Embarkation lunch

Pettifogger

Back in March on the Westerdam the main dining room had a fixed menu of Indo/Asian food. Very good, multi-course, full service and very relaxing. About 2/3 full, lower level only, served from 12-1:30. No problem storing carry-ons next to the tables. Not rushed to leave and when the cabin available announcement was made at 1:30 most folks cleared out. Have done the Lido Limbo in the past and the MDR experience was far more civilized. Recommend you try it.

Can anyone go to the MDR on embracation (sp?? - sorry) day or is it only for mariners? We are travelling with 4 kids under the age of 6 and don't want to deal with the Lido and they do really well in the MDR. Once the cruise starts we near eat in the Lido except after 9pm looking for a snack. Thanks.

Before the new Mariner program began last Oct, on Vista ships anyone could eat in the MDR on embarkation day. I think that policy continues, despite HAL now calling it a Mariners brunch. I suggest that you go by the MDR and check, and I doubt that you'll be refused. The worst that can happen is that they'll say no!

Before the new Mariner program began last Oct, on Vista ships anyone could eat in the MDR on embarkation day. I think that policy continues, despite HAL now calling it a Mariners brunch. I suggest that you go by the MDR and check, and I doubt that you'll be refused. The worst that can happen is that they'll say no!

When we boarded the welcome guides attempted to direct us to the Lido. Although we were Mariners, we simply told them we wanted to eat in the MDR and they pointed the way. Nobody asked at any time if we were Mariners including the dining room manager when we arrived at the podium. They seated us with with no issues. With children, much easier to watch them and have a dedicated seat. Food may be unique to them if it is Indo/Asian, but the waiter can probably figure out a way to satisfy them if the courses are not to their liking.

Every cruise we have been on since Mariners Embarkation Lunch was introduced, they have been quite firm we were to go to Lido. I have asked about lunch in the MDR and have been told, "Oh no....... go to Lido."

Of course, from reading here we know they offer lunch in MDR and wonder why they try so hard to direct us away from there.

DH and I actually prefer Lido for Embarkation Lunch so have never pushed the issue. I like the energy and excitement of cruisers newly boarding and anticipating a great cruise that we feel in Lido.

On the Indonesian menu, we had fried rice with bits of scrambled egg and vegetables, and something akin to a teriyaki chicken leg that would have been fine for kids. I'm sure there will be a children's menu though, so don't let the Indonesian food worry you. It was quite tame for the 'round eyes'. :)

On the Indonesian menu, we had fried rice with bits of scrambled egg and vegetables, and something akin to a teriyaki chicken leg that would have been fine for kids. I'm sure there will be a children's menu though, so don't let the Indonesian food worry you. It was quite tame for the 'round eyes'. :)

That dish sounds like it might have been Nasi Goreng.

We just headed to the MDR for lunch and stopped on our way to make dinner reservations for the first three nights; they were sitting in the Ex. Lounge with their laptops.

No one checked to see if we were Mariners..........we decided it would be nice, quiet and relaxed in the MDR after the "rush" of the morning, the lines, etc.

Lunch was delicious and my grandson even had seconds of the "fish only, no noodles, please". I'd told him if there was nothing in the MDR he liked or if he was still hungry, we could go up to LIDO and waste time up there but he was very satisfied..............and our Suite was ready!:p

When we got on the Zuiderdam, we just headed towards the dining room -- no one tried to tell us to go to the Lido. We kept our carry-ons with us at the table.

Our lunch:

Appetizers:

Mediterranean Salami

Bay Shrimp Cocktail

Soups:

Cream of Broccoli

Chicken & Corn

Entrees:

Fettucini Gorgonzola with Spicy Chicken Breast

Chicken & Mango Salad

Pan Seared Salmon Filet

Chicken Cacciatore

Desserts:

Chocolate Mousse Cake

Cherry Pie

Strawberry Mousse

Vanilla or Chocolate Ice Cream

We will definitely go to the MDR. Usually we wait at the hotel, the husbands get take out pizzas and we eat with the kids and leave for the port after 1pm to avoid the crazy rush. This year I'm going to convince all to go early and eat at the MDR instead of pizza (ick). Forgot the free hotel shuttle, I'd rather spend the $ on the taxi instead of the pizza.

Our little kids do fine whatever is on the menu. Asia food is even better since we are Asians and can eat thai, indo, chinese, japanese, korean whatever. We're not fussy. Cruising is a time to try "everything". At least I tell the kids that when they see mommy orders 3 appetizers - HA!

Thanks everyone for the info.

Archived