Just off the Gem 3/27 sailing.

This is one of my fears, pay extra for the courtyard experience only to have others say 'we can do what we want cause we paid for our cruise'. I know it's probably difficult for the employees to enforce rules, but if I paid too,why must I be subjected to noise? I have read other threads on CC that talk about this very thing, but I think luck plays into it and no matter how much you paid, you have no idea who your fellow courtyard passengers will be till you get there.

Do the courtyard rooms have their own balconies? I know you said that there were times when it was quiet, so maybe during the not so quiet times it would be nice to sit on your own balcony.

Thanks for writing about the restaurants and your impressions of the food. Glad you had a nice time.

We did have a wonderful cruise.

Yes the Courtyard cabins do have balconies, but if it is chilly, it is nice to sit in the courtyard and be warm, yet feel like you are outdoors.

When it got bad, I just left and went somewhere else. It was only very bad at different times of the day. Night time was extremely peaceful unless there was a card game going, even then that was o.k..

I didn't let it stop me from having fun and enjoying myself.

There were quiet times in the courtyard.

It wasn't like every moment the courtyard was filled with screaming parents and children. On this port day, I got to relax and take some photos while laying on a lounger. No one was there, it was so very peaceful.

DSCF1740.jpg.e73c8f332f03e6099e36cbe93c4c309b.jpg

DSCF1744.jpg.bd72f82c31d33f25c6684e9df848fe69.jpg

DSCF1741.jpg.1cc59b7825d85289715debd686aa9186.jpg

DSCF1751.jpg.ab59a729dcabcf8690ae301c2784a1d0.jpg

DSCF1746.jpg.7864f09c9137b407388f2265b6a83d46.jpg

When I was on the Gem in February this year. I noticed the large screens Televisions in the halls did not show the restaurant wait times and asked about that. I was told they were working on a new program.

Well, I was happy to see the new program was put into place and they now have it broadcast on the stateroom televisions also.

Here is what it looks like...

DSCF1820.jpg.d9af2a266ab6396dbcbc0ccb9dc88d52.jpg

DSCF1819.jpg.44880e1f64cc8a4d3e3655bca29bb2e7.jpg

DSCF1818.jpg.d30f6a747f98ca44363530d8af168735.jpg

Hey Dawn!

Welcome back. It sounds like you had a good time despite the Courtyard antics. I would be annoyed spending the extra money for a special place on the ship and having parents let their their kids (and their friend's kids) run amuck. I can understand them wanting to have guest visit and maybe they should have designated visting hours (say between 10 and 12 or 2 and 4,) but not all day. I am sure if I had friends on the ship I would like them to visit but would have respect for the other Courtyard guests.

Anyyway, glad you had fun and enjoyed your suite. You came home to to some nice weather!:)

We haven't cruised for over twenty years. Our last crusie was ruined by other peoples' children running amok and causing all sorts of problems for those who wanted a quieter getaway.

In any event when we received a brochure for the Epic, we thought it would be worth a try. We booked a courtyard villa because it was supposed to be a private and more tranquil area of the ship. We also choose a late fall cruise date so hoping there would be less kids around.

This post and others we have read here are being to give us a reason to doubt our decision. I have read other posts where the posters wanted to know if they could share the courtyard with others staying in other parts of the ship.

Now it seems that NCL will let this happen (at least it did on this cruise) and let other peoples kids spoil the experience for those who paid extra for it. It would be bad enough if they were all the children of those who paid for the suites, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

So the question is, why not get a cheap inside room and just invade the courtyard - it seems it would be easy to get in in spite of the special key card? Why should anyone spend the extra money if the supposed amenities are made available to "guests"?

Will NCL risk chasing away the higher paying customers from it new billion dollar boat by not enforcing its own policies?

Dawn,

Sounds like you had a good time. We are finally taking the plunge and staying in a suite this time (starting in an ae and see what is next:D.) I can't wait to try Cagney's, you made it sound so good. Hope to sail with you again someday.

-Michelle

Hey Dawn, how are you? We will be cruising on the Jewel in the same suite as you were in. Will you be posting more pictures? I cannot wait to sail on NCL again. It has been a long time.

