November 2010 Shadow - Singapore-Hong Kong, Hong Kong-Hong Kong

Alldee

We are relatively new cruisers, and have booked these two cruises for later in the year. The weather seems quite complicated - ie some sites forecast mainly cool weather, although we were assured, when booking, that it would be warm and mainly sunny! Can anyone speak from experience, just to give us a guide what kind of clothes to pack, please?

I am booked on this cruise too. My concern is the erratic weather that this area experienced earlier this year. I believe that this is the optimum time of year to travel to this area weatherwise and from my research temperature can vary between quite warm in Hong Kong to the 50's elsewhere. I was thinking about packing blackand grey pants, as well as jeans and everything from cashmere sweaters to light cotton shirts. I will bring my quilted Buberry jacket( the one everyone seems to have). Nightime, I am tending toward fall clothes.

Thank you for your reply, and I hope we will meet on the cruise! It seems a bit depressing having to take 'warm' clothes on a cruise - somehow cruise = sun!! However, I have come to the same conclusions as you on researching possible weather, and I think I will take dark clothes and also lighter ones in case it is better than expected. We have just been on a Western Caribbean cruise, and the weather was quite mixed - although there were lots of sunny periods. We were told that it had been the worst winter for many, many years.

We have visited Hong Kong and Singapore in November and had hot, humid weather with very heavy downpours, so I agree that the waterproofs are necessary!

I am still deciding if we are going to go on this cruise. The thought of lugging all the different clothing scenerios,plus the uncertainty of the weather and possible rough seas are giving me second thoughts. My cruise line of choice is Seabourn. I chose this cruise due to the itinerary and frankly the free air was appealing. I have booked a 2011 Seabourn cruise to Norway. I personally would like to take a land tour this year, my husband however loves to cruise. We will see who wins this one.

What are the best "weather months" to cruise this area?:confused:

Well, according to people I know who have been, and also the cruise adviser on Silversea who sold the cruise to us, and who has cruised it several times, November-December is usually the best. However, the weather has been so unpredictable recently that I think it is a chance we have to take! We really want to do this itinerary, so are going to go anyway!

Agree, don't want to take too many clothes, but maybe a change of 'cold' clothes would be enough, as I am hoping we will be wearing mostly 'sunny' clothes - even if there is a bit of rain! Interesting that you should say everyone wears black - I haven't noticed that, but I don't wear much black other than evening 'do's' Are you doing the 20 day cruise, or the 10 day?

• 1 month later...

Hi, we are on the 6 November cruise from singapore to Hong Kong. Is anyone getting their own visa for Vietnam? Can't get an answer from SS if we need to get our own if we are going to make our own land arrangements in Vietnam I know that they supply one if you do their tours. Should we get our own to be safe, would hate to go all this way and not be able to get off the boat.

Thanks, I have checked with my TA and with SS. Did not get a satisfactory answer. My TA said that they would check with SS, SS said they were not sure if I needed one if I left the cruiseship on my own in port in Vietnam. But of course they want to sell their own shore excusions. I have looked at the e-visa's but they can only be issued at the major airports. Then the questions is single entry or muti entry visa. I was hoping that someone who has been on this cruise would let us know. Yes, it would be great to meet up with all of you.

I was looking at the Seabourn, one of my favorite cruise lines. Did you like the cruise? My DH voted it because you spend 3 days in Bangkok (a real concern) and he wanted a real balcony. Plenty of time to decide. Appreciate your response.

• 2 weeks later...

Have been in HongKong in both November and recently last January. Best time to be there. Their "cold" means it is not suffocatingly hot and humid. The air is quite fresh then and often nicely sunny days. A light sweater would be all you need, and worry about being in too much A/C than in cold outside weather. Rain is always a possibility so a lightweight travel umbrella is always handy. There is little you cannot buy there if you feel you did not pack the right combination for the weather you find.

In fact if you have time before your ship leaves Hong Kong, spend it on getting things for your trip that you won't have to pack and spend that weight on your luggage allowance, like shampoo and hand cream if you normally bring that along. If you are docked at the Ocean Terminal there are plenty of shops with standard western brands close by, premium and otherwise. Great cruise port.

Morningstar,

I loved the cruise on Seabourn through Southeast Asia. One of the best I have ever taken. One thing I'd advise whichever line you take is to use private guides in the ports in Viet Nam. It is so much more comprehensive and flexible than ship's tours.

Archived