Cape Town to Cape Town - lost and stolen luggage

kpercy

Whilst this is slightly off topic I feel I should share our end of cruise experiences with you.

My wife and I have just reached 60. We returned from a great cruise on WIND in SA during February this year celebrating this magical age.!

Prior to leaving the ship we had most of our cloths laundered and packed in plastic and tissue paper.

We flew from Cape Town to London Heathrow ( being brits) via Johannesburg. We had First Class tickets.

On landing in Heathrow we waited over an hour for our two suitcases. Neither arrived. We contacted the FIRST lost luggage service who advised that our bags were still in JNB but would be placed on the next days flight.

Our bags arrived by courier 4 days later, locked and security straps intact.

When we opened the cases both had been ransacked. In my case nothing had been taken.

However my wife had most of her underwear stolen along with handbags, perfume and other items on clothing. Distressingly it appeared that other items of clothing had been tried on. Makeup and lipsticks had also been stolen.

We immediately contacted BA and filled in a claim form. We were only allowed 50% of the value of the missing items because we had no receipts. Who keeps receipts for underwear and perfume etc!

It then became a battle with BA. We dealt with 5 different agents - all by email. Whilst they were apologetic they appeared to be completely uncaring. We finally settled out of dispair and vowed to learn from this experience.

1. Never expect any additional help or understanding from BA even when travelling FIRST.

2. Always keep receipts for everything.

3. Be very wary when travelling through JNB.

PS

Great cruise though - as always

It then became a battle with BA. We dealt with 5 different agents - all by email. Whilst they were apologetic they appeared to be completely uncaring. We finally settled out of dispair and vowed to learn from this experience.

1. Never expect any additional help or understanding from BA even when travelling FIRST.

2. Always keep receipts for everything.

3. Be very wary when travelling through JNB.

PS

Sorry about your lost, but it can happen on any airline and at any airport. It happened to me in a flight from Milan to Los Angeles via London. In my case, the airlines (American Airlines on Transatlantic and British Airways on intra-Europe) paid a fraction of the lost items. Lost some used designer pants, a brand new pair of jeans (purchased in Milan, so I had a receipt) and a Prada backpack. The backpack was a few years old, so it was time to change to the new messenger type bag anyway :D.

Wait, the only think in common here is London, maybe London is the problem :rolleyes::eek::D Just kidding!!!

JNB is notorious for luggage being ransacked. Last time I flew through there they shrunk wrapped all my bags before checking them.

Shrink wrapping cases is a brilliant idea...they offer this service at Sydney if u r travelling to Bali.

Another place notorious for theft is Moscow. I worked for Aeroflot for awhile and many of our passengers had to transit Moscow in order to get to Yugoslavia. So much luggage departed Sydney never to be seen again.

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

We immediately contacted BA and filled in a claim form. We were only allowed 50% of the value of the missing items because we had no receipts. Who keeps receipts for underwear and perfume etc!

Regarding receipts, we now live in a credit card world. With paying for over 90% of things by credit card we can usually obtain many receipts. The ones that would be missing for us would be clothing purchased in markets while traveling, not what you mentioned.

Archived