How much money for cruise clothes is enough?

WeirdEyes

How much money for cruise clothes is enough?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. How much money for cruise clothes is enough?

• Under $200
    • $200-$400
    • $500-$700
    • $800-$1,000
    • Over $1,000
    • None of your business ;)

I'm not trying to get personal here....just an idea of what people usually spend on cruise clothes. I'm going to need a whole new wardrobe before our May cruise and need to budget accordingly. I don't have to buy the most expensive clothes, but I don't like cheap either. I don't buy clothes at Wal-Mart, Target, etc., nor do I buy clothes at high-end retailers because I'm too frugal. So, with being said, I think I'll spend about $600 on a formal, shorts, shirts, dresses, and such. I'll buy the formal on sale or online for under $100. Can this be done?

Where I work, I help people shop for cruise clothes all the time and the amount I voted for is the average amount that they spend on clothes. I get a deep discount and have a closet full of things ready to wear. My biggest problem is narrowing down what to take. I only spend $$ on new swimsuits and coverups.

Go back through your closet to see if you can find things that may work for you. Unless you have a big change in weight, I'm sure you will find a few things.

I try to buy good quality at a fair price, I find cheaply made clothing to be no bargain in the long run. Therefore, you will always find me at the sale racks at higher end stores. Since you have until May, you will still be able to find new summer stuff on sale, most stores mark down after 30 days and spring and summer items are already hitting the shelves. Be a little bit patient and it could pay off.

Mix and match a few pieces, wearing pants and shorts twice, wear the same outfit for disembarkation that you did for embarkation. Look for a "little black dress" or any color dress that can be dressed up or down for casual and semi-casual nights. Try not to buy a new pair of shoes for every outfit, it saves $$, packing space and weight allotment for your suitcase. I think you may be able to put together a decent wardrobe for the week for around $600 or less if you shop carefully.

Instead of more clothing purchases, have some items laundered or cleaned onboard, way cheaper than new clothes. Finally, try not to buy "cruise clothes", but rather clothes you will be able to wear this summer around the area where you live.

Our first cruise, I almost spent as much on new clothes as the cruise, you do live and learn!

I know you can do it for less than $600. Don't discount the likes of Target for cute summer things (see the post on this board abut sundresses there) like shorts, tees and sandals. Great buys right now on holiday dresses at most higher end stores. I'm sure you must have at least a few things in your closet that would work. Keep a sharp eye out for sales and you'll do fine!

Kathy

Hi Sheila

Last spring (when I lost that 14 lbs on South Beach) I was so excited to wear a size smaller I bought quite a lot of spring & summer clothes. I NEVER buy anything that's not on sale. I like to shop at Bon/Macy's they always have sales and if you wait awhile you can usually get good quality brands for cheap! I like Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren Polo, Jones of New York, and I have bought jeans for $12, tops for $8 etc. I bought a beautiful skirt and sweater set from Jones spring collection last summr for $14 for the whole outfit. I don't know if you have a Maurice's but I bought quite a few things there last year too--capris, dressy tops, sundresses. I found some great shorts at Old Navy for $15. Oh, and if you have a Ross or TJ MAxx they're great for shorts, tops and sundresses also. Of course, I am a clothes addict--my husband says the next time we move we'll need a seperate U-Haul just for my clothes and he's right:D

Cindy

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I feel more confident now!!

TJ Maxx was having a huge clearance sale not too long ago and I bought a cute little black sundress for $4!!! I bought a size 10...currently a size 12. If I get any smaller, I'll have it altered. I also looked in my closet and I found one skirt that will probably fit when I'm a size 10. It is too tight now so that's one for sure.

Like most of you, I never buy anything that isn't on sale unless it jumps out at me and I just HAVE to have it. I shop at Dilliard's, Parisian, TJ Maxx, Old Navy, etc. I will buy things like Tees and little summer tops (tanks) at places like Target....only if they are made very well. I also visit outlet malls where I can usually find things for good prices. I love Gap, Liz Claiborne, etc. at the outlet malls.

Now I can't wait to get his weight off so I can go shop!!! It is one of my hobbies. ;)

Hi Shelia,

Good luck with the weight loss! I remember looking at your pictures after your last cruise. I drive my DH crazy because I always have to "scope out" the sale racks first. I am always on the lookout for a bargain. You can really catch some good sales if you have the time to look. I have already bought some things for my next cruise--not until June--but some places have discounted their last summer items that didn't sell. I have gotten some good deals! It is fun looking anyway!

For me, it depends upon how much I paid for the cruise/airfare. If I pay full price for everything, then I purchase a little. If I travel almost for free, then I tend to buy a lot of new things. Either way, I usually reserve cruise clothes for cruising only (probably because I would not be caught dead wearing them in my home town)!

