Cross Border Camera Shopping Question ...

I am considering a new camera in the near future. I am looking at the new Pentax K7 since I have older lenses that can be used (and I am happy with how Pentax equipment has worked for me in the past).

My question is about warranty. I reside in Canada and came across a pretty good deal at B&H Photo (online) that will save hundreds of $$ compared to the same body here in Canada. My only concern is about warranty when buying equipment in the USA for use primarily in Canada. I have read the threads relating to buying equipment while on cruise in the Caribbean etc and the issues that come with those purchases. Does anyone know if there are restrictions to warranty coverage on purchases made in the USA from Canada?

Thanks in advance for any comments/advice! :cool:

I'd give B&H a call. I know Nikon is one that is a stickler on warranty. B&H will service your grey market nikon I believe. I think Nikon is the only most so anal company at this.

IMHO electronic equipment really comes in two flavors these days, reliable that should last years and 100000 shutter activations and those that have infant mortality and escape the final QualityControl of the company.

I am considering a new camera in the near future. I am looking at the new Pentax K7 since I have older lenses that can be used (and I am happy with how Pentax equipment has worked for me in the past).

My question is about warranty. I reside in Canada and came across a pretty good deal at B&H Photo (online) that will save hundreds of $$ compared to the same body here in Canada. My only concern is about warranty when buying equipment in the USA for use primarily in Canada. I have read the threads relating to buying equipment while on cruise in the Caribbean etc and the issues that come with those purchases. Does anyone know if there are restrictions to warranty coverage on purchases made in the USA from Canada?

Thanks in advance for any comments/advice! :cool:

Not sure on Pentax, but I just bought a Canon 7D in the US and have talked with Canon Canada about warraanty. They said no issue at all as long as it is a US version it has North america warranty for 1yr. Saved about $500 over buying it local.

Thanks Chipmaster & Trophy_23!

It looks like about a $400 savings by purchasing this way. The other 2 Pentax bodies that I have are very strong/reliable. Even though the K7 is a brand new model, the reviews have been very positive, so I have confidence that it has the same beefy/reliable bloodlines. I will contact B&H and Pentax and see what they say.

Thanks for your input! :-)

Not sure on Pentax, but I just bought a Canon 7D in the US and have talked with Canon Canada about warraanty. They said no issue at all as long as it is a US version it has North america warranty for 1yr. Saved about $500 over buying it local.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Chipmaster & Trophy_23!

It looks like about a $400 savings by purchasing this way. The other 2 Pentax bodies that I have are very strong/reliable. Even though the K7 is a brand new model, the reviews have been very positive, so I have confidence that it has the same beefy/reliable bloodlines. I will contact B&H and Pentax and see what they say.

Thanks for your input! :-)

;)If you ever get a chance to go the NYC you have to go to the B&H store. Your jaw will hit the floor,simple awesome...BRING LOTS OF $$$$ CAUSE YOU WILL BE LIKE A KID IN A CANDY STORE..:D

Ha, Ha, LoneTravelerto ... That is good to know - Thanks!!

Hmmm, NYC sounds like the perfect place to visit on our next holiday ...;)

;)If you ever get a chance to go the NYC you have to go to the B&H store. Your jaw will hit the floor,simple awesome...BRING LOTS OF $$$$ CAUSE YOU WILL BE LIKE A KID IN A CANDY STORE..:D

Nice to see someone using and staying with pentax. I bought my K7 at B&H this past summer and it came with an additional two year warranty from Pentax. I believe this is still true. For any additional info on pentax systems, lenses, and gear you can visit the pentaxforum online.

If you want to see some photos taken with the K7, they are on my shutterfly share site at hemma1231.shutterfly.com Only the Hawaii pics were taken with the K7 but not all (panasonic LZ7)

Archived