Loved your review!!

Theresa

Hi Theresa,

How funny you have the same cabin. I am always thinking about you! Hope all is well!

If the cabins are identical and you are cruising with three people, may I suggest bringing a colored plastic tablecloth to hang over the bathroom door. It provided us with a bit more privacy. The clear door with frosted lines just weren't cutting it. We didn't care so much about the shower, but the bathroom... :eek:

I can't wait to hear about your review on the Jewel.

When I am able to post more photos of the cabin I will.

Dawn

Hey Dawn!

Welcome back. It sounds like you had a good time despite the Courtyard antics. I would be annoyed spending the extra money for a special place on the ship and having parents let their their kids (and their friend's kids) run amuck. I can understand them wanting to have guest visit and maybe they should have designated visting hours (say between 10 and 12 or 2 and 4,) but not all day. I am sure if I had friends on the ship I would like them to visit but would have respect for the other Courtyard guests.

Anyyway, glad you had fun and enjoyed your suite. You came home to to some nice weather!:)

I am definitely using yours and Cokas suggestions and adding that to my survey if it ever comes to me. I may even send a note to the ship about it.

I love how you added your roll calls in between your countdown clocks. I see you have plenty of cruises coming up. I have to go back and see if we are going to have to join you on any of them. :p

Meanwhile I can't fit all of my clocks on, it only is allowing six at a time. :(

We haven't cruised for over twenty years. Our last crusie was ruined by other peoples' children running amok and causing all sorts of problems for those who wanted a quieter getaway.

In any event when we received a brochure for the Epic, we thought it would be worth a try. We booked a courtyard villa because it was supposed to be a private and more tranquil area of the ship. We also choose a late fall cruise date so hoping there would be less kids around.

This post and others we have read here are being to give us a reason to doubt our decision. I have read other posts where the posters wanted to know if they could share the courtyard with others staying in other parts of the ship.

Now it seems that NCL will let this happen (at least it did on this cruise) and let other peoples kids spoil the experience for those who paid extra for it. It would be bad enough if they were all the children of those who paid for the suites, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

So the question is, why not get a cheap inside room and just invade the courtyard - it seems it would be easy to get in in spite of the special key card? Why should anyone spend the extra money if the supposed amenities are made available to "guests"?

Will NCL risk chasing away the higher paying customers from it new billion dollar boat by not enforcing its own policies?

I think the time frame that you are traveling within, you will not have a problem with children.

I also stayed in the courtyard back in February for Presidents week, it was wonderful and quiet. Sometimes a bit too quiet.

I am sure if I and others complained enough, something would have been done.

I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise and quiet courtyard in the late fall while all the kids are in school.

Enjoy it, it is worth it!

Dawn,

Sounds like you had a good time. We are finally taking the plunge and staying in a suite this time (starting in an ae and see what is next:D.) I can't wait to try Cagney's, you made it sound so good. Hope to sail with you again someday.

-Michelle

Michelle,

I can't believe how big your baby is getting!

Uh oh... that is how I started, in an AE. Been moving up ever since. Loving every moment of it too!

Hopefully we will meet again soon, maybe this time on an NCL or a Disney Cruise! :D

I am definitely using yours and Cokas suggestions and adding that to my survey if it ever comes to me. I may even send a note to the ship about it.

I love how you added your roll calls in between your countdown clocks. I see you have plenty of cruises coming up. I have to go back and see if we are going to have to join you on any of them. :p

Meanwhile I can't fit all of my clocks on, it only is allowing six at a time. :(

2 are CTN's but what the heck! We want to see you all (and you know who you are!) on the 2/12/2011 CTN on the Jewel!!!! Can't wait to see your Epic review next!!:)

Hi Dawn. So great to hear you enjoyed your cruise! I can't wait to be back on the Gem!!! How small was your M&G? Ours is looking pretty small (10 to 12 so far) and I am nervous the officers won't think it is worth their time. :o ;)

Thanks for the review - wonderful reading!!