Have fun with your shopping!

Coka

I normally don't buy things just for a cruise. I can dress casual to work (no jeans though) so I buy things I can wear to work, on weekends, and cruise. There's no way I can afford to buy clothes just for a cruise once a year. I know a lot of you go on a lot more than that though. I wish! ;)

HI, once you have cruised a couple times , you will find that you have accumulated certain things that you like to use especially for cruises. At least I have some pieces like that, I just have a place in my closet where I keep those pieces and supplament with a couple new things and am set to go. I am going again in March and just needed two things, same with my husband. I think also when I am out shopping and I see something I think , hey that would be great for a cruise and get it then. And like alot of you I always shop sales. I do admit there is something special about shopping for a cruise, it is just too fun. Hope you have a great cruise.

Cori

The day I book a cruise, we start searching for all the great sales & put the purchase in our cruise drawer. It so much fun shopping for those great buys. Once I kept a spreadsheet on our savings and it was unbelievable. You can get good quality on the sale racks and save alot of money.

Cori, I'm like you . . . I have certain "cruise" items that I usually also wear in the Spring and Summer but they are staples of my cruise wear. I keep telling myself that I'm not going to go all out with new clothes when I book a cruise but . . . I've already ordered three new outfits and a new bathing suit (and matching cover up) for my April cruise. Darn . . . I didn't want to do that . . .

What can I say? Half of the fun of a cruise is planning it and shopping for it . . . tee hee!

Hi Sheila:)

Great thread.......very very rarely do I buy anything retail......I love consignment stores....we have one about 5 minutes from where I live....I have bought quite a few things there (including formal wear) and got great deals on everything:D

And sometimes you can find nice things at Target....last summer I found some very cute tops....cotton/spandex so they held their shape very well.......in all colors...they are great for port days with shorts!.....I think I paid 4.88 each!

Nice to see everyone again:)

I'm a victum. I just paid for two cruises back to back in May. I will definitely be buying yet another swim suite and I'm not sure but I'm actually considering wearing my formal outfit from last year again this year. Is that taboo? OK, well I normally spend anywhere from 200-400 on clothes and accessories before I cruise. This will be my 3rd and 4th cruise so I think I'm actually going to be taking some outfits from my "cruise clothes drawer" and reuse them. I think I'll probably spend more on shoes this year than anything else. I tossed a lot of my sandles when I cleaned out my shoes a couple weeks ago. Just making room for new items.

I am a little discouraged from buying more clothes right now because I'm in a "fat" mood too. The closer it gets to the cruise the more I'll bargin hunt. I'm addicted to sales! My mother tought me well!

Have fun everyone!

Fascination May 2 and Triumph May 7, YEAH!!!!

Cruise clothes! I just select items from regular clothing to bring - shorts, pants, skirts, dresses, and even evening dresses. I don't separate my clothing by activity. I just pick out the items I want to take from total wardrobe. Everything I wear on a cruise, I have worn other times and places.

Now I do have a travel tub that is filled with sample sizes of toiletries, travel hair dryer, baggies, shoe bags, travel locks, luggage straps, travel scrabble and yahtzee, cards, packing essentials such as shoe bags, post it notes, highlighters and misc. items. That way I have everything I need to pack without rummaging through our bathrooms and possibly forgetting my toothbrush. I even bought an extra curling iron to keep in the box so that I don't have to unplug my regular and can use it just before leaving.

I posted this on another thread but thought it worth repeating. I found a 50% off the last discounted price jewellery sale and was able to buy $64 worth of jewellery for $17! It's the glitzy costume type that I wouldn't ordinarily wear but will be perfect for the cruise. I don't like to take my good jewellery with me on holidays, not worth the heartache if something happens to it. Of course, I'm always on the lookout for a 'souvenir' piece on each trip!:)

Lyn

I'm not trying to get personal here....just an idea of what people usually spend on cruise clothes. I'm going to need a whole new wardrobe before our May cruise and need to budget accordingly. I don't have to buy the most expensive clothes, but I don't like cheap either. I don't buy clothes at Wal-Mart, Target, etc., nor do I buy clothes at high-end retailers because I'm too frugal. So, with being said, I think I'll spend about $600 on a formal, shorts, shirts, dresses, and such. I'll buy the formal on sale or online for under $100. Can this be done?

I think this depends on your income level what you spend. Some can easily afford $2000 for clothes. Chances are too though they book a suite as they can afford to. I see nothing wrong with that. If you can afford to-spend your money.

