stroller confusion?

melanie1877

Hi,

I read in a review on the Carnival message board that you should not bring anything larger than an umbrella stroller, because it would not fit through the door of the stateroom. Do you think they meant opened or folded? It would have to be opened I think, otherwise how the heck would you fit your luggage through the door.;) My question is, I have the Jeep all terrain stroller with the big all terrain wheels that I was planning on bringing along. I know that it takes up a lot more space than a little umbrella stroller, but it is so nice to push, and I can take it on the beach, through the dirt, grass, rocks with no problem. Plus it is larger, so my 3yo can recline and relax in it quite comfortably. Do you think this would be a problem? Specifically, with space? I was thinking that I could store it out on the balcony, that way it wouldn't be in the way in the room. Is this allowed? Thanks in advance for the input!

You can't store anything on the balcony.

The hallways are quite narrow and I would imagine that you would have a hard time getting a stroller like that through if someone is approaching from the opposite direction or there are cleaning carts in the hallway.

You can bring something larger, but it's true that the hallways are sort of narrow....if it will fold up, then it can fit somewhere in the cabin....under the bed, in a corner, etc....

Bring what will make your little one comfortable!

I'm not familiar with your stroller, but I've always brought a full size double stroller (front/back, not side-by-side). At times I've had to fold it to get it through the stateroom door (not on every ship), and it means always waiting for an elevator when out and about, but otherwise, it's been no problem at all - and well worth having something comfortable for my tots, plus durable enough to handle the rough roads, sidewalks in port.

You will have to park it in your cabin - it can't be on the balcony or in the hall, but I just fold it up or park it against a wall.

Best,

Mia

Based on reviews on this board, we bought a Maclaren lightweight stroller when we went on our first cruise with DS 2 years ago. (it's now DS' favorite stroller we have, although we don't use it much in-town anymore since it's 2 1/2). It fully reclines and has a large visor for shade (and has a rain protector thing... yeah, like I'm going to use that here in Phoenix. lol) The basket is fairly roomy (still smaller than my full size stroller) and it has larger wheels and pushes great - also has a handle for easy carrying. NOT as good as what you mention for grass, beaches, etc., but it was a good compromise. I would have probably thrown my full size stroller overboard after the first day trying to navigate it around the housecleaning carts that are always in the halls, tight elevators, etc.

Agree with op, bring what you think will most make your little one comfy. For me, it would be way more hassle than it was worth. But, if your shore excursions are very beach heavy and it's important to you, bring it as long as you know you'll have to fold/unfold it and possibly wait awhile to navigate places. It also depends on how much you are planning to use it on the ship - or if it's really just for airport, shore excursions, etc. That could make a big difference in how much it's worth to bring.

and has a rain protector thing... yeah, like I'm going to use that here in Phoenix. lol

I know that this is out of topic, but couldn't resist. Our stroller had a rain protector and because I live in LA, never used it and totally forget about it. Well, we were in our excursion in Florence and have this sudden storm and got all wet. Of course, we had not packed the rain protector and have to run for shelter, luckily, we were close to the hotel that we were suppose to have lunch and our guide directed us there. We missed our tour and have to go in our own, it was OK, but we lost a lot of time waiting for the rain to stop. We caught the group at lunch time in the same hotel.

So, if you have a stroller rain protector, take with you, you never know if you will need it. For adults is easy to get umbrellas or ponchos (they will sell it to you in a minute) but for the kids in the stroller it is hard to find something to cover them.

We travel with a Combi Soho/Savvy.

It is very light weight but solid. Stronger than an umbrella stroller.

Our kids were out of the stroller at 18mo and 2 yrs.

I can definitely see one of those full size strollers being tough to navigate arounf the ship.

Thanks for all the help, guys! I think I'm going to just bring it along. I don't really plan on using it on the ship much at all (after all, my ds is three), maybe just for an evening stroll. I really want the stroller for excursions, and in every port, I plan on doing a beach (cocoa beach, blue lagoon, our lucaya), so I think it will be worth the hassle. As long it will fit in the room without causing me too much grief. I've never been on a cruise before, but I've heard that the rooms are very small. I guess we'll just make it work!:) Thanks again for all the advice!

Hi,

I read in a review on the Carnival message board that you should not bring anything larger than an umbrella stroller, because it would not fit through the door of the stateroom. Do you think they meant opened or folded? It would have to be opened I think, otherwise how the heck would you fit your luggage through the door.;) My question is, I have the Jeep all terrain stroller with the big all terrain wheels that I was planning on bringing along. I know that it takes up a lot more space than a little umbrella stroller, but it is so nice to push, and I can take it on the beach, through the dirt, grass, rocks with no problem. Plus it is larger, so my 3yo can recline and relax in it quite comfortably. Do you think this would be a problem? Specifically, with space? I was thinking that I could store it out on the balcony, that way it wouldn't be in the way in the room. Is this allowed? Thanks in advance for the input!

We bring our Phil and Ted's double stroller (one seat in front, one in back) on every cruise. it just fits thru the door to the cabin on our RCCL ship.

You can store whatever you want on your balcony.

As a rule of thumb we bring whatever we feel we are going to need with us on the cruise. If we realize that we either didn't need it or it was too cumbersome, we do not bring it the next time we go.

