An Ice Rink?

DECRAIN

THE SPA – is the largest at sea, even larger than Oasis (according to NCL). The gym is HUGE , also the largest at sea – countless treadmills, spinning room, pilates machine room, aerobics room, workout machines, etc. Other activities include rock climbing wall, repelling wall, huge water slides, ice skating, gravity blast, yoga and even bungee jumping.

Ewww, I hope not! That's one Royal Caribbean gimic they can keep!

Very considerate of NCL to provide a personalised mini-ice rink...on the floor outside each stateroom bathroom....just make sure your room-service steward doesnt end up doing a Triple Salko with your breakfast tray :D

Ewww, I hope not! That's one Royal Caribbean gimic they can keep!

I totally agree. Having sailed RC before and not NCL I can tell you that the ice rink is the biggest waste of space. OK they do a very good ice show and a few people use it for skating but if I were RC I would do away with gimmicks like the ice rink and Royal Promenade and provide more eating, drinking and entertainment facilities for the passengers.

I totally agree. Having sailed RC before and not NCL I can tell you that the ice rink is the biggest waste of space. OK they do a very good ice show and a few people use it for skating but if I were RC I would do away with gimmicks like the ice rink and Royal Promenade and provide more eating, drinking and entertainment facilities for the passengers.

eh?...In what way are they gimmicks?...RC's ice rinks are wonderful...passengers love them and the shows are the most spectacular Ive seen at sea.........and the promenade is awash with dining options and hugely popular with cruisers....

Ice Rink Mystery:

DH told me that there will be an "ice" rink next to the basketball court. It won´t have ice but a special kind of plastic surface which is suitable for ice skateing. Currently it´s not installed yet because they had problems with the sports court (the green paint sort of "flowed" away with the rain).

I saw this type of "ice" rink at a local Christmas market here in Germany. Seems like it´s working pretty well.

How about figure skateing in your swim suit under the Caribbean sun :D:D!

steamboats

eh?...In what way are they gimmicks?...RC's ice rinks are wonderful...passengers love them and the shows are the most spectacular Ive seen at sea.........and the promenade is awash with dining options and hugely popular with cruisers....

Errrrrr no they are not

On Voyager class you have an ice rink

For dining you have

1. MDR

2. Portofino

3. Windjammer

4. Johnny Rockets (disgusting muck)

5. Promenade Cafe

Awash with dining options ????? I don't think so

Freedom class offers exactly the same plus Chops Grille

There are about 17 dining options on Epic

As for ice skating, you and I both know that barely anyone sees the ice show due to VERY limited number of seats for a 3500 passenger vessel and hardly anyone skates. It's a silly gimmick.

Errrrrr no they are not

On Voyager class you have an ice rink

For dining you have

1. MDR

2. Portofino

3. Windjammer

4. Johnny Rockets (disgusting muck)

5. Promenade Cafe

Awash with dining options ????? I don't think so

Freedom class offers exactly the same plus Chops Grille

There are about 17 dining options on Epic

As for ice skating, you and I both know that barely anyone sees the ice show due to VERY limited number of seats for a 3500 passenger vessel and hardly anyone skates. It's a silly gimmick.

nice to see you're so open minded about it :D....Im sure RCL are gutted........personally loved it, as did everyone I know who experienced it.....cant please everyone I guess

i read a blog from someone who's on the transatlantic and he said there IS an "ice" rink on the sports deck...i believe he said they cover the basketball court with the portable faux ice squares...he saw the ice skates hanging there ready for use as well...sooo....the brochure IS CORRECT!!!!

i read a blog from someone who's on the transatlantic and he said there IS an "ice" rink on the sports deck...i believe he said they cover the basketball court with the portable faux ice squares...he saw the ice skates hanging there ready for use as well...sooo....the brochure IS CORRECT!!!!

I saw it too..I think it was on the Madhatters blog...and she went searching until she found it....AND SHE FOUND IT!

Um, you do know that they have more than one show? Anyone who wants to see the ice show certainly can.

I happen to love the ice shows on the Royal Caribbean ships. It's an innovative idea that they put on their Voyager class ships and if it wasn't popular, I'm sure they would not have put it on Oasis.

:)

Um, you do know that they have more than one show? Anyone who wants to see the ice show certainly can.

I happen to love the ice shows on the Royal Caribbean ships. It's an innovative idea that they put on their Voyager class ships and if it wasn't popular, I'm sure they would not have put it on Oasis.

Um....untrue

We sailed Explorer last month and despite there being 2 shows our friends couldn't get tickets for either.

Um....untrue

We sailed Explorer last month and despite there being 2 shows our friends couldn't get tickets for either.

And if they had simply shown up they probably could have been seated once those with tickets had entered the venue. A number of the ships have actually eliminated tickets and to say that only a "small" number of passengers actually see the show is ridiculously inaccurate. We have yet to encounter a situation where it was not possible to see any of the entertainment that was offered, unless we had a scheduling conflict and there was another activity being offered at the same time, which we chose to do instead.

Um....untrue

And if they had simply shown up they probably could have been seated once those with tickets had entered the venue. A number of the ships have actually eliminated tickets and to say that only a "small" number of passengers actually see the show is ridiculously inaccurate. We have yet to encounter a situation where it was not possible to see any of the entertainment that was offered, unless we had a scheduling conflict and there was another activity being offered at the same time, which we chose to do instead.

Just speaking from experience. Our friends went to Guest relations to be told "Im sorry but all of the tickets have now gone".

No one told them to try their luck on the night as it was "Strictly ticket only" according to the Cruise Compass. Oh well, I understand there were 3 falls during one of the ice shows anyway.

Serious question......>Why did they even bother ?

:D:D:D

I told you it´s just a special plastic surface next to the sports court. O.k., it´s still not finished...

BTW on the Liberty of the Seas we didn´t need any tickets for the ice show. On the Oasis there were multiple shows (daytime and nighttime) and we made reservations online. And yes, we did ice skateing on both ships.

steamboats

I've been on 3 RCL cruises and have seen the ice show each time. I think it's a neat feature and the show is not to be missed. I don't think of it as a gimmick, and I love the Royal Promenade too. :D

Serious question......>Why did they even bother ?

And if anyone really thinks that the Ice Rinks on RCI are a "waste of space", how would you describe this? Only saving grace is that given its size, the wasted space is limited.:)

Thought I'd post another shot. Crew I spoke with said the "ice" rink, which feels like a waxed plastic cutting board, would probably be open during only three days of a seven-night cruise. "People like to play basketball and soccer more," said the guy handing out the skates.

Norwegian-Epic-Ice-Skating.jpg

On the TA cruise my son and husband DID ice skate. It is true that it is on the sports deck, it breaks down and will only take about 1/2 of the sports court up at night (2 nights a week???). It was a last minute addition and they plan to set the rink up in the evenings to let people skate, they are still in the process of getting the"kinks" worked out. The material is a artificial ice (plastic-called superglide) and it uses a water based spray to make it glide better. The "plastic" ice has more friction, so it doesn't feel exactly like real ice but is a great cost alternative to "real ice." NCL has skates to borrow and you put them on and go. It was totally fun and my son and husband had a blast, just another option to do in the evenings.

The teen club was using it and many people tried for a half hour and then moved on, my son used it for almost 2 hours. It was one of the highlights of my son's trip-go figure...

But yes there is an "ice rink" under the stars.

Archived