I myself though are just middle class. We cruise yearly usually in the fall; because in the fall it is less expensive. Sometimes we book a balcony; some times just an oceanview or even an inside-depending on what our finances look like at that time. I have spent as much as $200 for a formal gown and as little as $8 off the clearance rack at Marshalls. Normally though I average around $50-$75. I also will wear a formal gown again-no biggie for me-even if I am wearing the same gown in cruise pictures from different years. Who cares? Chances are I see no one from previous cruises unless they are a friend and we booked both cruises together.

My other "cruise clothes" are my summer wear basially. One great thing about cruising in the fall is I have hit all the clearance sales so I have all new shorts etc. I do have a pair of white jeans and a pair of white capris that I normally only wear on cruises. I am not big on white for every day wear as it shows everything and usually only get one wear before I need to wash it. But I do love wearing white on cruises-it just seems to be "the thing" then. I have also a couple of really nice pantsuits that I wear on the plane and also usually end up wearing to dinner for my cruises.

One thing I DO NOT do is charge up a bunch of clothes I cannot afford. What would be the purpose of that? I go on cruises to relax and leave worries behind. I don't want to come home to worries of how I am going to get that charge card paid off. To me that would just defeat the prurpose of going on a cruise.

I have the prettiest "fake CZ", if you can believe that, ring I purchased several years ago. It was originally around $35, reduced by 50%, reduced 50% again, with a 30% off coupon, I paid around $4 for it. I get so many compliments on my beautiful ring. I do keep it only for cruises to wear with formal clothing, I'm afraid one of these days the glass will fall out into my escargot.

I love good quality costume jewelry, since I can't afford much of the real stuff. If you shop carefully, you can get some good buys sometimes, Nordstrom has very good quality semi-precious stones that can be as much as 50% off during sales events. The nice thing about buying higher quality is it doesn't turn your skin black or green and many stores will repair it free if it breaks. Chicos also has some fairly good sale prices on their fake stuff. Their stuff is usually big and chunky and colorful, it can be great to totally change the look of an outfit you plan to wear twice. Their stuff is fairly well made, too.

I have built my cruise wardrobe by always keeping in mind what I like to wear while cruising; then I check out clearance racks, consignment shops, thrift stores and Ebay. I have found so many great deals by buying off season. At the end of the year most formal wear goes on clearance, I just purchased two Ralph Lauren dresses, a silk halter dress by Citrine and silk evening slacks for $245.00. The Citrine dress was originally $285.00 and I got it for $27.00. I also buy clearance fashion jewelry and shawls/wraps as well as evening purses. I buy most of my sandals/evening shoes at the end of summer as they go on clearance. I tend to stick with classic styles so nothing really goes out of style. For example, I stopped into TJSaks oh I mean TJMaxx the other day and found in the clearance a pair of white lined linen slacks- Jones New York for $5.00 and a really cute white silk blouse also $5.00. I just got two great pieces for $10.00.

I have built a wonderful cruise wardrobe for next to nothing, especially since I've stretched the purchases out all year.

I have no idea how to answer this question! My clothing costs are quite erratic:

I love saving by buying from ebay or consignment stores (you can find fantastic worn-once formals at consignment stores!). I can find top-quality stuff for a fraction of the price, and often it still has the tags attached! The payoff is well worth the time spent searching.

Last year after prom season, I picked up several wraps for $3-5; now my daughters and I are set for any color formals we may buy. June-July is a great time to check out the clearance racks for formal wear that didn't sell for spring weddings, semi-formals, etc.

I need comfortable, professional shoes for work, and "fancy shoes" tend to sit in my closet; as a result, I will drop $100 for a pair of work shoes without thinking about it, but dressy shoes must be cheap. Right now I'm watching a pair of strappy silver sandals that are already marked down -- perfect for a cruise -- when they dip below $20, they'll be mine; I would never pay the full price for them because they'll see so little wear.

I always check for out-of-season things on clearance racks; the week after Christmas I bought three sundresses from Casual Corner for less than $20 total.

I can wear children's size 16 shorts, so I buy good quailty Lands' End stuff that'll last; they cost much less than good qualtity women's sizes. Ditto for tennis shoes.

I also avoid buying Walmart and Target clothes. I remember vividly 11 years ago I bought a $15 maternity top from Target (that was back when we were so poor that a $15 purchase required planning on my part), and it shrunk to non-maternity size after one wash. I was devestated. Occasionally I buy an item of children's clothing from them, but I always consider it a one-season purchase. I think the money is better spent on quality used items.

On the other hand, when I need something and can't find it used or on sale, I pay full price and don't worry about it. I know that I save big on MOST of my clothing purchases, so I can afford to spend when necessary. It all works out in the end.

Archived