Kayaking Shoup Glacier

midwife56

There aren't too many people on this board who get around to Valdez, so you may not get a good answer. I tried to get an opinion last year about kayaking the Columbia glacier or the Shoup glacier, since we wanted to do a full day trip to one and they both sounded about the same. We went with Columbia, so I can't tell you specifically about Shoup, but the trips we were looking at were full day events. To know endurance required, you would have to know how long the actual kayaking is. They'll have to shuttle you on a boat to the glacier, then you get out an paddle. The trip with the outfit we went through included getting out for a hike on the glacier. That meant less time spent paddling, easier on your arms. That said, when we went to Columbia glacier on the day trip, it was so rainy and cold that we only got out for a quick lunch standing up. It was too cold outside of the kayaks. So we got more paddling in than some would. I paddled vigorously because I was having so much fun, but then that night my arms were SOOOOO sore. My DH called me t-rex b/c of the position I kept my arms in. I was worthless that evening for packing, but recovered by the next morning. I don't know if your Shoup Glacier experience through Princess is the same thing I was choosing between last year independently, but we had a good time kayaking PWS. Just be aware that the Princess Lodge is probably the one an hour or so up the highway from Valdez, since I don't think there is one in Valdez. Enjoy your trip one way or the other!

Thanks so much for the answer. I was able to contact the kayak company and they said it doesn't require a great deal of endurance and it is good for all acitivity levels. It sounds alot like your adventure. Kayak....beach landing...kayak. It just seems like it would be beautiful. Thanks again.

Archived