Ship time vs. port time in PV

39august

Am I correct that the ports on the Mexican Riviera are the same as Pacific time the ship is on? Or does Mexico not observe daylight savings time, which would make PV one hour later than ship time in May? I need to make a reservation at a spa.

Am I correct that the ports on the Mexican Riviera are the same as Pacific time the ship is on? Or does Mexico not observe daylight savings time, which would make PV one hour later than ship time in May? I need to make a reservation at a spa.

With rare exception, ships on the standard 7-day itineraries will have ship's time in Puerto Vallarta one hour behind Vallarta local time (7 AM ship's time = 8 AM local time). Ship's time will match local time in Cabo and Mazatlan.

On 10 and 11 day itineraries, where the ship visits several ports in the central time zone (Ixtapa, Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta), ship's time will match local time for Vallarta and the other ports in the central time zone.

Enjoy!

I am confused too. When I booked our pirate excursion in Pv I asked them about time difference and they looked up the Carnival Splendor and said it will get there at 9. The same as the ship time, I hope that is correct!!!

I am also mystified. When I googled daylight savings time for Mexico, the information said that as of the first Sunday in April, all but the state of Sonora would be on DST. PV is in Jalisco state. How in the heck could PV be ahead of ship time last week? PV would not have gone to DST until Sunday April 4. So they should have been behind ship time, since we "spring forward" an hour for DST. Strange. So now I still don't know!

I am also mystified. When I googled daylight savings time for Mexico, the information said that as of the first Sunday in April, all but the state of Sonora would be on DST. PV is in Jalisco state. How in the heck could PV be ahead of ship time last week? PV would not have gone to DST until Sunday April 4. So they should have been behind ship time, since we "spring forward" an hour for DST. Strange. So now I still don't know!

Couldn't agree with you more.

Me, when I leave the ship in PV, I set my watch to ship time. Ship time is King and that is what matters. It is sad and uncalled for to observe late passengers when the ship is ready to depart.

Ships sail from CA with ship's clock set to US Pacific time. Cabo and Mazatlan are in the Mountain time zone, Vallarta is in the central time zone.

Normally, the ship's clock will be moved FORWARD one hour after sailing from CA so they match US & Mexican Mountain time (Cabo & Mazatlan). In March, when the US jumps forward one hour and Mexico does not, the ship's clock has no need to be moved forward since CA time already matches Cabo/Mazatlan. In any event, ship's time will be one hour BEHIND Vallarta local time. This applies to the standard seven day MR itinerary.

There is a very detailed thread on the Carnival forum that reports, day by day, the entire Splendor itinerary. The author reports Splendor arrives in Vallarta at 8 AM ship's time (complete with a photo of the ship's announcement), 9 AM local time as it is listed in the published itinerary.

Sapphire normally arrives in Vallarta at 10 AM local time.

Enjoy!

Ships sail from CA with ship's clock set to US Pacific time. Cabo and Mazatlan are in the Mountain time zone, Vallarta is in the central time zone.

Normally, the ship's clock will be moved FORWARD one hour after sailing from CA so they match US & Mexican Mountain time (Cabo & Mazatlan). In March, when the US jumps forward one hour and Mexico does not, the ship's clock has no need to be moved forward since CA time already matches Cabo/Mazatlan. In any event, ship's time will be one hour BEHIND Vallarta local time. This applies to the standard seven day MR itinerary.

There is a very detailed thread on the Carnival forum that reports, day by day, the entire Splendor itinerary. The author reports Splendor arrives in Vallarta at 8 AM ship's time (complete with a photo of the ship's announcement), 9 AM local time as it is listed in the published itinerary.

Sapphire normally arrives in Vallarta at 10 AM local time.

Enjoy!

Thanks so much I have been so stressed about our excursion in PV cause of the time difference, but this clears it up....

Archived