Thanks for all the help, guys! I think I'm going to just bring it along. I don't really plan on using it on the ship much at all (after all, my ds is three), maybe just for an evening stroll. I really want the stroller for excursions, and in every port, I plan on doing a beach (cocoa beach, blue lagoon, our lucaya), so I think it will be worth the hassle. As long it will fit in the room without causing me too much grief. I've never been on a cruise before, but I've heard that the rooms are very small. I guess we'll just make it work!:) Thanks again for all the advice!

Go ahead and bring it. It might be a bit uncomfortable to move it around the ship (hallways, stateroom), but it will make up for that when you use it in port. We are taking our big stroller with us too.. it's a pain to carry around and fly with it, but when our son sits in it comfortable for hours, is protected from the sun, takes a 2 hour nap in it (it really is comfy!), then it just makes it worth it. No way I'm going on any trip without that stroller.

Keep in mind that the Blue Lagoon requires a boat ride each way, and there might be a space issue on that boat. I haven't been to Freeport, but I believe it's a tender port - meaning you'd be transported in a lifeboat each way, and again - space would be at a premium. Good luck, and enjoy your cruise!

Keep in mind that the Blue Lagoon requires a boat ride each way, and there might be a space issue on that boat. I haven't been to Freeport, but I believe it's a tender port - meaning you'd be transported in a lifeboat each way, and again - space would be at a premium. Good luck, and enjoy your cruise!

Freeport isn't a tender port...but it is a boat ride to get to many of the excursions from what I hear.

To OP- if you have a mosquito net for the stroller, don't forget to bring that too. It would make your child more comfy if he/she falls asleep to keep the buggies off!:)

I think the hallways have to be big enough to accomodate a wheelchair, so you should be fine but be mindful if you are going through the halls and someone needs to get by...

Is your stroller light enough to lug around when folded up- if you have to carry it onto the ferry to Blue Lagoon and on/off the ship, etc...I can imagine the jeep stroller may be a bit heavy?

Have a great time!!

Yes, the jeep stroller is definately heavy, but I don't plan on taking the stroller on our excursion to blue lagoon, so weight and space shouldn't be an issue there. I was thinking about after the excursion, when we do the straw market and visit atlantis. Definately would want it then. Also, in FL, for cocoa beach, and especially the pier. No way am I going to end up carrying a 35lb 3yo all over that pier!!:D And as long as we don't have to tender in Freeport, then I could use it there as well.

Thanks again for all the great advice, everyone!

You should bring your normal stroller. Our DD decided not to ride in her stroller on the trip, but it came in hand for carrying our bags on and off the ship plus anything we bought in port could also be put in the stroller. Since I'm the one who normally carries all that stuff, I loved having a stroller to push around. Because my DD wouldn't ride in the stroller my DW carried our DD in a baby sling everywhere with no problems.

We went on a cruise with DS in March, he was just shy of his first birthday. I took our schwinn jogging stroller, which is very large. I had no problems with it around the ship. It did not fit through our stateroom door when open but no problem when folded. I wished we had a balcony stateroom for a few reasons, one would be a place to keep the stroller at night b/c with the crib set up there wasn't much room. We ended up keeping it in my parents room (right next door) at night, and in the hallway during the day. We had an oceanview port side room but all the way aft so we were in the corner and there was room for the stroller in the hall without getting in the way. Another family down the hall had a full size graco that they kept in the hall and it didn't seem to be a problem. If my parents weren't with us I would have removed the rear wheels at night and kept it under the bed, this would obviously been more of a hassel but having that stroller instead of something smaller was a life saver.

DS slept in it a lot b/c he could recline. We did take it when we went to Grand Cayman, which is a tender port. It was no trouble, right before we got up to the tender boat I carried DS and DH carried the stroller, a worker from the boat placed the stroller in front of the unused exit on the boat and got the stroller off for us when we got to land.

Our cruise was very enjoyable and I credit having our monster stroller.

We went on a cruise with DS in March, he was just shy of his first birthday. I took our schwinn jogging stroller, which is very large. I had no problems with it around the ship. It did not fit through our stateroom door when open but no problem when folded. I wished we had a balcony stateroom for a few reasons, one would be a place to keep the stroller at night b/c with the crib set up there wasn't much room. We ended up keeping it in my parents room (right next door) at night, and in the hallway during the day. We had an oceanview port side room but all the way aft so we were in the corner and there was room for the stroller in the hall without getting in the way. Another family down the hall had a full size graco that they kept in the hall and it didn't seem to be a problem. If my parents weren't with us I would have removed the rear wheels at night and kept it under the bed, this would obviously been more of a hassel but having that stroller instead of something smaller was a life saver.

DS slept in it a lot b/c he could recline. We did take it when we went to Grand Cayman, which is a tender port. It was no trouble, right before we got up to the tender boat I carried DS and DH carried the stroller, a worker from the boat placed the stroller in front of the unused exit on the boat and got the stroller off for us when we got to land.

Our cruise was very enjoyable and I credit having our monster stroller.

Thanks for the tips, Marksmom. I decided I'm going to take the jeep stroller with us, even if it is cumbersome. I think the benefits of having our son's "ride" (as he calls it :)), outweigh the hassle. Thanks again!!

Archived