How to buy transfers to airport

KP&BP

I am reading about the chaos at embarkation at Port Everglades with so many passengers needing taxis and not enough to go around because of the volume from Oasis of the Seas. I think I have read that bus transfers can be purchased to take us back to the airport. How are these purchased and has anyone had an experience that you would share - good or bad? I am wanting to have my transportation arranged in advance to the airport if there are any other recommendations. Thank you.

You can either buy them through your TA or wait until you are on the ship. They will be listed on the Shore Excursion's List for Ft Lauderdale.

We have been in Ft lauderdale when there were 10 ships -- some Mega -- and have never had a problem getting a taxi.

One thing to keep in mind -- the bus won't leave the pier until it is completely filled with all those assigned to it. I have read here where a couple of people mentioned that they had to wait nearly an hour for one couple to come.

HAL transfers in Ft Lauderdale are something of a rip-off for the very short distance you have to go. The transfers will cost $17 per person, while a taxi for two will cost about the same including the tip.

Ft Lauderdale does have the taxi capacity to handle a large number of cruise passengers. Even before the Oasis started sailing, there have been many times when there were 8 to 10 ships there, totalling 18,000 people. Besides your ship and then Oasis, how many others will be there on your day? (check cruisett.com) If there's only 2 or 3 others, I think I would allow extra time and plan on taking a taxi.

I have taken the bus transfer to the airport and yes they did raise the price to $17.00 pp. For me/us there has never been a problem. When you fill out your transfer for the front desk, you let them know what time your flight departs and they schedule it accordingly.

Only once did I take a taxi to the airport and yes it was a few dollars less. However, after the tip to the driver, it came out about the same.

It's really up to you.. Whatever you decide, hope you have a great cruise!

I generally take HAL transfers as I usually travel solo. I've rarely had to wait more then about 10 minutes before the bus leaves. It works out fine for me although I could see that it may be cheaper for couples to take a taxi.

When we were waiting to get off the ship in Ft. Lauderdale we could see from our balcony what looked like a mile of taxi's waiting to take people where ever they wanted to go.

Before you get into the taxi ask price. They will sometimes try to charge too much. I didn't do this and taxi driver told us it was $30. while we were driving to airport. I didn't argue. He didn't get a tip. Actually, he got a nice tip. It was much easier then getting on a bus.

Almost always I take the HAL transfer. In Ft. Lauderdale, I would take the taxi. The price is the same, for me, so that's a wash. There's never a long wait with the bus, so that's not a problem.

But with a HAL transfer at this airport, the bus lets you off between terminals. Then it's a bit of a hike back to the curb-side check-in. A taxi lets you off right there. When I have two pieces of luggage, and two carry-ons, that's a lot to drag back.

But with a HAL transfer at this airport, the bus lets you off between terminals. Then it's a bit of a hike back to the curb-side check-in. A taxi lets you off right there. When I have two pieces of luggage, and two carry-ons, that's a lot to drag back.

That's true, I forgot about that. It is a bit of a pain.

Archived