Best way to handle a possible late cancelation

Hello,

My family and I are cruising in Jan 2011, on Enchantment of the seas. We currently have a foster child with us who may or may not be part of our family when we cruise. If she is still with us, we absolutely want her on the cruise and have already made a reservation for her. The problem is that I do not know if she will be with us in January, and may not know until as late as December 2010, just a few weeks before sailing.

If she can not join us is there any way to cancel her reservation just before we sail due to the unusual circumstances? If not can I transfer her reservation to another person? Is there a fee for that? Any one have any other thoughts or ideas?

TIA

You can transfer to another person. The fee is nominal, I think about $35. Your only other option is insurance - and you'd have to purchase a policy that covers cancelation for pretty much any reason.

I see a much bigger issue in that you would have to have proper documentation - e.g., certified birth certificate, notarized letters authorizing you to take her out of the country, notarized letters for medical treatment if necessary, etc.

Thanks for the advice. Documentation is not a problem. Both the Division of Social Services and her birth parents have approved the cruise. We are in the process of getting her a passport as I type this.

Archived