Life vest drill

iluvazsun

Anyone ever NOT do this? Seems they keep pounding on your stateroom door like they know you're in there! I just d read this part of the cruise...been there done that 4 times! It's usually crowded, hot, and you can never hear what they're saying anyways.

Are we allowed to skip it?

They say its mandatory...I have had some friends hide in there room without trouble...but the room stewards are suppose to check all rooms to be clear...now they dont always of coarse...

In Nov on the Liberty, Butch stood on the bridge and called people out who were standing on there balconies...bout the funniest things ive heard..

Butch..."hey you, on the balcony in the orange shirt with the drink...yeah you..to your muster station please"

And he kept going for about 15mins of calling people out...it was good times.

Unfortunately, the more people who try to hide out the longer it takes. Like a PP said they can see people on the balconys and it's fustrating to have those jerks slowing down the whole process.

There have been some improvements though. On the Dream your muster station is in a lounge or a dining room and you don't have to go out on deck at all. On the Fantasy last year the safety breifing was also head while we were seated in the theater, but then everyone that could do stairs was asked to go line up out on deck.

You no longer have to take with you.

Anyone ever NOT do this? Seems they keep pounding on your stateroom door like they know you're in there! I just d read this part of the cruise...been there done that 4 times! It's usually crowded, hot, and you can never hear what they're saying anyways.

Are we allowed to skip it?

Is this from personal experience? :p

Our room steward checked ours. I had permission to stay back with the two little ones. We have a 3yo with autism who does not do well in crowded situations like that. They handed out the instructions to me at the purser's desk. You do need (should have anyway) a legitimate reason not to attend. You don't have to take your vests anymore, so it isn't much trouble.

I've never understood the logic of not attending,,especially since it is so easy now. Is it pure laziness, stuidity, or the old "it's my vacation and no one can tell me what to do" attitude? I can't believe you can't take 30 minutes out of your day. You'd save yourself 10 bucks or so by not drinking in that time.

Of course,,that doesn't count for those that physically can't attend,,however how do those people get off a ship in an emergency? Just wondering.......

I've never understood the logic of not attending,,especially since it is so easy now. Is it pure laziness, stuidity, or the old "it's my vacation and no one can tell me what to do" attitude? I can't believe you can't take 30 minutes out of your day. You'd save yourself 10 bucks or so by not drinking in that time.

Of course,,that doesn't count for those that physically can't attend,,however how do those people get off a ship in an emergency? Just wondering.......

But - I bet that the people that didn't go to the safety briefing would be the first ones to sue Carnival in the event of a disaster at sea for not properly preparing them.

I think it's just a flat-out "I doan wanna!" that generally goes with any sort of fire drill/safety briefing.

They are usually assigned crew members to give them special assistance getting to their muster stations and off the ship. At least that's the plan. Thank God I've never experienced it first-hand.

Mom had mobility issues and used a wheelchair (but we went to every drill anyway) and I asked the Purser's Desk (I refuse to call it Guest Services :mad:) what would happen if there was a real emergency and they said theyd send a big stong crewman to the cabin to hoist her over their shoulder and haul her to safety ..... she said make him cute okay? :D:rolleyes:

Mom had mobility issues and used a wheelchair (but we went to every drill anyway) and I asked the Purser's Desk (I refuse to call it Guest Services :mad:) what would happen if there was a real emergency and they said theyd send a big stong crewman to the cabin to hoist her over their shoulder and haul her to safety ..... she said make him cute okay? :D:rolleyes:

I would have been forced to carry a kicking and screaming pre-schooler :mad: Should I request a cute guy to help me next time? DH may get upset with me though LOL We do make the older boys attend (and they attended when they were 3 also), but that one would make everyone miserable for the drill.

I don't get why it's "better" now, that they don't require you to bring and put on your lifevest? Seems to me, it's rather important to know HOW to put on your life vest, and how to help someone else put on their life vest, in a real emergency....

It's 20-30 minutes out of your cruise, not a big deal. Yes, you've heard it before (assuming you've been on previous cruises). You've heard the Lord's Prayer before, too -- if you're Christian. Does that make you not go to church?

A few years ago while sailing with another cruise line, the emergency signal was sounded in the wee hours of the morning. Remembering the procedure from the drill, we went to our muster station. We had to walk around closed fire doors while the ship filled with smoke. While walking, an idiot stuck his head out of his cabin and asked, "What do we do?". What do you bet he skipped the drill? You never know when things will turn bad.

Go to the drill! After 30 minutes, enjoy your cruise!

The ship was the Star Princess. For those that don't know about this event a search will give you plenty to read.

I don't get why it's "better" now, that they don't require you to bring and put on your lifevest? Seems to me, it's rather important to know HOW to put on your life vest, and how to help someone else put on their life vest, in a real emergency....

It's 20-30 minutes out of your cruise, not a big deal. Yes, you've heard it before (assuming you've been on previous cruises). You've heard the Lord's Prayer before, too -- if you're Christian. Does that make you not go to church?

The vest is demonstrated during the drill. The practice was updated because of the simplicity of today’s vests and to cut down on the tripping hazards’ on the steps from guests being unable to see and/or dragging their straps before and after the drill. One is more than welcome to wear their vest to the drill but secure the straps. By the way it is still 20-30 minutes out of your cruise.

Sure love being lectured. Have a great day.

The vests are pretty self-explanatory. Head goes in the hole, strap goes around the body. I daresay even a small child can figure it out with a minimum of pondering.

:rolleyes:

Why do you assume everyone's heard the Lord's Prayer or goes to church for that matter? Bad example for an important point.

Yes, definitely go. If something really does happen, you'll need to know what to do. Who are you going to ask? Another passenger? They'll be headed to their muster station, and they aren't likely to know which one is yours. A crew member? Many will be busy helping disabled passengers, directing traffic, and, if needed, getting lifeboats ready. I'm sure they'll stop and help you, but it will slow you down if you have to find someone and ask, and it will slow them down when they need to be doing their primary jobs. Does the safety of those around you mean nothing to you?

Don't be stupid. Go to the drill.

The vests are pretty self-explanatory. Head goes in the hole, strap goes around the body. I daresay even a small child can figure it out with a minimum of pondering.

:rolleyes:

Why do you assume everyone's heard the Lord's Prayer or goes to church for that matter? Bad example for an important point.

I said "if you're Christian". If you're not, just ignore.

Archived