GTY Stateroom

CT Cruiser10

I booked a guarantee oceanview stateroom on the Spirit for the August 27th sailing. I have never booked a GTY before. What can I expect? Am I pretty much getting the lowest available room? I was told that my room can be assigned at any time between now and 2 weeks before the cruise. I'm fine with whatever room I get, but it would be cool to end up with a balcony.

Can anybody share their experience with GTY booking? Where did you end up and when were you assigned?

I think just reading some of the other threads/post in here will give you a good answer (do a search on GTW) :)

This worked fine (well, searching GTY worked). I went through the 8 pages of threads and didn't see anythink that looked like what I wanted. I didn't think of using the search function.

This worked fine (well, searching GTY worked). I went through the 8 pages of threads and didn't see anythink that looked like what I wanted. I didn't think of using the search function.

Took me awhile to figure that one out myself as well :D

I've only used it once, but it worked out well. I don't remember exact categories, but I did end up with a cabin several categories higher than the GTY cabin and in a decent location. It was also assigned several months in advance and never changed, but I was aware that it could at any time.

I'd do it again if the price incentive were right. I just do it realizing I might end up with the "worst" cabin w/in a given category, but I also stand a decent chance of upgrading to a better cabin.

If a specific location is important (mid-ship, aft, etc.) you might be better booking a specific room. If you're flexible, GTY can be a good deal.

Every now and then a "guarantee" cruiser posts on the board that he or she got a great upgrade. Then again, every now and then a cruiser angrily posts that he or she got assigned to a lousy cabin and wants out of it.

I've booked GTY rooms many times. I've often received a better room within the same category (example: oceanview on deck 5 to oceanview on deck 7) but never been moved to a different category (example: oceanview to balcony).

It is highly unlikely that you would be moved from an oceanview to a balcony.

I never book a room as a GTY unless I know I will be happy with any room within the same category. I'm not picky so if i get moved up a deck or go from mid-ship to aft it really doesn't matter to me at all. You really spend so little time in the room that it really makes no difference to me. I need a place to sleep and shower and I'm good. :)

I've booked GTY rooms many times. I've often received a better room within the same category (example: oceanview on deck 5 to oceanview on deck 7) but never been moved to a different category (example: oceanview to balcony).

It is highly unlikely that you would be moved from an oceanview to a balcony.

I never book a room as a GTY unless I know I will be happy with any room within the same category. I'm not picky so if i get moved up a deck or go from mid-ship to aft it really doesn't matter to me at all. You really spend so little time in the room that it really makes no difference to me. I need a place to sleep and shower and I'm good. :)

I'm happy no matter where I go. I would just as well have an inside room, but I hate waking up in pitch black and the deal on GTY oceanview was too good to pass up. I don't mind being on deck 4 with a porthole, but it would be cool to be on deck 8 with a picture window. We're all going to the same island.

I'll clarify my post. It's early in WY and I haven't had any coffee yet.

I picked the wrong wording. I was moved up cabin levels w/in the same category, but didn't switch categories. If anyone breaks the code on how to book an inside GTY and end up in a balcony or suite, please share the secret. :)

I'm happy no matter where I go. I would just as well have an inside room, but I hate waking up in pitch black and the deal on GTY oceanview was too good to pass up. I don't mind being on deck 4 with a porthole, but it would be cool to be on deck 8 with a picture window. We're all going to the same island.

In the future, you might want to try using the trick that has been suggested here on CC a number of times - book the inside. Then, before you go to sleep, turn on your cabin tv, tune to the ship's bridge cam channel, and turn the volume completely down. During the night, the tv's picture will remain pretty much black but will slowly light up as the sun rises. Voila! No pitch blackness when you wake up.

In the future, you might want to try using the trick that has been suggested here on CC a number of times - book the inside. Then, before you go to sleep, turn on your cabin tv, tune to the ship's bridge cam channel, and turn the volume completely down. During the night, the tv's picture will remain pretty much black but will slowly light up as the sun rises. Voila! No pitch blackness when you wake up.

That is a good tip. Maybe I can hang a towel over the TV like a window curtain. Then I get oceanview for the price of an inside.

We booked our first GTY on the Sky in October and would not do it again. Booked the highest cat of OV hoping and wishing for a possible balcony upgrade, but got the exact cat of OV that we booked. We were with another couple who also booked the GTY. They put us way in the back of the ship, and the other couple way in the front. Neither of our cabins were anywhere near an elevator. The cruise was great and no problems with the room other than location.

We booked an inside GTY once on the POA also hoping for a better room - it never came.

While all was generally good on the trip, we were put completely aft (inside). Our room was assigned fairly well in advance of the trip (months) and it never changed.

We booked two cabins through GTY and asked that they be close together. They provided the assignments early and they never changed--inside, aft, next door to each other. I was impressed that they honored our request, even with the GTY category.

Guarantees are definitely not for everyone. It's been said before, but for the uninitiated out there, here's the rule of thumb: book a guarantee ONLY if you're willing to take the worst cabin in the guarantee category. And before you book it, study the deck plans carefully to see where you might end up. If you're not happy with any of the potential cabins, you should not book the guarantee. You're much better off booking a specific cabin. And here's another thing - even if you are given a free upgrade, make sure that THOSE potential cabins meet your needs. For example, it's not unheard of for someone with an Inside Guarantee to be assigned to an Oceanview that happens to be located in an undesired part of the ship (obviously, undesired varies with the individual, but it could be under the disco, under the buffet's galley, etc.). If you don't want to take the chance of being assigned to those types of cabins, then don't book the guarantee.

With guarantees, assume the worst, and hope for the best but don't complain if you don't get it. Do your homework.

did the GTY once and was given what i thought was the worst cabin inside possible...and then another time i was asked if i wanted to book OV GTY well NOPE cos probably would be OBSTRUCTED view and would defeat the reason for the OV...

on our PC sailing in dec we booked inside and were UPGRADED to an OV which was just WONDERFUL--no OBSTRUCTION what so over...i would NEVER book GTY cos with my LUCK that is what is would end up the WORST in the cat.

Archived