passport to visit ports

madge57

I know this sounds like another passport question and it is somewhat. Do you need a passport to visit the Virgin Islands? Friends of our said yes but I know someone will know the correct answer. Our friends might be right but I came to the right place to find out.

I know this sounds like another passport question and it is somewhat. Do you need a passport to visit the Virgin Islands? Friends of our said yes but I know someone will know the correct answer. Our friends might be right but I came to the right place to find out.

No you don't need them to visit the US Virgin Islands if traveling by air directly from the US. If you stop outside the US you do. On a ship if its a closed loop cruise you don't either. This of course assumes the US Virgin Islands and not the UK owned ones.

No you don't need them to visit the US Virgin Islands if traveling by air directly from the US. If you stop outside the US you do. On a ship if its a closed loop cruise you don't either. This of course assumes the US Virgin Islands and not the UK owned ones.

................ and following on from No 418's response, no passport needed for a cruiseship visit to the Brit Virgin Islands.

John Bull

We have visited every caribbean Island and only ever had to use the ship's card.

You've visited EVERY Caribbean Island? Wow....... that's incredible. We've been to a great many but there are a number of small, obscure islands no cruise ships go to we have missed.

Our upcoming HAL cruise will bring us to St. Barts for the first time. Certainly not an obscure island but not many cruise ships have called there. Same for St. Vincent. How about that whole big string of Bahamian Islands? We'et yet to get to Cuba because we are American.

I doubt with all our trips to the Caribbean (and we've had many), we'll ever get to ALL the islands.

Congratulations.

Enviable.

We'et yet to get to Cuba because we are American.

I've met a fair few Americans in Cuba, though of course they can't fly direct (via Mexico or Jamaica is the norm) and no US ships and very few other cruise ships visit. Mebbe with political stances softening (dont wanna get involved in a long thread on the subject :eek:) ships will return in a big way.

But its a fascinating island, lovely people, Havana is kinda faded Spanish glory, significant remnants of a communist way of life, all very different to the rest of the Caribbean.

Take the opportunity when it comes, you'll be glad you did.

John Bull

Hello Madge57

We make a photo copy of our passport and take that with us. Our passport is kept in the room safe secure. We have never needed to use it but it shows all the necesary info.

We have never had any problems and you don't have to worry about it getting lost or stolen

Have a good day

Wayne

Hello Madge57

We make a photo copy of our passport and take that with us. Our passport is kept in the room safe secure. We have never needed to use it but it shows all the necesary info.

We have never had any problems and you don't have to worry about it getting lost or stolen

Have a good day

Wayne

You won't get away with that, Wayne.:D

Betcha the "I always take my passport ashore" brigade will be on here shortly, giving their opinions.:D :D

I agree with you, but if it all kicks off again, I'm gonna keep out of it :cool:

Regards

JB

We have visited every caribbean Island and only ever had to use the ship's card.

Bold statement, lots of rocks out there. I was a liveaboard/cruising sailboat sailor for 5 years in the Caribbean and I am pretty sure that I missed a few of them and found one the hard way (ouch:eek:).

Sail7seas: I am also an American and have been to Cuba many times and always look forward to my next visit. So don't let being from the good old USA hold you back from a visit. Contrary to urban myth there is no law saying that Americans can not go to Cuba. You just have to be creative about how you spend your money.;)

Bold statement, lots of rocks out there. I was a liveaboard/cruising sailboat sailor for 5 years in the Caribbean and I am pretty sure that I missed a few of them and found one the hard way (ouch:eek:).

Sail7seas: I am also an American and have been to Cuba many times and always look forward to my next visit. So don't let being from the good old USA hold you back from a visit. Contrary to urban myth there is no law saying that Americans can not go to Cuba. You just have to be creative about how you spend your money.;)

are you sure?

http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/cuba/cuba.shtml

its not a myth....

