Round trip cruise - Barcelona

Kelly07

In 2008 we had a weeks holiday just south of Barcelona in the May and we could not walk on the sand without shoes, we then returned again in the August and it was no where near as hot.

Im sorry this doesnt help you pick a month, more to show what a weird place it is for weather patterns.

We are cruising on the Epic at the end of May 2011 so hope the weather is nice for us.

In 2008 we had a weeks holiday just south of Barcelona in the May and we could not walk on the sand without shoes, we then returned again in the August and it was no where near as hot.

Im sorry this doesnt help you pick a month, more to show what a weird place it is for weather patterns.

We are cruising on the Epic at the end of May 2011 so hope the weather is nice for us.

We almost booked on your date on the Epic manateemike67 but opted for 21 August instead as will allow more time in school hols to do a pre and post stay as we love Barcelona and Cataluyna - though i know its going to be HOT and very busy.

Kelly, We have stayed in both Barca and along that coast mid Aug through to early Sept in the past and weather has always been hot but not unbrearable (for us anyway) infact we even had some cloudier days which were a bit breezy!

There can be storms in the Med from late August time which have amazing thunder and lightening shows and heavy downpours but they tend to be overnight and blow away the next day (not hurricane levels though).

Fingers crossed we dont see any on our Epic cruise next summer :D

Hope that helps a little

Sam:)

From experience, when is the best time to cruise the Barcelona cruise? Do they have a bad weather window like we do here with hurricanes?

There is no "storm" season in the Med. Best to avoid April and November. May, June and Septemebr are, for us , beautifully temperate inasmuch as it is not too hot. July and August generally are very hot months, but weather patterns are a changing and sometimes it is not too hot then. October (especially earlier part) can be very pleasant, but days are shorter then with darkness descending around 6.00pm.

Most cruiselines do not sail the Med during December-March, which tells its own story. From mid-July to end August approximately are the main school holidays, so lots of kids on-board during these weeks.

I went during Thanksgiving week and I agree with sunshine_nana about the balcony. It was a waste so if you are going during that time, save your money.

Also, Nice and Capri were completely DEAD when we went because their season is during the summer. That was disappointing.

However, it was nice to go on the off season because nothing was crowded. Our guide at the Vatican said it was much better when we went because we get to see more without waiting to push through crowds.

Just curious.

April is less predictable weather-wise and sometimes rainfall is greater. If April were the only time someone could cruise, then I would say go for it otherwise (for me) May would be the earliest for better and warmer weather.

We did one in May and one in early August. May was perfect temperatures and site seeing spots were not overly crowded. August was hot and site seeing was extremely crowded as one would expect for the summer months. That said, we loved both and we realize we probably lucked out with great weather in May.

Just wanted to elaborate on my experience at the end of November. We didn't get any rain, though it was forecasted on one or two days. The weather was cool but most of the time, we did not need our jackets until the evening, and just wore light long-sleeved shirts and jeans. Hope that helps!

Archived