Beagle Channel cruising

Coolcruise02

Our ship lists Beagle Channel cruising the day we are in Ushaia. How much do you actually see from the cruise ship? The lighthouse? I was going to book an excursion for the Beagle Channel that goes by islands to see wildlife and the lighthouse but wondered if it was the same that you would see from the ship.

Thanks for any info!

A cruise ship cannot get you as close to the sea lions and other fauna as a catamaran and the lighthouse is completely different when viewed from water level. We cruised on the Barracuda; we bought our tickets that morning and priced shop for the best offer since they all go to the same places. However, what you do want to see from the cruise ship are the glaciers that line the channel west of Ushuaia.

http://southamericajanuary2009.shutterfly.com/penguinsandotherfauna/61

http://southamericajanuary2009.shutterfly.com/portsofcall/22

Right. You'll get nice, sweeping views from the cruise ship, but you won't likely see wildlife (maybe dolphins?). I don't know if you're in port long enough to take one of the boat tours to the main penguin island. The boats dock just off the island and you do not disembark. The only tour that gets you onto the island involves a bus to near the island and then a Zodiac boat from there, but that takes longer and I'm guessing you won't have time. One friend who took the tour to see the sea lions and was disappointed since he could see sea lions at San Francisco. Not sure what he expected. There are also tours to Tierra del Fuego National Park but you'd just get a quick visit. There are also tours to a glacier, but I'd already seen much larger glaciers in Patagonia so I didn't go. You can get very good Patagonian lamb in Ushuian restaurants. King crab, too, though it's expensive.

Thanks so much for posting your web site. What wonderful pictures!!!

I had info on the Barracuda as a possible excursion to book once we got ashore. Do you remember what the cost was?

I don't remember the cost but it was a group rate--and it was cheaper than at least one of the catamatran companies. We used the CC roll call to put a group together. We met on the dock and then marched to the ticket booths and started negotiating (one of our group had lived in Chile and did the negotiating). With the group, we had some bargaining power. Barracuda was the winner. Since DH always handles the money when we travel (because he can do currency conversions in his head and I can't), I have no recollection of how much we finally settled on.

Glad you enjoyed the pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

We used the Barracuda this last January. I believe the price was $31 US at that time, but that would possibly change depending on the exchange rate. We had used a different vendor on a previous visit.

Pluses of the Barracuda - small, oldest boat doing this on the Beagle Channel. We had very few, maybe 20 persons on board and were able to move about quite freely. Due to the small size, we were able to get really up close and personal with the critters.

Minuses - not as modern, sleek and plush as the other boats. The guide was very soft spoken and did not use a mike - added nothing at all to the trip. There was also a photographer onboard who in addition to taking your pictures, also pushed a CD.

That said, I'd do the Barracuda again before one of the larger boats because we did need the narration having done it before. Instead of booking the ship tour, I'd always wait to see what the weather is that day, and then make a decision about weather to do the Channel or not because you probably don't want to do it if the weather is lousy. But which ever independent operator you use, the boat will be less crowded and the price less than the ship's tour.

And yes, the king crab in Ushuaia is excellent!!!!

We are booked on the Dec 8th HAL cruise from BA to Santiago (same one as coolcruise is going on! ) and I am starting to investigate the possibility for private guides in each of the ports.

The Falkland Islands especially intrigues me, Peregrina I noticed on your excellent pictures that you had a private guide that took you to Volunteer Point - would you recomend your guide, and if so, could I obtain some contact info from you? I can post my email address if you would rather do it by private email. I almost fell over dead on the sky train today when I read the cost of the HAL excursions. WOW! Also, was the time 'tight' on a private tour, or did you feel as though you had plenty of time?

Rebecca, would you be interested in joining forces to do the Beagle Channel Baracuda cruise that Peregrina and tjcox9 mention?

Rebecca, would you be interested in joining forces to do the Beagle Channel Baracuda cruise that Peregrina and tjcox9 mention?

Yes, I had planned, like tjcox9 said, to see what the weather was like, and then get a ticket at the pier for the Barracuda. After the Beagle trip, if it is a nice day, I had thought we might also grab a taxi to see a little of Tierra del Feugo N.P.

Archived