You won't get away with that, Wayne.:D

Betcha the "I always take my passport ashore" brigade will be on here shortly, giving their opinions.:D :D

I agree with you, but if it all kicks off again, I'm gonna keep out of it :cool:

Regards

JB

JB, some don't have a choice with regards to passports. Some line take, and hold, passports for the duration of the cruise, and they even take the US passports on some cruise lines. I've had my passport taken and stored when I've done cruises to Alaska, Canada and most other places by cruise lines such as Seabourn, Crystal, Regent and Silversea. Like I always tell those who insist on taking their passports ashore in the Caribbean, if the cruise lines don't think I need my passport on shore, it's good enough for me.

It's not an Urban Myth about American tourists visiting Cuba. There is a law, that was upheld by the US Supreme Court as constitutional that disallows Americans from traveling to Cuba. Yes, there are some allowances, such as journalists, athletes and persons from organizations such as religious groups, but any American found to have been visiting Cuba, the fine can be anywhere from $5000 to $10,000. One of the stipulations is that an American cannot spend any money in Cuba if visiting, but that can be very difficult, albeit not totally impossible.

Here's a bit of information about this "law" regarding visits by Americans to Cuba (which I think needs to be repealed):

Under the 1963 Cuban Assets Control Regulations, you can't spend money there, which makes a trip almost impossible. There are, however, three ways for Americans to legally visit Cuba:

1. If you're a journalist, government official, associated with an international organization, athlete, visiting relatives or doing academic research, you may visit the island at any time.

2. If your trip is fully paid for, meaning all your Cuba-related expenses are covered by a foreign citizen or organization that you don't reimburse.

3. If you're planning to travel with an educational or religious institution or for humanitarian projects or free-lance journalism, you can apply for a license, a process that generally takes several months. But if you're just interested in taking some sun, don't waste your time: OFAC does not give licenses for pleasure travel.

If you're caught visiting Cuba illegally, OFAC can fine you $7,500 for a single trip, and up to $10,000 for any additional trip.

Are the Cuban travel restrictions constitutional? In 1984, the Supreme Court ruled by a narrow margin in Regan v. Wald that the travel restrictions were authorized in light of Cold War national security concerns. The court hasn't considered the restrictions since the end of the Cold War—and it might rule differently now

I've met a fair few Americans in Cuba, though of course they can't fly direct (via Mexico or Jamaica is the norm) and no US ships and very few other cruise ships visit. Mebbe with political stances softening (dont wanna get involved in a long thread on the subject :eek:) ships will return in a big way.

But its a fascinating island, lovely people, Havana is kinda faded Spanish glory, significant remnants of a communist way of life, all very different to the rest of the Caribbean.

Take the opportunity when it comes, you'll be glad you did.

John Bull

Yes, I am aware many Americans have legally visited Cuba and many have visited not so legally. :)

We had an opportunity to go with our congregation and it interested us but the dates didn't work for us.

If another chance arises, we will try to take advantage of it. I would not think of going under any cirumstances that were not fully authorized and legit as determined by our government. It doesn't interest me to 'be creative in how to spend our money'. I will wait for a legal visit.

I am not providing an opinion either way, just posting what is on the Royal Caribbean International (parent company of Azamara, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean cruise lines) website for you consideration:

U.S. Citizen Passport Requirement

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) when fully implemented on June 1, 2009 will require all travelers to and from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda to present a valid passport or other approved document that establishes the bearer's identity and citizenship in order to enter or reenter the United States.

Passport Requirements

A valid passport is a requirement for air travel to / from Canada, Mexico the Caribbean and Bermuda

Effective June 1, 2009 only a valid passport (unless otherwise noted below) or other WHTI compliant document will be accepted for entry or re-entry into the United States. For a list of all approved documents visit: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html#compliant_document

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or a certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

International Travel

A valid passport is required; visas are required where they apply. This includes Europe, Asia, Central and South America.

For additional passport information, visit www.travel.state.gov.

Our Recommendation

Royal Caribbean International strongly recommends that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise. This greatly assists guests who may need to fly out of the United States to meet their ship at the next available port should they miss their scheduled embarkation in a U.S. port; guests entering the U.S. at the end of their cruise; and guests needing to fly to the U.S. before their cruise ends, because of medical, family, personal or business emergencies, missing a ship's departure from a port of call, involuntary disembarkation from a ship due to misconduct, or other reasons.

