Caye Caulker or San Pedro?

kr8z

I am debating on what to do in Belize. We have 4 small children and really do not want to do the cave tubing with them. I am thinking about doing something on our own in this port and just grabbing a water taxi. From what I have read on here, Caye Caulker virtually has no beach. San Pedro, however, is an additional half hour water taxi ride.

We leave our kids on board in camp at one port. I think we decided Roatan would be the port we do fun adult activities at. Belize is our first stop and the kids will likely be ready to get off the ship by then. They will range in age from 2-8 when we take this cruise. We just got off one last week and also left them behind at the second port. It seemed to work out really well for us and them LOL

Any advice or suggestions are welcome. TIA

That's a tough one. With 4 small children, even the tender ride to the pier will seem long to them, much less an hour 15 minutes to San Pedro plus return. That's nearly 3 hours total in small boats. If they were nearly tweeners, I'd suggest the Mayan Ruins at Altun Ha via the River Wallace, or the Captain your own riverboat.

Maybe you can rethink Roatan. Are you on a Carnival, Princess or HAL ship? You'll dock at Mahogany Bay and the beach is right there, water is shallow and relatively calm. While I personally think the West End/West Bay has better beaches and more fun things, MBCC might just fit your family's needs. You might consider going to Gumbalinda Park and seeing the animals.

http://roatanet.com/

Then the adults can go snorkeling or longer ruins tours or Caye Caulker in Belize. Check with the ship to be sure the camp for kids is open during port days.

We sail on Carnival once or twice a year. Camp Carnival is open on port days. I know the beaches are better in Roatan, but that craig cat thing looks really cool. We can't snorkel with the kids... at least not with the little ones (2 and 3)... and the snorkeling appeared to be better in Roatan. I am not into cruising for the cultural activities LOL Ruins hold absolutely no fascination for me. I'm sure they are cool and all, but I much prefer the beach. When we do the Mexican Riviera again in January, I'll be sure to get exposed to some history. The beaches there were not fun :p

Those are good suggestions though; just not our cup of tea. I appreciate the input.

Well the craig cat thing we wanted to do in Roatan isn't operating the month of September. This just made the choice much easier :p Guess it is beach time in Roatan and alone time in Belize.

So for two adults... San Pedro or Caye Caulker? The taxi time is no longer a factor since we don't care.

I hear you...look at this through Belize crusie excursions.

http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/Belize_Zoo_Old_Belize_Excursion.htm

Cucumber Beach is the beach area where lots of locals go on weekends.

The zoo is more like a mini game preserve and you can pet the some of the animals.

http://www.belizezoo.org/

Archived