Bearing Sea Crab Fishermans Tour

CHARGERFAN83

Well, I just booked the two of us for this trip in September, and we'll both really enjoy it.....even if the crabs and octopus are actors who were hired for the season! I'm sure there are some very good reasons for that.

We took a New England cruise last fall, and on our stop at Prince Edward Island, we took a similar trip out on a boat with a lobster fisherman. He also had a few "primed" pots with lobsters of all sizes, including "Charlie," a 12-lb. lobster, some fish, and a few other local critters.

He explained all about lobster fishing in the area, which is more strictly controlled than you would imagine, both by law and by a strong code of conduct among the fishermen themselves. There are limits on when they can fish, how often they can fish, how much lobster an individual fisherman may take in a day, and how much lobster that particular area may take in a fishing season. We were there in September, which is not the fishing season for that area, and no one.....no one.....is permitted to take a lobster out of season. There are some serious consequences to anyone who trys to circumvent the rules.

Our guide told us that he had to go through a lot of hoops to get his boat and tour approved as an educational program, but even then, he was not permitted to keep the lobsters he had in the traps. He had to send a boat out to the traps every evening to feed the lobsters, and at the end of the tourist season which was a week after we left, everything in the traps had to be released.

Now, I don't know anything about crab fishing in Alaska, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the same principles apply. If the crabs and other catch are out of season, imagine how exciting it would be for a whole boatload of tourists to watch them pull up empty pots. We all know it's not going to be a "Deadly Catch" experience, and frankly my idea of fun isn't standing on the deck of a pitching boat covered in ice with water slopping over me and the wind trying to blow me overboard.

All I want to do is see the crabs, octopus, and whatever else they have pulled from the sea and hear what they have to say about their lives. Yep, it's pricy, but I think I'm going to like it.

• 1 month later...

Just returned from Alaska and thought I would bump this thread to the top of the list. This tour definitely deserves the great reviews. Booked it through the ship. I am sure the weather aided in our enjoyment (temp around 60, water smooth as glass). They cover all types of fishing; long line, king crab, opilio crab, shrimp. But I have to say that the highlight of the trip was when they pull up close to an island and feed the bald eagles. Not sure what it is about seeing them, but it just makes me feel good. The crew told great stories of what life is like for a commercial fisherman, what has led them to this life, and they really go out of their way to make everyone on board have a great time (especially kids).

Just returned from Alaska and thought I would bump this thread to the top of the list. This tour definitely deserves the great reviews. Booked it through the ship. I am sure the weather aided in our enjoyment (temp around 60, water smooth as glass). They cover all types of fishing; long line, king crab, opilio crab, shrimp. But I have to say that the highlight of the trip was when they pull up close to an island and feed the bald eagles. Not sure what it is about seeing them, but it just makes me feel good. The crew told great stories of what life is like for a commercial fisherman, what has led them to this life, and they really go out of their way to make everyone on board have a great time (especially kids).

Thank you.. We are taking this excursion in less than one month.. We all love the TV show and were looking for something different to do in Alaska.. Can't wait..

I love the DC series and I've booked this tour for June 2nd. Whoo hoo.

I am obsessed with Eagles so that will be so great.I have been religiously watching the Hornby video posted on this board.I have all my students watching as well.So interesting and something I have never seen before.Love when parents feed the baby.

Bering Sea Crab Tour..contact Meg at www.56degreesnorth.com The 2011 schedule isn't out yet..But they usually leave for their tour at about 8:00am and they have you back at the pier around 11:30am....We never miss the Deadliest Catch..Before you go watch season 2 this highlights the Aleutian Ballad the ship you will be on......

Thanks for the review, we will be on that tour in about 10days time. Really looking forward to it, how close are the eagles? Are we talking 200,300, or 400mm lens kinda stuff?

They were about 10 feet away from me as they were swooping into the water to catch their food that the crew threw out. It was awesome.

Glad you enjoyed it, we'll be on this tour in exactly 7 days!!! So looking forward to it. Thanks for your review!

Thanks for the review, we will be on that tour in about 10days time. Really looking forward to it, how close are the eagles? Are we talking 200,300, or 400mm lens kinda stuff?

