Would you pick Oasis or Voyager to Med?

I thought we were all set to take the Voyager out of Barcelona this summer, but an Ocean View Balcony on Oasis is $1099 in May, which seems ridiculously cheap. Doing both is not an option.

Oasis is the logical choice, right? BF says it's up to me, and I go back and forth on Oasis, but I feel like that's so cheap that we sort of have to.

Any thoughts? Thanks! The itinerary is Labadee, Costa Maya and Cozumel. We're not excursion people--and I've been to all 3--so that's not really a huge consideration.

I thought we were all set to take the Voyager out of Barcelona this summer, but an Ocean View Balcony on Oasis is $1099 in May, which seems ridiculously cheap. Doing both is not an option.

Oasis is the logical choice, right? BF says it's up to me, and I go back and forth on Oasis, but I feel like that's so cheap that we sort of have to.

Any thoughts? Thanks! The itinerary is Labadee, Costa Maya and Cozumel. We're not excursion people--and I've been to all 3--so that's not really a huge consideration.

It really comes down to whether or not you really want to go on a Med. cruise. After we had done lots of Caribbean cruises we decided to do a 12 night Med. on the Legend OTS from Rome (it included Egypt) - it was awesome. From that cruise we decided it would be great to see Venice this way so we booked a 12 night on the Brilliance OTS from Barcelona -- another awesome cruise. That being said, between pre/post stays in Europe, Excursions, Balcony Cabins, etc. etc. those 2 cruises cost us about 20K (we had airline points for first class flights in both cases).

We like all three of the ports on the Oasis itinerary; have been to all many times and look forward to going back again next winter.

It really comes down to whether or not you really want to go on a Med. cruise. After we had done lots of Caribbean cruises we decided to do a 12 night Med. on the Legend OTS from Rome (it included Egypt) - it was awesome. From that cruise we decided it would be great to see Venice this way so we booked a 12 night on the Brilliance OTS from Barcelona -- another awesome cruise. That being said, between pre/post stays in Europe, Excursions, Balcony Cabins, etc. etc. those 2 cruises cost us about 20K (we had airline points for first class flights in both cases).

We like all three of the ports on the Oasis itinerary; have been to all many times and look forward to going back again next winter.

I've been to Europe many times, BF has only been to England and Ireland. I thought Voyager would be a good "starter" for him--he's going to be over there anyway for work, so I'd meet up with him. I've been to all the ports that Voyager would go to, and I feel like Rome especially is one place where you need more than one day. If we take Voyager, it's for the ports. Oasis would be for the ship...and to save a lot of money on a vacation...

Such decisions!

You can't even compare the two. A Med cruise is probably the most awesome cruise we have done for the history and fabulous ports and beautiful scenery. You can't compare experiencing the Amalfi coast or Santorini to anything in the Caribbean. It really is a must do. Oasis is an experience in it self, but a different one. If you can do the Med i'd do it. I'm sure there will be deals on Oasis and Allure once the novelty wears off a bit.

I would say med cruise too. I have been looking into those myself. I would say it would be way cooler to see those ports then to go on oasis. Plus like others said the oasis will drop in price in a year or two.

Talk about comparing apples and oranges. Which you should choose really depends on your particular interests since they are two totally different experiences. If seeing the ports in the Mediterranean appeals to you more than sailing on a new, very large and innovative ship that goes to ports you have visited previously, your choice should be obvious- Voyager. If the ship you will be sailing on is more important than where it goes, choose Oasis. The only right answer to your question is to choose whichever cruise best suits your needs and interests. Unless this is the only cruise you expect to take, choose one for now and plan on sailing the other sometime in the future.

I would go with whatever you can afford. We were booked on a med cruise for 09/10 on the equinox. We had to cancel it and we booked the solstice instead. However much I wanted to do the med, the funds were just not going to be there and I don't want to go and be penny pinching...that's no fun. Our air alone would have been $900+ each plus the cruise and the tours in europe are more expensive. With doing the Oasis this October we just couldn't justify the med cruise. We will get there some day.....

Depends on what you want to cruise for ... personally I'd choose the Med because of the "been there, done that" of the Caribbean. Along with that, I'm not a person who will pay hundreds of dollars extra just to be on a specific ship ... I'll probably try Oasis at some point, but but I've cruised on RCCL 10 days in a balcony for hundreds less than the price point you mentioned for 7-days in an OV on Oasis.

I would pick Voyager without hesitation. But then, I'm someone who cruises for the itinerary first, ship second. For me, the ship is NOT the destination.

For me, it's like saying: Should I pick the above average hotel in Hawaii or the super-fabulous resert in Knoxville, Tennessee? (No offense intended; I used to live in Tennessee.) Oasis goes to the same old places. The only reason to choose Oasis is for the ship. I'd rather go to Hawaii than Tennessee, even if it means staying in a Holiday Inn rather than a Four Star Resort.

Thanks everyone for such good points to consider. Still torn! Am leaning towards Oasis simply because of the money issue--if we take that trip, we can have a great vacation, plus have money for more travel this year. I guess we need to consider if we want a vacation where we do a lot or just kind of relax--as most of you said, the ports as the destination or the ship as the destination.

Thanks so much!

If your BF will already be in Europe for work, then I'd do the Mediterranean.

We were on the Oasis in December and it is awesome, but I expect the prices will drop even more for Oasis after the Allure starts sailing next December.

You need to make a determination of why you are sailing -- ports or ship?

If it is the cost, you could probably get a less expensive cruise to the Caribbean than on Oasis.

Med cruises tend to be more expensive overall due to the transatlantic airfare, most docks are at least 2-3 hours away from the main cities, tours are needed and can be quite costly. If you do a Med. sailing, you will do it to see the ports and not to stay on the ship.

If you are sailing for a romantic trip, do the Caribbean since the ports aren't the main thing.

If you boyfriend will be working in Europe, you will have other opportunities to go there.

MARAPRINCE

Archived