Bahamas Tornado !!!

jaja

wow, who thinks of Tornados in the Caribbean?

Nita

No they are very common indeed. Most of them are waterspouts but occasionally one will make it to shore.

There was footage of a tornado in downtown Miami a few years back.

On a cruise to the Caribbean I saw one on the beach at Cane Garden Bay, Tortola. It was out to sea a bit, so no threat to us but it was cool to watch.

As a kid in Miami, I saw one up close in Biscayne Bay while on a boat. When it dissipated (before hitting land) the water it sucked up came swirling back down and doused us.

My friend that lived at the end of the street in Miami had his house hit by a tornado. They are pretty weak, unlike the killer storms in Tornado Alley, but like the article says, they can knock over a crane. But typically no one in the Caribbean takes them too seriously because they are so weak.

Now in Alabama, they have them so strong they peel the asphalt off the road and suck people out of their basements. An F5 hit very close to my ex-in-laws house and killed people... just sucked them out of their house, and then nothing left but the foundation and a greasy spot.

That level of destruction does not happen in the Caribbean, AFAIK.

Archived