I took the tour last year and got some of the most incredible eagle shots you could imagine. I shoot a lot of stock photography and didn't have eagles until then. I used a 70-200mm 2.8 lens That seemed about perfect as they were varying distances from the ship. I can tell you it was THE most exciting 10 minutes of photography I have ever had. I took over 100 awesome shots and a few not so much.

We are taking the same cruise this year, but since we are only in Ketchikan for a few hours we thought we would try something different this time. We are taking a float plane with Island Wings to Misty Fjord. Next time we go back - we are doing the crab boat again. Like most people have said - they really treat you well and most everyone has a super time. Say hi to Kiwi - he is quite the character and very helpful to the photographers.

Sandy

If any of you Deadliest Catch fans are on a cruise that stops in Homer Alaska or if you take a road trip to this cool little town, be sure to go out on the Spit to the Time Bandit's Booth where you might get lucky like we did last year and meet some of the crew. Brothers Andy and Neal Hillstrand were at the booth one day and were the friendliest guys you ever wanted to meet. Homer is their Home and the Time Bandit is in the Harbor when not out fishing.

2658076520091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

2968874180091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

Oh thanx so much for the info about Time Bandit! We're HUGE fans and yes, we will be in Homer on HAL's 14 day itinerary leaving a week from this Monday - and we've got nothing but time on our hands there except for a short HAL excursion at 1:30PM. When were you there last year? Is this time of year too early do you think to see the Time Bandit in port??? OMG - can't wait til my DH gets home so I can show him this! How cool!!!! You just made my day!!:D

Oh thanx so much for the info about Time Bandit! We're HUGE fans and yes, we will be in Homer on HAL's 14 day itinerary leaving a week from this Monday - and we've got nothing but time on our hands there except for a short HAL excursion at 1:30PM. When were you there last year? Is this time of year too early do you think to see the Time Bandit in port??? OMG - can't wait til my DH gets home so I can show him this! How cool!!!! You just made my day!!:D

We were in Homer in July last year but I would think the boat should be docked by this time of year. They have a web sight http://www.timebandit.tv/ with an Alaskan phone number, you might be able to get more details. I'm sure with cruise ships coming to Homer now they will be there often while ships are in port. Really interesting, nice guys worth talking to in my opinion. The boat was docked right across the street in the Harbor. You will see the lighthouse at the Salty Dog Saloon (in the picture above) to give you an ideal where they are on the Spit.

I took the tour last year and got some of the most incredible eagle shots you could imagine. I shoot a lot of stock photography and didn't have eagles until then. I used a 70-200mm 2.8 lens That seemed about perfect as they were varying distances from the ship. I can tell you it was THE most exciting 10 minutes of photography I have ever had. I took over 100 awesome shots and a few not so much.

We are taking the same cruise this year, but since we are only in Ketchikan for a few hours we thought we would try something different this time. We are taking a float plane with Island Wings to Misty Fjord. Next time we go back - we are doing the crab boat again. Like most people have said - they really treat you well and most everyone has a super time. Say hi to Kiwi - he is quite the character and very helpful to the photographers.

Sandy

Thanks for the info, between the 2 of us we will have 3 bodies With various lenses but my go to is my 70-200 for sure.

Not exactly sure why it's called the Bearing Sea Tour,when they're no where near the Bearing Sea.

Um...it's called the Bering Sea Fisherman's Tour (NOT Bering Sea Tour) because they are (or were) Fishermen in the Bering Sea .

:)

Hi all

I am looking for a cruise to Alaska but I specifically want to go to the Aleutian islands and do this tour (we are mad DC fans!). I was wondering if someone could offer advice on cruiselines known to go out this far?

I am aware of Silversea but, being a typical Aussie, am not fussed on the formality of this cruiseline..

Any suggestions on where to start looking would help greatly ..

Thanks

Alicia

The Bering Sea Fisherman's Tour isn't actually in the Aleutian's, its in the port of Ketchikan - which is almost always a port of call on every Alaskan cruise. Google Aleutian Ballad to find the info on the tour. Cruise lines will have it on their excursion lists for additional information. I hear its a wonderful tour - enjoy!

Archived