Our meet and greet was originally scheduled for the day we got to Port Canaveral, but after many emails back and forth we had it moved to the day after boarding, which was the first day at sea. This made more sense. Our group was small and the officers (excluding the Captain) still came and spoke with us. They introduced themselves and gave out their phone numbers just in case we needed anything.

It was a pleasure to meet Chef Christian at our meet. He is from Australia. He made his presence known all around the ship as he checked the restaurants and buffets quite often. It was a pleasure to see him. This is always a plus to see a chef and the officers caring that much to make their presence known and to mingle with the passengers. I believe it shows they do really care.

When we arrived in Port Canaveral it was cloudy, but cleared up within a few hours and we had a wonderful time. Many from our group went to the Kennedy Space Center and enjoyed it. Some took the excursion through the ship and others went on their own. I was told the taxi for four for them was about $55.00 each way.

We did the shuttle that makes stops at Walmart, Cocoa Beach (Ron Jon's), and the Mall. We headed back to the ship early as we had reservations in Le Bistro early.

I will discuss the restaurants and food soon.

Dawn, was it difficult to get them to reschedule the m&g? I just received word that ours is scheduled for 9 am on a day we come into port at 10 am. It can't be a sea day since we don't have one until our last day (it is a very port intensive cruise), but there is a day we come into port much later in the day (4 pm) so that would seem easier, even if later in the cruise. Seems kind of hectic to be meeting an hour before when people are worrying about tendering, but I also know their schedules are complicated.

Hi Theresa,

How funny you have the same cabin. I am always thinking about you! Hope all is well!

If the cabins are identical and you are cruising with three people, may I suggest bringing a colored plastic tablecloth to hang over the bathroom door. It provided us with a bit more privacy. The clear door with frosted lines just weren't cutting it. We didn't care so much about the shower, but the bathroom... :eek:

I can't wait to hear about your review on the Jewel.

When I am able to post more photos of the cabin I will.

Dawn

Hi Dawn, thanks for the plastic tablecloth tip. There will be dh, dd and myself. Was going to spring for the extra bedroom but it just didn't seem worth the extra $2390 when all the suite perks are with this cabin also. :D

2 are CTN's but what the heck! We want to see you all (and you know who you are!) on the 2/12/2011 CTN on the Jewel!!!! Can't wait to see your Epic review next!!:)

I was looking into that Jewel cruise. I was hoping the following week was Presidents week. I would have just stayed onboard for that too.

I will have to think this one through and see what we can do. I needed a vacation after that last one nighter!

Team FFFFive rox!!!!

Hi Dawn. So great to hear you enjoyed your cruise! I can't wait to be back on the Gem!!! How small was your M&G? Ours is looking pretty small (10 to 12 so far) and I am nervous the officers won't think it is worth their time. :o ;)

Thanks for the review - wonderful reading!!

Is this my twin? :D

We had less then 25 at our meet. I think it was like 20 or so people that showed up.

You still have some time, but not much. Is everyone saying they will definitely go to the meet? It took me quite a few emails back and forth for days to get the meet changed.

I would wait a week and see how many are committed and send another email out asking for a sea day instead.

Keep trying, the woman who does it is really nice and will try to accomodate you.

Is this my twin? :D

We had less then 25 at our meet. I think it was like 20 or so people that showed up.

You still have some time, but not much. Is everyone saying they will definitely go to the meet? It took me quite a few emails back and forth for days to get the meet changed.

I would wait a week and see how many are committed and send another email out asking for a sea day instead.

Keep trying, the woman who does it is really nice and will try to accomodate you.

Thanks so much for the advice! I will wait and see what my roll call people say. Thanks again and I hope to see you again on another cruise - maybe the CTN next year!!!!!!! :D;)

Hi Dawn, thanks for the plastic tablecloth tip. There will be dh, dd and myself. Was going to spring for the extra bedroom but it just didn't seem worth the extra $2390 when all the suite perks are with this cabin also. :D

You only have one closet and three large drawers, pack lightly. Also, get rid of the bulky wooden hangars and ask for plastic ones instead.

Establish rules with each other now before leaving. When the door is closed in between the rooms, don't enter. The stewards and butlers already know this.

