How do you air travel with a booster seat?

tropiclvrs

I will be bringing my DD a full booster seat and DS just the backless booster. My question is, what do we do with these when flying? I'm afraid that if we check them in as luggage, they will get damaged as they aren't as sturdy as a regular carseat. Do they allow them on the plane with the kids? I thought I read on here somehwere that they do not.

They do not allow them to be used on the plane. I pack the boosters for my twins in a suitcase or padded duffel bag and check them (as long as that's all that's in the bag, it's not counted against my luggage allowance).

Best,

Mia

I will be bringing my DD a full booster seat and DS just the backless booster. My question is, what do we do with these when flying? I'm afraid that if we check them in as luggage, they will get damaged as they aren't as sturdy as a regular carseat. Do they allow them on the plane with the kids? I thought I read on here somehwere that they do not.

What's the difference between booster seats and car seats? Confused!

What's the difference between booster seats and car seats? Confused!

A booster is a car seat for older children. It basically helps to position the regular seat belt on the child so it doesn't cut across their neck, positions the lap belt etc. A convertible car seat has a 5 point harness and is secured to the vehicle with the seat belt or latch connectors. Boosters can't be used on planes as they are only lap belts.

I would plan on checking the booster seat, see if you could get a travel bag to protect them... maybe wrap in a towel?

A booster is a car seat for older children. It basically helps to position the regular seat belt on the child so it doesn't cut across their neck, positions the lap belt etc. A convertible car seat has a 5 point harness and is secured to the vehicle with the seat belt or latch connectors. Boosters can't be used on planes as they are only lap belts.

I would plan on checking the booster seat, see if you could get a travel bag to protect them... maybe wrap in a towel?

Thanks! That's pretty much what I thought, but wanted to make sure. Guess I used booster seats way back when. My next question would be: Why would you bring booster seats on a cruise?

I always check the car seats/booster seat in a big duffel... right from the car at the airport into the duffel bag. I usually throw the sweaters/coats or a towel in with them (sometimes shoes LOL). When the kids were really small, I would throw in a few packages of diapers in the duffel with the car seat.

No problem. When you land and get your luggage, you can just pull the car seat out of the duffel, and pop it into the rental car.

Have a great trip.

imsulin,

I'm assuming the OP has pre or post cruise plans that require taking her child around in a car.

Thanks! That's pretty much what I thought, but wanted to make sure. Guess I used booster seats way back when. My next question would be: Why would you bring booster seats on a cruise?

For excursions in private vans and taxi rides. Many states and countries will not allow children to ride in a taxi without a car seat or booster seat - and wouldn't want my kids to be without their seats even if it was allowed.

Best,

Mia

I always check the car seats/booster seat in a big duffel... right from the car at the airport into the duffel bag. I usually throw the sweaters/coats or a towel in with them (sometimes shoes LOL). When the kids were really small, I would throw in a few packages of diapers in the duffel with the car seat.

No problem. When you land and get your luggage, you can just pull the car seat out of the duffel, and pop it into the rental car.

Have a great trip.

imsulin,

I'm assuming the OP has pre or post cruise plans that require taking her child around in a car.

That makes sense, especially in the US! I'm just wondering how a booster seat/car seat could be used on a cruise if there's no rental car (which has seat belts) involved. Last summer, my DD and SIL flew cross-country with 5-point carseats for the 2 1/2 and 6 month olds, and rented a van for the duration. But, we were in the US. Rental cars in POC in the Caribbean and Mexico have seat belts. Most taxis and vans that I've ridden in do not have seat belts of any kind in these POC!! The taxi I took in Tortola had fully-functional seat belts, but that's the only one I can recall. What gets me is that the US territories (USVI and Puerto Rico don't require car seats at all! I've been criticized for saying this, but I'll say it again. There's a real lack of public transportation in the Caribbean/Mexican Ports of Call that offer seat belts to secure a car or booster seat. I'm not talking about buses or water taxis. (Cringing as I post this)

Thanks for the info! Maybe we will put in the booster seats in a duffel and check it in. I just worry about them putting it at the bottom of the luggage cart with 500lbs on top of it! Anyone else out there that brought it on board the plane and stowed it above?

