New Jersey Ferry to Port

hutt90

Have booked the Hyatt Place Secaucas for before our cruise. We are able to leave the car in the parking garage for the week we are gone, so that is great. I have found that we can have transportation to Port by a service called Carlos for 65.00 plus 8 for tolls each way. My question is people have talked about a few ferries that run from Nj to the Cruise Port around where we are staying. Would we be better off taking a taxi to the ferry and then taking the short walk to the cruise port? Worth the savings of 150.00? Any thoughts on getting to the cruise port from our hotel would be appreciated. Trying to save some cash wherever I can.

Thanks in advance. :p

Hyatt Place is not close to the ferry - also the ferry schedule may not accommodate you very well and I think it is about $7.50 each way.

Can you manage your luggage? New Jersey Transit bus 320 stops right near the Hyatt at the Wal-Mart and will take you to Port Authority in 20 minutes for $3.15. Then a $10-$15 cab ride to the port. But I don't think you can take mountains of luggage on it.

Have booked the Hyatt Place Secaucas for before our cruise. We are able to leave the car in the parking garage for the week we are gone, so that is great. I have found that we can have transportation to Port by a service called Carlos for 65.00 plus 8 for tolls each way. My question is people have talked about a few ferries that run from Nj to the Cruise Port around where we are staying. Would we be better off taking a taxi to the ferry and then taking the short walk to the cruise port? Worth the savings of 150.00? Any thoughts on getting to the cruise port from our hotel would be appreciated. Trying to save some cash wherever I can.

It seems like you are giving yourself a lot of extra hassle traveling from New Jersy with luggage by ferry, then taking a cab to the Manhattan cruise pier.

It would be much simpler if you booked a hotel room in New York City for the night and then caught a cab to the pier. If you do your research it is possible to find some very reasonable rates at the midtown hotels on 7th and 8th Avenues between 42nd Street and 55th.

I think you would also enjoy exploring the city the day prior to your cruise. You can park your car at the cruise pier. If you were saving $600 it would be worth it, but, for $150 I think the simpler you can make your travel experience the better your family will feel.

Jonathan

We are already getting a great savings with a free room at the Hyatt Place do to our Delta Skymiles points. Plan on taking the 320 bus into town on Monday to wander the city a bit.

Just trying to find the best way to get to the Cruise Port on Tuesday morning for our Cruise.

Thanks

Ferry works best with minimal luggage and less people.....otherwise it's too much and too much $.

We used the ferry for our eurodam and dream ctn. For us it was easier to drive and park. We also only had 1 rolling piece of luggage. It wasn't cheap but rather than do the drive into the city, we chose the ease of using the ferry.

Price out some car services. You might be able to do better. Did the hotel recommend Carlos? The only other option I can think of is to take a cab to Secaucus Junction and take the train into Penn Station and a cab to the pier. The train is $3.25/pp. A cab from Penn Station would be $10-$15. I don't know the price of a cab to the train station, but $50+ should more than cover it. The hotel might know.

Ahoy there!

I'll weigh in with a contrarian position here and say that yes, you most certainly can take the ferry--if the following assumptions are correct:

1. I assume that by "Port" you mean the Passenger Ship Terminals (aka Pier 88, Pier 90, Pier 92) on the west side of Manhattan. If, instead, you are leaving from Cape Liberty (aka Bayonne) or the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, you'll have to take the taxi all the way.

2. I assume that you don't have mountains of luggage. If you have one or two pieces of rolling luggage that you can maneuver easily, fine. But anything more than that will be a bit of a struggle.

3. I assume the weather will be congenial on the day you leave--not snowing, not pouring, not 95 degrees with 95 percent humidity. But that's a big IF; you'll only know for sure on the day of your departure.

If all three assumptions are correct, you can take a New York Waterway from Port Imperial (aka Weehauken) to the 39th Street NY Waterway Terminal in Manhattan, and walk to the pier (or take another cab) from there. (About a 10-15 minute walk due north, or a three-minute cab ride.)

My wife & I have done this several times--including once in a driving rainstorm, an experience I'm not in a hurry to repeat. Other than that one occasion, we haven't had any difficulties.

If you want to do this (not in a rainstorm), have your taxi take you from the hotel to the Weehauken ferry terminal. The ferries run frequently; the fare at the moment is $7.50 one way. More information can be found at

http://www.nywaterway.com/

The total fare will certainly be considerably less than $150. And you'll be able to see your ship from Weehauken and during the ferry ride.

Bon voyage!

If it was my trip, I would call Secaucus taxi (they are about 6 blocks from the Hyatt).

(201) 866-7780

I have used them many, many times for transport from the NJ side to the NY side. Their service has always been satisfactory. They have mini vans if you need transport for more than 3 people with luggage.

Get in a taxi, through the Lincoln tunnel and be dropped off DIRECTLY at the cruise port.

No shuffling luggage out of the hotel, into a cab to the ferry port, out of the cab onto the ferry, then either walking your luggage to the cruise port or getting in ANOTHER taxi. WAAAY too much hassle for what little you MAY save. The savings will be small-taxi from the Hyatt to Weehawken will probably be $35-40 PLUS ferry PLUS maybe taxi in NYC to cruise port. Of course, you need to add on the tips for the taxis.

Taxi from the Hyatt DIRECT to the cruise port will probably be $50-55 + tolls. ASK for the cheapest price. That suggestion is even on their website.

The total fare will certainly be considerably less than $150. And you'll be able to see your ship from Weehauken and during the ferry ride.

Bon voyage!

RT the cost will be darn close to what the taxi/ferry/taxi or even taxi/ferry/walk options are. Seeing the ship is a benefit, but the luggage hassle is not worth it, IMHO.

Archived