Sailing this weekend? How early do you have to be at the airport?

We're getting up tomorrow long before the crack of dawn. I have a saintly neighbor who's taking us to the airport at 4:30 a.m. I'll be thinking about the thousands of others who are doing the same thing.

Confirm with the airline but I believe that the recommended time for domestic flights is two hours before departure and for international flights, three hours. Lines at check in and especially at the security check point can be long and slow moving. Hard as it may be to get to the airport at an ungodly hour of the morning, it is better to arrive early and have to wait to board than arrive later and have to worry about making it to the gate before the flight is scheduled to leave. This weekend, being Easter weekend, expect more travelers than normal.

For domestic flights? 1 hour with checked luggage, 45 minutes with carry on only.

AFAIK, most airlines allow you to check in on line these days and if the one you're using does not have that option, they do have kiosks for self-serve check in. A CS rep will be available to print luggage tags once you're done with the self serve kiosk.

What airport in Ohio? We live in Zanesville and fly out of Columbus. We normally get ther 45 min to an hour before with more than enough time. That is the glory of an early flight in a smaller airport.

For domestic flights? 1 hour with checked luggage, 45 minutes with carry on only.

AFAIK, most airlines allow you to check in on line these days and if the one you're using does not have that option, they do have kiosks for self-serve check in. A CS rep will be available to print luggage tags once you're done with the self serve kiosk.

Got to watch this as each airline is different. For example, on Alaska checkin without bags 30 minutes but with checked bags it's 40 minutes. Delta actually has different times for different airports.

Susan :)

The "2 hour rule" really doesn't apply to early morning flights.... at least for me. Here's what I mean..... if you have a 6:30 a.m. flight, getting to the airport at 4:30 a.m. isn't necessary and won't do you much good because many times skycaps, counter agents, TSA folks aren't even there yet.

I usually shoot for arriving two hours before flight time if checking luggage. The airports I use (O'Hare and Midway) both tend to be extremely busy and can have very, very long lines both for checking luggage and security. There also can be lengthy walks to your gate. Most of the time I end up arriving to my gate with lots of time to kill, but that is fine - there is always a Starbucks nearby, a bar, some shops, a food court, internet etc. to pass the time. A couple of occasions it really paid to arrive early as it took well over an hour to get to my gate.

Checking in is no problem, the security lines however are a separate issue, especially in larger airports.

OP, you have a good plan no need to be stressed out on your first day of vacation.

###

Archived