Also, If you are in the shower close the pocket door between the rooms. If someone opens the front door to the cabin and the pocket door in between the two doors isn't closed, they have a direct view into the shower.

We would even open the bathroom door with the tablecloth on it just in case someone accidentally walked in through the pocket door. The bathroom door will block the view.

161276507_NCLGemFeb13th2010279.jpg.94475461402690dd927f66b7810c2d50.jpg

840307682_NCLGemFeb13th2010282.jpg.43cf7bdca44642296158007a977937dd.jpg

Don't forget to look into the "Behind the Scenes" tour, it is very informative and takes you to parts of the ship you will never see usually. I always wondered how they knew what laundry belonged to what stateroom. They label every article of clothing that gets washed.

725394466_NCLGemFeb13th2010182.jpg.df4ab3e726ef5e7d2e06696aae9a2f0d.jpg

1240194252_NCLGemFeb13th2010200.jpg.0c4d4a18427e5163b65ddd8cd7af31eb.jpg

2115991494_NCLGemFeb13th2010239.jpg.4e382ac84f7bda3f1256a80211248447.jpg

2096290201_NCLGemFeb13th2010250.jpg.bbcd3ec4f4659450324a20208bd07f23.jpg

1417868851_NCLGemFeb13th2010242.jpg.3b94906efe442efe612465e05259ba6c.jpg

If anyone has any questions, I hope I can help.

I am not to good at writing a review so I prefer to just answer questions and post things as I remember them.

Here is something I wanted to let everyone know that cruises with children.

When we checked in at the port, I had my 13 y.o. dd's charging privileges removed from her card. I buy her a soda card or teen smoothie book. Which ever one she prefers. This past time as well as Feb, she wanted the soda card. It has been working out nicely for her. She got her sodas from the teen club (can) and from the Atrium bar (fountain) as well as in Bliss (can).

I find it easier and don't have to worry about her card getting lost, or anything else happening. If she wants to buy something she has to ask me to go with her to use my card. She doesn't usually ask for anything.

Years ago my middle daughter had the charging privileges on her card and bought a lot of candy for all her friends. She didn't realize she was actually buying the candy, she thought it was free and she just had to show her room key.

It was an expensive lesson to learn. Now I take no chances.

BTW our roll call brought the Mermaid a little fairy charm. Richard Janicki made sure it was put on the very first day and also turned around the moon (as it was backwards) that my roll call gave to the Mermaid in December. I was very surprised to see it all done within the first day. Richard even saw me in the hallway and came up to me to let me know he already took care of it. I was so happy and went to see her immediately. It is always fun to look at the past charms that our roll calls have brought on for the Mermaid. I love that she is on that ship!

I met Richard on the Gem one nighter. He was very nice and very gracious. I am happy to know he is taking care of Robbie and the charms passengers bring. May good fortune come his way this year and to the the roll too!

coka

Restaurants

Blue Lagoon - Service was pretty quick compared to past times. I had the wings and smashed peas. I think this has become my acquired taste and look forward to it once onboard the ship.

Smashed peas? What is that? LOL! All the sisters and brothers growing up would smash our peas as they rolled across our plates...they were prisoners escaping from the jail and we never captured any of them alive...

coka

You only have one closet and three large drawers, pack lightly. Also, get rid of the bulky wooden hangars and ask for plastic ones instead.

Establish rules with each other now before leaving. When the door is closed in between the rooms, don't enter. The stewards and butlers already know this.

Also, If you are in the shower close the pocket door between the rooms. If someone opens the front door to the cabin and the pocket door in between the two doors isn't closed, they have a direct view into the shower.

We would even open the bathroom door with the tablecloth on it just in case someone accidentally walked in through the pocket door. The bathroom door will block the view.

[ATTACH]152003[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]152004[/ATTACH]

thanks again. We have stayed in the AB suite twice before so I know what the layout is. I don't think we will have a problem. Even in the AB my dd showered in our bathroom. She said hers was too small.. lol

Wow you must really like Disney, must be great to spend an entire month at sea!!!

Archived