nothing ever to stop you from doing anything you might want to do.

The return trip was calm seas all the way back, with it getting slightly cooler each day, but it was still very nice and warm in Ensenada. The final night I never remember much about, as when I get to bed I don't know another thing until I wake and see we are entering the harbor in Los Angeles. It feels a bit cool when you disembark, but I always figure that is because I have been so warm and cozy for the last week or more that I feel the cool more than usual.

Whatever the weather decides to do, don't worry about it. You will have the time of your life!

As a native Angeleno, I can advise you that, as noted above, the weather could be variable in Southern California in December. If the Santa Ana winds are blowing, warm weather could be blown into the LA basin. But it could be rainy and in the 50s or 60s. Most likely you won't see snow if you're staying by San Pedro before the cruise, even though it did snow in Malibu a couple of years ago (we're more likely to get snow where I live as we're up against the Santa Susana mountains, but it's even rare here).

So I would be prepared for rain for your pre-cruise stay, for the first few days of your cruise, for brief rainstorms in Hawaii (we didn't get any rain in the Islands in December 2005, not even in Hilo, which is considered one of the rainiest places in Hawaii, or in Kauai, which has one of the rainiest places in the world). But I would definitely plan for 60s during the first few days and a little warmer as you near the islands.

Might be a bit rocking and rolling too on the way there and/or back as you'll cross a current leaving San Pedro.

Considering the Dec 8th sailing on the Golden to Hawaii? Can anytime tell me what the weather was like? Thanks! Joyce

We were on the the Dec 6 2009 sailing and it was cool (light jacket or sweater) when we were leaving southern CA. Windy and cool with lots of motion the first 2-3 days. (Track suits or long pants and sweat shirts) As we neared the islands sunny during the day and cool evenings. Most people wearing shorts and Hawaiian shirts or tee shirts. Bring rainwear as it rains briefly on most days in the islands - we were lucky and only had two brief showers. Coming back - crossing the Pacific, the reverse of above. Ensenada day was warm and sunny - we didn't get off the ship as we don't care for "nada". There is moderate motion on the first day or two leaving the west coast due to the strong north-south current that must be crossed and coming back on the last day before Ensenada. If you are sensative to motion sickness, pack some remedies.

Enjoy your cruise. We love those seadays and love this itinerary.

Archived