Credit Card Foreign Transaction Fees

rheasue38

I'd suggest you do the following:

a) Find out if they charge a foreign currency transaction fee - many here have posted that they don't but you should confirm.

b) Take a look at the terms and conditions (likely somewhere on their website) regarding the fee they charge as a "commission" - usually this around 2.5%. I don't think you'll get around the commission but it's nice to know.

c) Check the spread (in %) between the US$ and AUD$ on the site you were looking at.

If c-(a+b)> 0 then you should charge to the CC in AUD. If c-(a+b)< 0 then have them do the charge in US$

CarribeanSun,

Don't know what info. you need. I will be using a CapitalOne MC. From what I've read, I should ask to be charged in AUD rather than USD. I plan to join a local credit union or get a BoA atm card, or like the other poster suggested, open a Schwab acct. to use to get cash once I'm in Australia. Thanks for the explanation of the exchange rates. Is my understanding above correct? Thanks.

LOL - no I'm not, thought that approach would be easier to follow.

In English without the math equation:

If the fees related to the CC are more than the spread on the purchase then have them charge the CC in US$

If the spread on the purchase is more than the fees on the CC then have them charge the CC in AUD$

Hmmm...I guess that would have been easier to follow after all.:o

Very impressive! Now, if I could only follow that(lol).

Are you a mathematician?

Archived