Sydney - cruise ship to airport

JACKHAWK

We are arriving in Sydney in Feb on RSSC at 8am. Then we will be flying back to U.S.

How long does it take to get to the airport? One flight leaves at 11:15am. The next at 9pm.

Any suggestions?

Roughly 10km. Through the city via expressway. Globaliser has first-hand experience with SYD, IIRC.

What time does the cruiseline recommend for flights? There's a reason behind their recommendations - just because it says 8am doesn't mean you'll debark starting at 8am.

Every time I've departed Sydney airport it has taken all of 2 hours to get through the whole process. You have to be at the check in desk at the time required or they don't let you go any further in the process. Check your airline's WEB site for the most recent information on this.

They are also very careful about the weight and size of carry on bags. It is not negotiable.

You didn't specify a date, or what your final destination will be. Wherever you are going, you will need to change planes in either Los Angeles or San Francisco. Using Feb. 15, 2011 as an example:

QF107 SYD 12:00 LAX 06:25

QF 11 SYD 15:10 LAX 09:50

UA 840 SYD 15:25 LAX 09:52

UA 870 SYD 16:25 SFO 10:58

DL 16 SYD 11:15 LAX 06:00

...there may be others...

Any of the above, except maybe the DELTA flight, should allow sufficient time for disembarkation, immigration/customs, and travel to the airport (about a 40 minute ride, depending on traffic).

Expect arrival in Sydney sometime between 5AM and 7AM (check with your cruise line about this). Disembarkation probably won't commence until approximately 2 hours after arrival.

Enjoy the cruise.

They are also very careful about the weight and size of carry on bags. It is not negotiable.

As it has been a while since traveling to Oz, is that an airport restriction or airline restriction? Asking because I have a mileage run set to Sydney - and FYI for those who just want to visit, fares of under $700 ai from SFO and LAX are available.

Another option is the train. The Circular Quay station is a 10 minute walk from the dock (presuming the ship uses Circ Quay and not Darling Harbour). From the CQ train station fare is about $15 per person to the airport. Travel time is 20 minutes and it stops in the bottom level of the International Terminal. The train is used by commuters, so weekday in the afternoon could be crowded. It's only a good option if you're mobile with your luggage.

Also I understand that taxis are comparable in price, but subject to rush hour traffic.

How long does it take to get to the airport?
Once you're rolling in a cab, about 20 minutes. But as others have said, the real uncertainty is over how long it will take before you're actually rolling.

If your ship docks at 8 am, then 11.15 am is almost certainly far too early for a flight.

As it has been a while since traveling to Oz, is that an airport restriction or airline restriction? Asking because I have a mileage run set to Sydney - and FYI for those who just want to visit, fares of under $700 ai from SFO and LAX are available.

It is enforced at baggage check in where they actually look at your carry on bag. It is enforced again at boarding. Of course if you have your heavy stuff in a Scottevest jacket or vest, that doesn't count in your carry on weight! (but don't tell anyone that).

My carry on bag has no wheels and so is not generally looked at too carefully. They really go after wheeled bags!

Every time I've departed Sydney airport it has taken all of 2 hours to get through the whole process.

2hrs? I guess I've been lucky in that my handful of SYD departures it was no different from any other airport in terms of departing on an international flight.

My 20" wheeled bag has never even garnered a second glance...

Archived