Should the Captain of your ship or flight be on antidrepressants?

Mikel1733

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/04/02/faa-allowing-pilots-use-anti-depressants-policy-shift/?test=latestnews

They probably have been but now its seems it will be ok'd by the government. Seems everyone needs drugs now to do their job. How safe do you feel bringing your family onto any large vessel whether it be a ship or airplane knowing its now ok for those in command to medicate themselves?

As our captain of the Rhapsody of the Seas said....."Hello, this is the Captain speaking, though my name is not Captain Speaking, I am the captain, and I am speaking...".....those of us who heard that went *****??? Then we all laughed, because he was such a wack job....but he got us from point A to point B safely. If that meant dozens of ******, I don't care....what a wonderful trip that was!:D:D:D

As our captain of the Rhapsody of the Seas said....."Hello, this is the Captain speaking, though my name is not Captain Speaking, I am the captain, and I am speaking...".....those of us who heard that went *****??? Then we all laughed, because he was such a wack job....but he got us from point A to point B safely. If that meant dozens of ******, I don't care....what a wonderful trip that was!:D:D:D

I think you are right when you say "what a wach job". There are a bunch of wach jobs out there that most of the time get us from point a to b. We just trust them and put our families at risk, and it works out most of the time.

15% of American adults are depressed at some point in their lives. They should ALL those their jobs - why stop with captains? And while we're at it, we should fire those with other illnesses, as well - I certainly don't want a captain with high blood pressure. He could have a stroke at the helm!

15% of American adults are depressed at some point in their lives.!

When going through a divorce, at a certain point I decided to go see a doctor and to speak frankly about how I felt.

I was prescribed an anti-depressant, and I took it for as long as I thought I needed it. The benefits were amazing. I got back to where I had been in about a month.

To think that someone would associate an anti-depressant with a safety issue, is ridiculous. The failure to take such medication, when indicated, should be cause for concern. Anyone taking necessary meds should not be restricted in any way from performing their job. Even when the job is responsible for the lives of thousands.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/04/02/faa-allowing-pilots-use-anti-depressants-policy-shift/?test=latestnews

They probably have been but now its seems it will be ok'd by the government. Seems everyone needs drugs now to do their job. How safe do you feel bringing your family onto any large vessel whether it be a ship or airplane knowing its now ok for those in command to medicate themselves?

I think Carnival needs to supply me with all the alcohol I can consume for FREE because it's so stressful that the Captain is depressed. Just to take the edge off of course.

I know I am not supposed to call you any names so I'll just say this is easily the most ignorant post I've seen here in a long time. And I don't mean "Steveaaaaa multi-poll threads" ignorant, I mean, just ignorant. Good grief. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I know I am not supposed to call you any names so I'll just say this is easily the most ignorant post I've seen here in a long time. And I don't mean "Steveaaaaa multi-poll threads" ignorant, I mean, just ignorant. Good grief. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Take a pill and chill Vanessa

Are you really worried about this?

Maybe for aircraft pilots but for cruise ship captains? Come on.....

Are you really worried about this?

Maybe for aircraft pilots but for cruise ship captains? Come on.....

Probably no problem for drivers of automobiles also. The drugs may not be the problem...........its how you take them. Abuse can happen anywhere.

I have worked with emotionally disturbed students for 15 years. It's when they are not on their meds. that I get worried. Many times the anti-depressants help with the chemcials a person is not getting enough of-like a diabetic not having enough insulin. No reason to hold it against them anymore than blaming a diabetic for their condition. There are soooo many people in the general population on mood stabalizers and you would never know it (unless they go off them). Now if they are anti-psychotics, I might get a tad concerned. I imagine anyone with that kind of repsonsibility would be screened for psychosis.

I have worked with emotionally disturbed students for 15 years. It's when they are not on their meds. that I get worried. Many times the anti-depressants help with the chemcials a person is not getting enough of-like a diabetic not having enough insulin. No reason to hold it against them anymore than blaming a diabetic for their condition. There are soooo many people in the general population on mood stabalizers and you would never know it (unless they go off them). Now if they are anti-psychotics, I might get a tad concerned. I imagine anyone with that kind of repsonsibility would be screened for psychosis.

I agree. The article I linked only had to do with pilots. And not all is known about the reaction to drugs at high altitudes etc. I'm sorry I have upset so many people in trying to post something I thought you all might have found some value in.

Now if they are anti-psychotics, I might get a tad concerned. I imagine anyone with that kind of responsibility would be screened for psychosis.

Trust me the company knows all.

I work for a airline. We have great health insurance (for now anyways) Our health insurance doesn't include ANY mental health benefits or alcohol or drug dependence benifits. All of those are covered but have to be done thru the company.

Airlines dont kid around with safety. You have a mental health issue the company knows and will help you thru it. You have a drinking issue or drug issue the company removes you from duty immediately but likewise they will pay for rehab and help you thru it. My company has shrinks who visit almost monthly if you need to talk to someone about anything. They go out of their way to reach out to anyone in need to try to help folks.

I cant speak for all airlines but i know mine is very kind in helping employees down and out and does everything to help them out, yet first and foremost safety is ALWAYS number one.

I take xanax to deal with stress and a severe case if "idiots gone wild" at work. If it wasn't for them, you may see me on the news, and not in a good way!:D

As long as the Captian/Pilot take them as prescribed, then no problem. But, alot of folks start off taking them like they should and just start taking more and more. It can get out of hand really quick. I had a good friend get hooked bad on xanax, taking 7-8 a day. Took 90 days rehab to get her well.

Unfortunately, there is a terrible stigma associated with taking antidepressants. :( Only the people who NEED them will ever appreciate the good they bring; others will continue to judge and make assumptions. I'd argue that it is far safer sailing with a captain who's illness is treated than one who lives in denial lest he be labeled!

I take xanax to deal with stress and a severe case if "idiots gone wild" at work. If it wasn't for them, you may see me on the news, and not in a good way!:D

As long as the Captian/Pilot take them as prescribed, then no problem. But, alot of folks start off taking them like they should and just start taking more and more. It can get out of hand really quick. I had a good friend get hooked bad on xanax, taking 7-8 a day. Took 90 days rehab to get her well.

I am totally with you there! :eek:

Unfortunately, there is a terrible stigma associated with taking antidepressants. :( Only the people who NEED them will ever appreciate the good they bring; others will continue to judge and make assumptions. I'd argue that it is far safer sailing with a captain who's illness is treated than one who lives in denial lest he be labeled!

Excellent and intelligent answer to a silly and uneducated post. I would only add that the FAMILIES of those people will also testify to the value of these medications. There used to be a stigma associated with being cripple or infertile, maybe this will change some day too.

Archived