questions on Eastern Caribbean cruise

robinsnest64

My husband and I have booked an Eastern Caribbean cruise for Sep 5. this is our 1st one and wondered if we could get any tips on a hotel close(leaving from Ft. Lauderdale) any great excursions that could be recommended or any other things we might need or like to know since we are very new to the cruising. Thanks for all suggestions!! :confused::)

My husband and I have booked an Eastern Caribbean cruise for Sep 5. this is our 1st one and wondered if we could get any tips on a hotel close(leaving from Ft. Lauderdale) any great excursions that could be recommended or any other things we might need or like to know since we are very new to the cruising. Thanks for all suggestions!! :confused::)

Hotels....

Renaissance on 17th St is right across the street from the entrance to the port.

Embassy Suites also on 17th St about 1/2 mile down from the Renaissance.

Hyatt Pier 66 17th St, opposite side of the draw bridge with great views of the port.

Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina right next to the Renaissance.

The Eastern Caribbean isn't very exotic so there aren't any really "great" Caribbean excursions.

However, you can have a darned good time, especially if you like water sports such as diving or snorkeling. Or maybe just laying out on the beaches.

You'll find the best shore excursion info on the Ports Of Call boards and your Roll Call. Be sure to sign in to the latter, if you haven't already.

There may be some island tours that could interest you. For example, while at the St Thomas port, St John Island is a beautiful island and well preserved because it's @ 80% National Park.

Many folks like to spend their time shopping while at the islands. The Eastern caribbean is especially popular for that.

However, I can find a greater variety of selections and prices at my local malls. :p

Colo Cruiser provided a good list of hotels. I habitually stay at The Renaissance for it's convenience, comfort and relatively good prices. Hyatt Pier 66 would be great, but it's pricey.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/fllbr-renaissance-fort-lauderdale-hotel/

Here's Tripadvisor's Fort Lauderdale hotels page:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g34227-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida-Hotels.html

Have a wonderful cruise, and don't forget that Roll Call! :)

If you enjoy Catamarans, swimming, snorkeling and beaches, the all day excursion (booked through the ship) in St. Thomas to St. Johns has always been a winner in our book. In fact, we have it booked for the 4th or 5th time for this May.

BUT, beware, it can get a little rough out there getting to St. Johns, so even if you don't find seasickness is a problem on ship, always come prepared for the catamaran. ;)

Thank you so much for the great info actually just looked up the Renaissance hotel and prices are very good, info was very helpful!

There's a good seafood restaurant on the river front a very short stroll from the hotel. With your back to the hotel, it's to the right on the far side of the large parking lot.

There's also a supersize drug store just across the street for last minute items.

I'm sure St. Thomas is on your itinerary....but I would recommend booking a day sail to St. John on that day. Lost of suggestions on the port boards....I would recommend Rumbaba - we loved sailing with them - but there are lots of others you can read about too. St. John is beautiful......my favorite island in the Caribbean.:D Can't wait to visit next week on our cruise.

Snorkeling in Grand Turk

Beaches in St Thomas

America's cup racing in St Martin (if you get in to port early you can do this and still have the rest of the afternoon to sight see, shop or tour the island. They have the actual America's cup boats and everyone gets a role- some are quite active- others really sedate (like holding a stop watch for the start.) If this is your bag.

Check the ports here and you should find some great excursions.

It will be a fun cruise without a doubt.

I'm sure St. Thomas is on your itinerary....but I would recommend booking a day sail to St. John on that day. Lost of suggestions on the port boards....I would recommend Rumbaba - we loved sailing with them - but there are lots of others you can read about too. St. John is beautiful......my favorite island in the Caribbean.:D Can't wait to visit next week on our cruise.

Another vote for Rumbaba. Captain Bobby doesn't reflexively visit the same locations every trip. He knows exactly where the best snorkeling is for that day. His first mate (I forget her name) prepares a tasty lunch.

The only down side is that Bobby doesn't tie up at the meeting Dock. You have to climb down from the dock into his motor powered Zodiac to transfer to the snorkel boat. Down ain't so bad, but the return up can be a challenge if you're a somewhat overweight senior. :p

http://www.rumbabacharters.com/

Hi,

Here is your charter information. Please print a copy and bring it with you to avoid any confusion.

Charter time: 9 a.m. , unless otherwise arranged

Lunch Choices: Fresh ahi tuna, mahi mahi, filet mignon or chicken breast

Please email the following information after you have received this confirmation.

Lunch selections :

name and arrival time of ship :

Or Hotel and arrival date on island :

Any special requests or needs :

Captain Bobby will meet you 15 minutes before sail time for boarding. Everything you need is provided including snorkel gear. Just bring towels, sunscreen(no sprays or oils please), and cameras. I suggest you wear swimsuits and lather up with sunscreen before arrival. If anyone is susceptible to motion sickness one of the over the counter remedies taken before sailing(per product directions) is usually effective.

If you have any questions or concerns about the weather please call us. If you are running late the day of the charter you must call ASAP 340-690-1659

Don't' miss the opportunity to take home your souvenir t-shirts, hats and visors. Available in a variety of sizes and colors for only $20.00 Very cool!

Your credit card information was taken to secure your reservation. No charges will be made until the day of the charter to allow you to choose your preferred payment method that day. If you fail to keep your reservation without notice you will be charged for the full amount. In the event of changes in your ship's itinerary or weather conditions that do not allow for safe sailing there will be no charge. If you wish to cancel a minimum of 48 hours notice is required.

Archived