I'm a big chicken

piemom9397

DH and I will be in Dominica in April. I want to go whale watching; he wants to go diving. I am a big chicken and am apprehensive about taking a tour on my own. I've read reviews of Island Style fishing & Captain Jerry and it all seems to be okay; I'd like some feedback on how folks felt getting to where the boat leaves, while you were on the boat, and just your overall impression of Dominica and its safety & atmosphere.

I'm a 42 year old woman (well, actually the day we're in Dominica, I'm turning 43), I haven't traveled a lot outside the US, and where I did, I was not alone. So, I don't really have an adventurist spirit, but the fact that I'm even thinking about doing this is a positive step in that direction. :)

I've also considered booking an excursion through Royal Caribbean...it's just that last year we booked a snorkel excursion through them in Grand Cayman and it was just one big cattle car. Too many people, a very long walk, and we got shorted because of the timing (we had to be back on the ship at 3:15, but the ship's own excursion advertised a 2.5 hour snorkeling time with a start time of 1:00, which means it would end at 3:30. Everyone on the ship said "oh, no problem, don't worry, we're not going to leave you", but yes, they did end early so we could walk the mile or so back to the tender area.

I'm not saying every excursion through the cruise is like that; I'm just a bit wary. </endrant>

Please no flames; don't tell me to just stay on the ship, or question if I live my life in fear, or tell me that I could easily be abducted here in the states, etc, etc, etc. Will the feedback totally make my decision for me? No. I'd just like others' perspectives on things. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Don't know if this will help, but I've been to Dominica 4 times and the last 3 times I have gone on excursions by myself. I've always felt comfortable on this beautiful island. Having said that, the roads are narrow and windy - I would never recommend renting a car for the day. The locals know the roads and drive them all the time.

The way most of the private tours seem to work is they go out early and return early. This gives you a safety cushion on your return in the afternoon. Also, most of the private tours use vans that seat 10-12 - much better on the Dominica roads than a small tour bus.

Join the roll call for your cruise and ask if anyone is doing the tour you are interested in. I've always been able to hook up with others in the roll call group. Even if this doesn't work, it is likely that everyone on the whale watch will be from your ship anyway. It's not like you're going to get in a cab and go somewhere totally alone on the island.

I think you will find if you go with an excursion you will meet great people. I travelled solo (this was my third solo cruise) and all my excursions I met great people.

In Dominica I went with Bumpiing tours based on the reviews here and had an incredible time. ( definitely let them do the driving, those are some scary roads;)), but I felt completely safe and taken care of and met some great people. Vivian was our guide and he was wonderful.

This is a beautiful island, one of my favorites, you will have a great time if you try. I actually had so much fun on this cruise I got home and scheduled for next year.

You will have a great time. If you want to do the whale watching then go for it!! It is very easy to get to the tours. You will see people holding signs on the dock, so you will easily find the tour to go to. The port area is safe In Dominica, we have been there twice and felt safe both times. THe people are so nice and friendly. If you are aprehensive, taking a ship tour will be the best way to go. Have a Happy Birthday on your cruise!

Congrats on being willing to step out of your comfort zone. We had an awesome time there earlier this month. I do recommend, though, that you either take an organized tour or find people on your roll call to join up with. The reason is that the taxi drivers were the most aggressive of any of the places we took a taxi (rather than an organized tour) on our 14 day trip. We only wanted to go to Champagne Reef, and no one wanted to do that at first. Of course they say they do, but then on the way to their car try to talk you in to a whole island tour. We finally were "rescued" by Ricky, a nice young man who understood that we couldn't be talked into all day. We ended up being the first to Champagne Reef, and then he picked us up at the appointed time. Our only regret was that we should have stayed there a few more hours!

You guys are so wonderful! I am going to do something! No one on the roll call is doing that excursion, or they haven't responded yet, but I do think I'll go on one, even if it's for a little bit more money through the cruise ship. I'll definitely do an organized one--I am non-confrontational and could totally see taxi drivers & vendors just running all over me w/their aggressiveness :D

Thanks again, y'all!!

I just got back from a Serenade cruise that stopped in Dominica. Unfortunately, Jerry from Island Style Fishing didn't bother showing up for our whale watching tour. We were told that he is no longer allowed to dock at the Ft. Young Hotel. The day was a huge disappointment. We ended up taking a cab back to the ship after walking 2+ miles trying to catch up with Jerry. Do yourself a favor, and book whale watching through the ship.

You guys are so wonderful! I am going to do something! No one on the roll call is doing that excursion, or they haven't responded yet, but I do think I'll go on one, even if it's for a little bit more money through the cruise ship. I'll definitely do an organized one--I am non-confrontational and could totally see taxi drivers & vendors just running all over me w/their aggressiveness :D

Thanks again, y'all!!

Hi,

I did 2 excursions in Dominica: I did the Caribbean Cooking Experience in the morning and the Titu Gorge and Sulphur Springs in the afternoon. Both were fantastic experiences. The guides and hosts were excellent. I did the excursions via RCL and we had some of their own excursion staff on the gorge and springs tour.

I just got back from a Serenade cruise that stopped in Dominica. Unfortunately, Jerry from Island Style Fishing didn't bother showing up for our whale watching tour. We were told that he is no longer allowed to dock at the Ft. Young Hotel. The day was a huge disappointment. We ended up taking a cab back to the ship after walking 2+ miles trying to catch up with Jerry. Do yourself a favor, and book whale watching through the ship.

Oh my goodness! :eek: That really stinks--I'm so sorry that you experienced that. Did he at least refund your money? I think that nails it for me--paying a little bit more in $$ but going w/the ship's excursion will take care of my concern with safety & such. Oh, jabber, I'm speechless. Thanks for sharing--sorry that I get to benefit from your lousy experience.

Hi,

I did 2 excursions in Dominica: I did the Caribbean Cooking Experience in the morning and the Titu Gorge and Sulphur Springs in the afternoon. Both were fantastic experiences. The guides and hosts were excellent. I did the excursions via RCL and we had some of their own excursion staff on the gorge and springs tour.

Thanks, Arzeena--I'll look at those excursions as well.

Archived