Guests who need to fly to the United States before their cruise ends will likely experience significant delays and complications related to booking airline tickets and entering the United States if they do not have a valid U.S. passport with them. For additional passport information visit www.travel.state.gov

It's not an Urban Myth about American tourists visiting Cuba. There is a law, that was upheld by the US Supreme Court as constitutional that disallows Americans from traveling to Cuba. Yes, there are some allowances, such as journalists, athletes and persons from organizations such as religious groups, but any American found to have been visiting Cuba, the fine can be anywhere from $5000 to $10,000. One of the stipulations is that an American cannot spend any money in Cuba if visiting, but that can be very difficult, albeit not totally impossible.

Here's a bit of information about this "law" regarding visits by Americans to Cuba (which I think needs to be repealed):

Under the 1963 Cuban Assets Control Regulations, you can't spend money there, which makes a trip almost impossible. There are, however, three ways for Americans to legally visit Cuba:

1. If you're a journalist, government official, associated with an international organization, athlete, visiting relatives or doing academic research, you may visit the island at any time.

2. If your trip is fully paid for, meaning all your Cuba-related expenses are covered by a foreign citizen or organization that you don't reimburse.

3. If you're planning to travel with an educational or religious institution or for humanitarian projects or free-lance journalism, you can apply for a license, a process that generally takes several months. But if you're just interested in taking some sun, don't waste your time: OFAC does not give licenses for pleasure travel.

If you're caught visiting Cuba illegally, OFAC can fine you $7,500 for a single trip, and up to $10,000 for any additional trip.

Are the Cuban travel restrictions constitutional? In 1984, the Supreme Court ruled by a narrow margin in Regan v. Wald that the travel restrictions were authorized in light of Cold War national security concerns. The court hasn't considered the restrictions since the end of the Cold War—and it might rule differently now

Yes, I am aware many Americans have legally visited Cuba and many have visited not so legally. :)

We had an opportunity to go with our congregation and it interested us but the dates didn't work for us.

If another chance arises, we will try to take advantage of it. I would not think of going under any cirumstances that were not fully authorized and legit as determined by our government. It doesn't interest me to 'be creative in how to spend our money'. I will wait for a legal visit.

That is the wonderful thing about anything that our government makes laws about - there are a thousand loop holes. My trips to Cuba have been totally legal, pleasure and business. Not debating the laws here with sea lawyers, just saying if you want to visit Cuba it is not that hard to arrange and can be totally legal. I would highly encourage anyone that would like to visit that it will be worth the effort

Quote:

Originally Posted by sail7seas

Yes, I am aware many Americans have legally visited Cuba and many have visited not so legally.

That is the wonderful thing about anything that our government makes laws about - there are a thousand loop holes. My trips to Cuba have been totally legal, pleasure and business. Not debating the laws here with sea lawyers, just saying if you want to visit Cuba it is not that hard to arrange and can be totally legal. I would highly encourage anyone that would like to visit that it will be worth the effort

Seeing as you quoted me........

I mentioned our congregation sponsored a perfectly legal trip for congregants to visit Cuba. We considered joining them but the date did not work for us. Many, many Americans have legally (and illegally) visited Cuba and continue to daily. When you mention "being creative about spending money", that is not anything I am interested in. If one must "be creative", it sounds questionable exactly how legal you actually believed those trips to be. Everyone has their personal comfort level and that is outside mine. Best wishes and happy travel.

Seeing as you quoted me........

I mentioned our congregation sponsored a perfectly legal trip for congregants to visit Cuba. We considered joining them but the date did not work for us. Many, many Americans have legally (and illegally) visited Cuba and continue to daily. When you mention "being creative about spending money", that is not anything I am interested in. If one must "be creative", it sounds questionable exactly how legal you actually believed those trips to be. Everyone has their personal comfort level and that is outside mine. Best wishes and happy travel.

Some times stepping out of the comfort factor is what makes life worth living. Best wishes and happy travel to you also.:D

Archived