Rental Car in Puerto Madryn???

Crusin-Suzan

Does anyone have any information for the best rental company that would show up at the dock? Thank you.

Hertz, Budget and Avis are at the international airport (in Trelew, which is about 40 miles from Puerto Madryn, although Avis does have a counter at the Puerto Madryn airport).

There are a couple of local companies-Centauro and Rent a Car Patagonia-which cater to Westerners. Some of the companies in the area have limited English capabilities, so you could be really stuck if you have problems. Do a google search for rental cars in the area and contact them directly.

I don't know what you are going to do with a rental car in the area, but this is one place I HIGHLY recommend you do not do your own thing. The road to Peninsula Valdes is NOT a road you want to break down on or have a flat. There are literally NO services on the road, so you will be dependent on your own resources and those that MAY pass by. Been there, done that-both on a ship tour and a private tour. It was iffy at best and TOTALLY dependent on help from other people.

If you are going to Gaiman or Punto Tombo, the same thing. NOT a lot of services in the area. IF you break down/have a flat, you will wait for a VERY long time for the rental car company to help you.

When I was there three years ago, we rented from Avis who were were within walking distance of where the shuttle from the ship dropped us in town- about 4-5 block's walk .

We drove to Gaiman and Trelew and a seaside town whose name I cant recall. It was an interesting day observing (in absolute horror at times!) the suicidal driving habits of the locals.

The main roads were good, minor roads were often gravel which was horrendous to drive on and really slow going.

You might want to check this info as it is 3 years old.

Sorry Grandam, I have to definately disagree with your advice. I rented a car here from Wild Skys and drove to Punto Tombo. They had the car for me right outside the port gates, with excellent directions and a map. The roads were well maintained and road signage clear. 180km to Punto Tombo. It was about 15km. on gravel, but the car rental contract allowed the drive. Not sure any of the major rentals would.

The cost was less than $120 with gas, and $10 park admission. All the private tours there were in the $100pp and up range. We split the costs with another CC couple, so really the bargain. :)

Peninsula Valdes is definately OUT, way too much gravel and time needed. Wild Skys did not recommend it.

Sorry Grandam, I have to definately disagree with your advice. I rented a car here from Wild Skys and drove to Punto Tombo. They had the car for me right outside the port gates, with excellent directions and a map. The roads were well maintained and road signage clear. 180km to Punto Tombo. It was about 15km. on gravel, but the car rental contract allowed the drive. Not sure any of the major rentals would.

The cost was less than $120 with gas, and $10 park admission. All the private tours there were in the $100pp and up range. We split the costs with another CC couple, so really the bargain. :)

Peninsula Valdes is definately OUT, way too much gravel and time needed. Wild Skys did not recommend it.

You and I are very independent travelers. I just do not believe the average cruiser could handle a breakdown by themselves in an outlying area. They may miss the ship, which puts them in a real world of doo-doo. And as you well know, NOT much for help or services along the way, no matter which way you go. This is one time I am not going to recommend driving around in an area.

I was just in Puerto Madryn last month(March). I used http://www.sentir-patagonia.com.ar

for 2-4 it was $200 per day for a car driver and really good guide. Would a car rental been cheaper? maybe but they took me where I wanted to go for full day and knew better than me how to get there and back. I rent cars all the time where I go but sometimes another driving is better IMO...its not always the cheapest way that is the best...

Archived