Cambria Suites - Great Stay

cal101

Just back from a 10 day cruise on the Ruby Princess and as I promised before we left following is our experience at the Cambria Suites.

We drove down from SC and stayed for 1 night pre-cruise. Had reserved the park/cruise package for $129 plus taxes. The hotel is brand new and everything is nice and clean. The staff was very nice, friendly and helpful. They have a breakfast buffet for $8 per person, so since we had the car we drove over to McDonald's about 1/2 mile away located in a large shopping center with a K-mart. Walking is doable, but you will have to cross a very busy highway.

The hotel shuttle took us to the ship and picked us up on our return at no charge. Be sure to sign up for a shuttle time when you check in at the hotel. It was very crowded...just be patient, they run it has efficiently as possible. We left the car parked at the hotel (included in the package) for 10 days with no problems.

We were very happy with our stay at Cambria Suites, will definitely stay there again and recommend it without hesitation.

If anyone has any questions, I will be happy to try and answer them.

We have stayed at other Cambria Suites and have always enjoyed them. Can you tell me a little more about the area? We won't have a car so I'm interested in hearing more about what is within walking distance. Restaurants, Walgreens, liquor stores, water taxi stop - - anything else that would be helpful would be appreciated. :)

We stayed at the Cambria Suites in Fort Lauderdale.

There is a restaurant located right in the hotel, but we did not eat there so I cannot tell you how the food was. There is also a coffee bar with pastries and all the fancy coffees. Regular coffee and fruit (bananas, apples, oranges) is available at no charge. I only noticed a couple of restaurants (a sandwich shop and a Mexican) right near the hotel.

The hotel is immediately off I95 and sits back behind the Best Western. As I mentioned before there is a very large shopping center about 1/2 mile from the hotel, but you willl have to cross a busy highway. There are traffic lights and sidewalks and I did see a lot of people walking. The shopping center has a lot of stores...the ones I remember the names of were Tacco Bell, McDonald's, K-Mart, Marshalls, Bed Bath and Beyond. I don't remember seeing a liquor store or Walgreens in the shopping center, but we did not go all thru it. We just went to McDonald's for breakfast and to K-Mart to pick up a couple of things I forgot. K-Mart was very large and had a pharmacy and did sell beer and wine. We drove to the Bahia Cabana to meet a large group for dinner on Friday night. There are a number of other hotels right around the shopping center and I remember seeing a couple of other restaurants, but do not remember the names.

I do not know for sure about the water taxi stop, but do not believe there was one nearby.

Hope this information helps.

We have stayed at other Cambria Suites and have always enjoyed them. Can you tell me a little more about the area? We won't have a car so I'm interested in hearing more about what is within walking distance. Restaurants, Walgreens, liquor stores, water taxi stop - - anything else that would be helpful would be appreciated. :)

If you don't have a car stay somewhere else. We stayed here March 19, 2010 and we would never stay here again. The hotel sits way back off of the road and is so new that the taxi drivers can't find it with their GPS. We had the front desk call us a cab so we could go get some dinner at the nearby shopping center. We waited an hour for the cab because he had no clue where the Cambria Suites was (not in his GPS). The shopping center is HUGE but you have to call for a cab. The shopping center is close by but not walkable - very, very busy main roads. When we were done dinner we called for a cab and waited over an hour and then had to direct the cab driver back to where we were staying because he had no clue where the Cambria Suites were. There is no restaurant per say in hotel. There is a very limited menu where you can order from and tables set up in the "lobby area".

We were supposed to be on the 10am shuttle, after being talked out of getting a taxi by the front desk. They gave our spots away on the shuttle even though we were standing in front of the desk waiting at 9:50am. The front desk staff was rude and ignorant! I would NEVER stay here again.

Spammie,

We were also there on March 19th. I am sorry you had such a bad experience. I knew up front by reading other posts and those on Trip Advisor that it would be hard to find because the hotel was so new. I just put the Best Western address in my GPS and it took me right there.

As far as the staff being rude and ignorant...we did not have that at all. We had a 1:00 shuttle time and it ran about 25 min late. Because the ship that everyone else on the shuttle was going to did not leave until 7:00 p.m. I just asked the driver to drop us off first and we got to the Ruby Princess in plenty of time. We were thru check-in and on the ship within 15 min of getting off the shuttle. What difference does it make whether you wait in line at the terminal or sit in a comfortable chair in the hotel lobby and wait. Getting angry and rude with the staff will only get you the same treatment in return.