We are planning on using the seats for the car service that will take us from the airport to our hotel, and on our return back to the ariprot from the port. Also, if we want to use a taxi in port, I may use them both as backless and simply wait for a taxi that does have seatbelts. You can't tell me that all of them don't have workig seatbelts! I imagine that the belts are there, just stuffed down in the seat and need to be dug out.

I may use them both as backless and simply wait for a taxi that does have seatbelts. You can't tell me that all of them don't have workig seatbelts! I imagine that the belts are there, just stuffed down in the seat and need to be dug out.

I see a lot of posts here stating that cabs don't have seatbelts. I have done quite a bit of traveling to many places, and I rarely see a cab without working seatbelts. You are right to bring the seats. Have a great trip.

tropiclvrs.... Thanks for the info! Maybe we will put in the booster seats in a duffel and check it in. I just worry about them putting it at the bottom of the luggage cart with 500lbs on top of it! Anyone else out there that brought it on board the plane and stowed it above?

tropiclvrs,

It will be fine, the seats are sturdy, you won't have a problem. Don't try schlepping it on the plane just to protect the seat... think about it, you'll have your child, stroller to fold up, carry on, aisles are so narrow, storage space above at a minimum... plus everyone will look at you like you are crazy :)

We are planning on using the seats for the car service that will take us from the airport to our hotel, and on our return back to the ariprot from the port. Also, if we want to use a taxi in port, I may use them both as backless and simply wait for a taxi that does have seatbelts. You can't tell me that all of them don't have workig seatbelts! I imagine that the belts are there, just stuffed down in the seat and need to be dug out.

I get using it for the transfers, but, what are you going to do with that seat at the Port of Call once the taxi drops you off at your destination? Walk around holding a car seat? Leave it in the cab and hope the same guy picks you up in the afternoon? Everyone has to be in their comfort zone, but, for me, I just let them ride in the taxi the couple of miles from port to the beach or town or whatever. The risk of a single car ride over a child's lifetime is pretty low. My kids are in school now, and ride the bus everyday with a seat belt (I'm against this, but have no choice).

Sally

I would try to take it to the gate and check it in there.

Gate checked luggage meets you when you disembark from the plane... the same place where they stick your strollers and wheelchairs and stuff.

Over the past 14 years, I've checked car seats and boosters as luggage on more flights than I can count. I've always just used the plastic bag suppled by the airline. I've never had one so much as scratched. Just check it.

I've checked car seats in a plastic bag before and part of the plastic bottom was cracked when we received. I've also had one lost before and the airline had to deliver it to me the next day (they gave us one to drive home with). We've checked the boosters at the gate before (leave it at the door right before stepping on to plane where they also take strollers) to guarantee that we get the seats when we get off the plane. But then you have to lug it through the airport. We bought carseat bags years ago and it makes lugging them through the airport not as bad since they are like backpacks.

We've never had a problem with damage to our boosters. Back when we had 4 in boosters and carseats, we had a huge duffel that fit all of them. We ended up flying a lot in that time period.

A large Duffel bag is the way to go... Throw some shoes and towels in there (but leave it empty enough to fit the booster), then when you get to the airport just throw the booster into the duffel bag. It should cost you no more than $10 for a cheap duffel bag.

I have always checked our car seats in a big duffel bag but my trip to Florida this week I gate checked the car seat, full size booster and stroller. I saw some people with the backless booster carry it on the plane. With a backless booster, you can store it under the stroller while in ports so you can be safe and use the booster in taxis.

Thanks for all the tips! I am so glad to be finally travelling only with booster seats. Gone are the days where we lug around the Britax Marathons (heavy and bulky)! Even if we decide to gate check the seats, it sounds heavenly compared to what we have gone through in the past :p

Archived