First time traveling with young children

harbor_light

We are traveling with three of our grandchildren ages 2, 4 and 6. I wanted to know if children feel the motion of the ship more than adults? If they become seasick what can you give them? We are traveling to Mexico the last week of July and I'm not sure what to expect. If you brought your kids to dinner would you please share your experience. We are sailing on Carnival Splendor. Thank you for your response.

They notice it less...especially the younger they are! Very small children are "wobbly" by nature...they don't know if it's the ship or not!

The older you get, the more prone to motion issues you become.

The dining room is MORE THAN WELCOMING to kids....don't fear...enjoy!

I'd be curious what you can give a 2 year old for motion sickness too...just in case. Can you give them children's Dramamine, or is 2 too young for that?

I probably wouldn't. I would get ginger candy (maybe in sucker form if they have it) and just give them that.

I would consult with the kid's pediatrician to get an expert opinion on the little ones. When we started cruising with the kids the youngest was 4. Our pediatrician, who also cruises with his family, said that we could give the kids Bonine for children if they needed it. But, we've only had to give to one of the kids one time - that was a very rough night in the Gulf of Mexico.

On the dining room question - our kids always eat dinner with us in the dining room. We've always had wonderful dining room staff who go out of the way to make sure the kids have a good time. Our last cruise our waiter's assistant would make napkin animals - the same sort as the towel animals - for the kids. She even saw us in the Brasserie at breakfast and made a different animal and brought it over.

We had kids 4, 6 and 10 in our group on our last cruise. None of them felt a thing motion-wise (and our last sea day was rockin' and a rollin', for sure). And all of them behaved well at dinner, without a problem and without exception. I had packed Ginger Altoids incase, but no one ever needed any.

Consult your pediatrician -- but this question comes up often.

Honestly, your grandchildren are on the young side, so they are too young for most of the medicines.

Children Age 6-12 can have Children's Formula Bonine and Dramamine.

Another one is CHILDREN'S Formula Benedryl.

As others have said, maybe some ginger or ginger lollipops.

Our little one will be 17 months old when we go on our cruise next month. He loves the ginger cookies that Whole Foods sells -- I can't think of the brand right now, but the tag line under it is "The Traveler's Friend" -- so I'm hoping those will be sufficient for him (and for his dad, who also is concerned about getting seasick!). I'm also planning to take Pedialyte in case he does get sick enough to throw up.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are worried and want to make sure you have something in case they are impacted by the motion, you can get motion sickness bracelets ( just like the adult ones, but FUN neon colors and child size). You can order online or have a local pharmacy get them ( NO PRESCRIPTION NECESSARY). We took our 2 1/2 year old several years ago and were concerned due to high seas in South America. We had 15 foot for over 28 hours and she wore her " balance bracelet" as we called it. The problem is once they are sick it is hard to recover.

Enjoy

My 4 year old didn't feel the motion or have any issues. My 8 year old and I felt it on the way down to Mexico. First night in the dining room my son asked to go outside and get some fresh air. We started taking some Homeopathic motion sickness stuff and by the nest morning my son was fine. It took me till the evening of the 1st day at sea to feel less affected by the motion.

http://www.supersup.com/homeopathy/single-remedies-t-z/tabacum-30-c.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=pfeed&utm_term=306960720133&utm_campaign=gb

Hylands makes one for Motion sickness as well

http://www.supersup.com/homeopathy/condition-specific-formulas/motion-sickness.html

We are traveling with three of our grandchildren ages 2, 4 and 6. I wanted to know if children feel the motion of the ship more than adults? If they become seasick what can you give them? We are traveling to Mexico the last week of July and I'm not sure what to expect. If you brought your kids to dinner would you please share your experience. We are sailing on Carnival Splendor. Thank you for your response.

We just finished a 10 day cruise with 3 little ones, 1-1/2, 2-1/2 and 5. For dinner have your waiter have food ready for them when you get there. We always had a bowl of strawberries on the table waiting for us. It keeps them interested and busy and holds them over until their food arrives. Be prepared to leave - 1-1/2 to 2 hours is a long time for the 2 and 4 year olds but it can be done. Bring a DVD player or something to keep them interested. We made it through most meals this time - yea! The dining staff is great with kids. Just remember, its long days and out of their usual routine so you might end up eating in the buffet every night or get lucky and eat in the dining room. By the last night the 2-1/2 YO didn't want to get near the restaurant. The same thing happened with her brother when he was that age.

Archived