Newbie w/ a Question...

cmwlv

Hello all.... I'm new to this board and am going on my first cruise to Nassau. We sail out on Feb 6 on the SOS. My question is that I have never been out of the country so I'm wanting to try so many things... We are only in Nassau for 1 day (4night cruise) will I have time to do what I want to do?

For example, there are three stores I know that I have to go in and I have already found where they are located but DH and I want to do sight seeing, the Thriller boat ride and go to one of the private beaches (Breezes, Blackbeards, etc) and just enjoy the beautiful water and beach (basically lay in the sun). If I was to book online how do I know what time the ship will be doing these excursions?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Wendy

I assume if you know some shops you want to visit that you'll be doing some sightseeing while locating them. I found the town to be very picturesque. You certainly do NOT need a ship's tour to go to a beach. Both Cable beach and Cabbage beach, where Atlantis is located, are quickly accessible by taxi. I know nothing of the "thriller boat ride", but I would think if you shop and go to the beach you are going to have a full day and experience much of the best of Nassau. One suggestion for your shopping/sightseeing...Ask someone(natives are very friendly a bit away from the pier where many are pushing to sell something) the directions to Queen's Staircase. These are steep steps cut by slave labor into the wall of Ft. Fincastle. Or, if you are docked where you can see the tall tower sticking up, head for it. That is the fort tower. Only takes about 15-20 minutes to walk it.

So I don't have to book an excursion to go to the beach? I thought that was the only way to enjoy the beach....

I have heard a lot about the Queen's Staircase... that is one of the things I wanted to visit....

I want to take a lot of pics so that I can remember this cruise, who knows when i will go on another one....

I would see if the Thriller boat has a very early run and do it first to allow the stores to open, then probably the sightseeing followed by the beach. Get a taxi to take you on the sightseeing run and drop you at a beach where you can get another cab back. How long and what times are you there?:)

There is no charge to use the beaches in Nassau. Only a charge if you want to use the hotel's facilities. I understand the hotels along Cable beach are more likely to let you use chairs and unbrellas at no charge as long as you purchase a drink or food. Another alternative to taxiing to a beach is this. Walk to the British Colonial Hilton hotel, visable from the pier. (or ask) it's about 3 blocks. Enter their beach area. Sometimes they charge $15 pp to use their facilities, sometimes they don't. It's a nice beach area and you can see the ships from there. Good photo op.

Archived