We stayed here on March 12th before our cruise and then again on March 20th after our cruise. It was a very nice place to stay, but they do need some help with organizing their shuttles. Our plane arrived 4 hours late on that Friday night so we weren't able to use their shuttle, when we were able to check in, we signed up for the noon shuttle to get to the cruise ship. we watched her write down our room number on the sheet.

The next morning, when we went down to wait for the shuttle, they had no record of us signing up. There were several other families that had the same problem. They did call and get another shuttle coming, so it was taken care of. We didnt get to leave at the same time that we had signed up for, but we were taken care of. You can tell they are just working the "kinks" out of their system.

On the return trip, we had to be at the airport at 5 am, and there were no problems with the shuttle this time other than they overbooked.

we would stay there again. my word of advice is to just doublecheck that they actually have you listed on the shuttle that you want to be on.

Cal101, Thank you so much for your review. We are staying here on 12/5. I really appreciated the idea of putting the address of BW in our GPS as I was not even getting Cambria address on Mapquest.

Can you tell me if the coffee maker in the room was one of the small 2 cup pots, one that takes special pods or a regular size coffee pot. We are both big coffee drinkers and want to be prepared. :)

You mention you drove to Bahia Cabana. Can you tell me if it was an easy drive to get there? We are staying 2 nights and will want to go into FL beach area at least once. About how long a drive was it?

Again, thanks so much for your help.

JoAnn

JoAnn

We did not use the coffee pot in the room, but if I remember correctly it was the two cup size. Regular coffee was available in the lobby at no charge at the coffee bar. They also had all the fancy coffees for a fee.

We had a Cruise Critic gathering at the Bahia Cabana out on the deck. It is right on the water in the middle of a marina (actually part of a Days Inn). The food was very good, great Bloody Mary's and they have valet parking. Again I put the address in my GPS and it took me right there with no problems. The drive was about 15 min.

If I can answer any other questions, please just ask. Have a wonderful cruise.

Carol

Thanks so much Carol. I booked here and told my other friends who also booked rooms. Then I was having second thoughts, worrying about the location. Last year we stayed at Embassy on 17th and it was a great hotel and a great location. I'm sure we'll be fine at Cambria, it's just the unknown area and I feel responsible if it turned out to be a difficult location (after reading it was pretty remote). I'm sure it will be fine and the hotel looks so nice and it's NEW, even better. I just couldn't justify ES when I compared it at $500 (2 nights and cruise parking) to Cambria at $200 for the same thing.

Thanks again!

JoAnn

• 4 weeks later...

We stayed at Cambria Suites on April 18th, and we loved it. We would definitely stay there again pre or post cruise. We'd even stay for an extended time for a land vacation. The location is not remote; it's just that their sign is still temporary and tricky to spot.

The hotel is new, and rooms are spotless and in excellent shape. We had two large beds, and the "living room" area is large and comfortable. The service at the front desk was wonderful. We were looking for a Target or Walm. to pick up last minute items, and the desk staff printed out maps for getting there and back. Every request we made was quickly attended to with a smile. We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel because we had a car, and there was a shopping center nearby with several restaurants. All in all, it was a good location if you have a car, and an excellent hotel.

Fritz thanks so much for the update! I've read it's difficult to find the entrance. Did you find it so? Can you by chance name what restaurants might be near by? We will have a car.

Thanks again!

JoAnn

When we stayed there in February, I can remember thinking "what's a nice hotel like you doing in a place like this?"

The hotel is great, but the location is really iffy. Probably okay for someone straight off the interstate and getting right back on the next morning.

You are in Florida - find a beach or at least a nice location. We were really disappointed with our choice and we love Cambria Suites.

When we stayed there in February, I can remember thinking "what's a nice hotel like you doing in a place like this?"

The hotel is great, but the location is really iffy. Probably okay for someone straight off the interstate and getting right back on the next morning.

You are in Florida - find a beach or at least a nice location. We were really disappointed with our choice and we love Cambria Suites.

We stayed here in March and thought the same thing. The rooms were great but the location not so much. We won't stay here again.

Archived