Rear Facing Cabins On Vista Class Ships

seesea

We have a rear facing varanda cabin reserved on Oosterdam for an Alaska sailing in July.Would appreciate advice from anyone who has had experience with this type of cabin.Are there any particular advantages or disadvantagese.

Thanks

I was in an aft facing cabin on the Zuiderdam to Alaska last May. Advantages: the view, the wake, the quiet corridor, the gently rocking-you-to-sleep movement and many more I can't think of right now. Disadvantages: For me, none. However, it is kind of a long walk to the front of the ship in case that's a concern for you.

These staterooms are in great demand so if you are lucky enough to book one, grab it.

I have not sailed on Holland America, but have on the Queen Victoria on Cunard which is also one of Carnivals Vista Class ship. I had an aft port suite (8162) directly below the Lido pool. It was very nice. we had a bit of side as well and the terrace was huge. Its greatly relaxing to sit on the veranda and watch the ship sail away from its wake.

The only issue we had, was late at night, well after midnight the crew was hosing off the Lido deck and a fine spray of water came down. If your acouple of decks below, you won't have a problem.

I have booked the same suite for my 14 day Hawaiian trip next Feb, and will again for a November Venice to FT Lauderdale.

MIke.

We had one on our Dec. Caribbean cruise on the Noordam. It was a quiet hall and a very nice veranda but.....you could only see where you had been. Took a little getting used to. The wake noise did not bother me but one afternoon I was sitting out there relaxing and a room steward decided to clean the floor of the veranda above without checking to see if anyone was below. My husband felt vibrations during the night from the engines but they did not bother me. I liked not having to walk the length of the ship for the Lido's iced tea and morning coffee. The veranda was great for room service breakfast.

My aft facing cabin was like having a vibrating bed all night long...

Dennis

Jacksonville, fl

387 days at sea

33 cruises

11 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific

Booked

21 day TA HAL Prinsondam May 2010

12 day TA Norwegian Sun Oct 2010

we did the aft for Alaska...and let me tell you it was outstanding...now we were on the corner... the views were phenomenal... I could almost reach out and touch the icebergs... and to have a unobstructed view of the banks along the route was extra special and allowed for great viewing and pictures... now if you are not the corner it might be somewhat different... but you can always go up to the front of the ship or up on the lido aft... DB77

• 2 weeks later...

We had cabin 8147 on a southern Caribbean cruise last winter and loved it!! When under way, the balcony is sheltered and at least the rear portion is out of the wind, making it much more usable. Although we were located below the Lido deck, we did not experience any noise from the deck above, except some pleasant music in the afternoon (only audible outside).

Had an aft facing balcony cabin (not the corner) on the Oosterdam in Alaska. Loved, loved, loved it. The day at Hubbard Glacier was amazing. We spent the morning on the deck up front, but as the ship was sitting by the glacier and turning to leave, we ran back to our balcony. The pictures we took from there look like we were close enough to touch it.

The small vibrations are great for putting you right to sleep. We've booked an aft balcony for our Panama Canal cruise.

we did the aft for Alaska...and let me tell you it was outstanding...now we were on the corner... the views were phenomenal... I could almost reach out and touch the icebergs... and to have a unobstructed view of the banks along the route was extra special and allowed for great viewing and pictures... now if you are not the corner it might be somewhat different... but you can always go up to the front of the ship or up on the lido aft... DB77

Oh, I can't wait... We have an aft corner suite on the Oosterdam to Alaska the first week of June. I am just so excited. My DH hope to get some great pictures..:D

We were in 8145 on the Zuiderdam last Sept thru the Panama Canal and had the same type pros/cons (mostly pros):

Hosing off the deck..water and other debris would land on our deck

You only see where you've been, but you get used to it

Close to aft elevator/Lido

Minor noise from lido deck just above..folks scooting lounge chairrs around

Engine vibrations and rocking..actually, that was cool...you get used to it.

Aft Lido deck pax looking down on you..that kinda sucked..they were just above us.

Partial shade/rain cover..was great while going through the tropics

birds landing on balcony rail on occasion

Sealife and ocean viewing was great.

Great views while in port.

It was well worth the extra $$. We would do it again in a heartbeat.:cool:

I was just on the Zuiderdam in 5186, which I absolutely LOVED. Big balcony that was completely covered even though sun came in later in the day. My friend had 5184 and we spent almost the entire cruise, including ordering room service for dinner, on our balconies. There were no obstructions and we could lay on our loungers and be mesmerized by the wake all day long. We experienced hardly any ship movement throughout the cruise and the only time we felt any vibration was in one port where the Captain did a 180-degree turn to dock. We had one rain shower and because our balconies were covered, only realized it was raining when the clear railings got opaque the way a windshield would.

I was just on the Zuiderdam in 5186, which I absolutely LOVED. Big balcony that was completely covered even though sun came in later in the day. My friend had 5184 and we spent almost the entire cruise, including ordering room service for dinner, on our balconies. There were no obstructions and we could lay on our loungers and be mesmerized by the wake all day long. We experienced hardly any ship movement throughout the cruise and the only time we felt any vibration was in one port where the Captain did a 180-degree turn to dock. We had one rain shower and because our balconies were covered, only realized it was raining when the clear railings got opaque the way a windshield would.

So encouraged by your post.:)

We are in 5191 in Sept and to know we'll be not only nicely sheltered from whatever the Alaskan weather decides but that sunshine can still makes it's way in is very reassuring.

We chose deck 5 for balcony size and cover but were a little worried there would be no sun at all. So pleased to hear that's not the case.

I fear we may never leave the ship this cruise :D Your account of wake viewing and room service has so added to my excitement Thank you:)

Hi Pam! I have a request for Stateroom Photos of the 5100 staterooms.... Is it possible that you have a couple that you could send me so I can add them to the HAL Staterooms/Cabins Pages??

Joanie

My wife and I were aboard the Zui along witwith Pam in CA, and we had the starboard stern cabin 7151. The wrap around balcony would be fantastic for Alaska. When we went through the Panama Canal, the views were fantastic because of both the views from the side of the ship as well as directlly aft. This was out fifth cruise in a stern cabin, and we absolutely prefer that location.

I have to agree with Pam, however, that when the ship made certain types of turns, there is a pronounced mega vibration, that I didn't feel on my previous cruise on the Zui, nor on the Westerdam in the same cabin. However, other than the few times that happened, neither I, nor my DW, noticed any vibrations that were any different than what we experienced in midship cabins.;)

As far as we're concerned, the worst part of the cabins at the back of the ship is that they are so addictive. If there isn't one available we look for a different cruise. Others prefer larger cabins, and I understand that, but we spend so much time on the larger verandah that we feel we'd be missing something to give that up.

We have cruised in those several times. Loved it. The only downside was occasionally the veranda floor would have a fine covering of what I would describe as soot and I ended up with it all over the bottoms of my feet. I cleaned it off with a towel so I wouldn't track it in on the carpets. The steward seemed to know when to expect it and would come and clean. It really wasn't a big deal. In fact I don't recall this happening at all the last time we were in an aft cabin.

Also a few times peoples hats or whatever have blown down from the pool area. We would grab them, look up and wave and shout out our cabin # so the owner could retrieve. Happened twice I think, no biggie.

Archived