Snorkels available on board

bandt

Hi everyone

I have just been looking at some snorkels on eBay. Here is the description :

Cobra 100% Totally Dry Snorkel with Signal Whistle

"Unique 100% completely dry design - Patented upper valve keeps water from ever entering the snorkel. Air easily enters snorkel for clean, unobstructed breathing. The specially designed cover guard against water splashing into the snorkel. When the dry snorkel is submerged in the water the patented hinged seal reacts to seal the snorkel to prevent the water from get in. As you surface the hinged seal swings open allowing air to enter."

Seems a big improvement on anything I ever had (I haven't snorkelled for years !) The 'ping pong ball' type was quite effective but this type would seem to be even better. Does anyone have ideas on the subject? Is this type of snorkel available on board or should we "invest" in one each before the cruise?

Many thanks

Brian & Tony

There are plenty of dive shops around and if you can find one in your neighborhood and speak with them that can only help. www.leisurepro.com is a large supplier that you can see various styles and prices.

I do not know what the have on board and I will bring my own. Since the water is supposedly very calm I do not think you need anything fancy. Unless you are going to lay on your belly, look around, and then go under water a few feet, this is probably not necessary. Most (not all) snorkels have a purge valve at the bottom of the "U". This is where any water will collect and when you exhale the water is blown out this valve. This is significantly easier then trying to blow the water out the top of the snorkel.

We have lots of sets and have had no problems with the more inexpensive sets from US Divers. They cost us between $30-40USD for the mask and snorkel. If we need a set with fins, we spend $60-70 USD. I hope this cost comparison helps.

We brought our masks and snorkels (no fins) with us to FP but borrowed PG's dive bag which included fins, snorkel and mask. One day a girl wanted to snorkel on the Bora Bora motu but didn't have her gear. I loaned her the PG's stuff from my bag and inspected and tested it before she used it. No scratches, no stretches and no leaks. On another note, we met a French couple while snorkeling at Hilton Moorea and they were satisified with just their Speedo goggles and fins!

Hi FlightMedic555 and AnglerGirl

Thank you for your advice.

We have decided that quality snorkelling is probably more suitable for us than scuba and are looking forward to all that the islands have to offer.

After FlightMedic555's post and subsequent research we decided to buy the Oceanic Ultra-dry snorkels which seem to have received good reviews from Scuba Diving Magazine and may offer us a little extra comfort..... and not take up too much room in the suitcase !

For the the rest of the equipment we'll be very happy with the onboard kit.

B & T

B & T.

My wife and I both used this type of snorkel in Tahiti and Caribbean (Ocean Master Dry Snorkel) . If one is a bit uneasy doing snorkeling, it is real nice not to have water in your snorkel, one less thing to worry about. You can just enjoy the view and not have to be holding some air in reserve to clear the snorkel tube before the next breath of dry air.

John & Arlene

Archived