Cruising 87 days after hiatal hernia surgery,anyone else done it?

TnMama

I was not sure exactly where to post this question. Next week I have to have hiatal hernia surgery. It will be the 2nd one for me in 6 months. I have to be on a liquid and then semi soft diet for 8 weeks following surgery. I was still drained tired 90 days out adn some foods still bothered me here at home. Im having it done endoscopicaly {sic}, so there will be no cuts. But has anyone else been through this and did it affect your enjoyment of your cruise? I dont want to have shelled out all this money and the foods Ive been craving smell unseen for over a year, I wont be able to eat....I know we all heal differently, but maybe one of yall have sailed only being able to eat "normal" for only a few weeks before you go.

Remembering back when I had that done (98) it was endoscopic but with 5 incisions, the largest being just under an inch. The first couple days was all morphine then liquids until day 10 then it was soft foods (very soft like fish, jello, hot cereal). At about three weeks I think I could eat just about anything but was suppose to chew real good.

Anyway, we went on a 45 foot boat for a week in Puget Sound at about week 4 and the only problem I had was from jumping off the boat onto the dock ( hurt my insides).

I can't see you having any problems especially since they have fish on the menu and alot of soft foods (pastas,soups) . Just watch overeating as I had one real bad case of overeating about 4 months out and it really hurt. They also warn you about lifting over 10pounds but unless you heal real slow or are in bad shape, at 87 days you should be back to normal.

Good luck I wouldn't want to go through that again.

I was not sure exactly where to post this question. Next week I have to have hiatal hernia surgery. It will be the 2nd one for me in 6 months. I have to be on a liquid and then semi soft diet for 8 weeks following surgery. I was still drained tired 90 days out adn some foods still bothered me here at home. Im having it done endoscopicaly {sic}, so there will be no cuts. But has anyone else been through this and did it affect your enjoyment of your cruise? I dont want to have shelled out all this money and the foods Ive been craving smell unseen for over a year, I wont be able to eat....I know we all heal differently, but maybe one of yall have sailed only being able to eat "normal" for only a few weeks before you go.

I just did some reading up on it, and it sounds like the healing time is

sometimes as short as 2 weeks,. Of course, longer in others. Like someone

else mentioned, lifting might be a little problem, but..you won't be alone

if it is a problem for you.

Your Doc will tell you about the food restrictions if any, but..dang it, I would

really hope they don't tell you no WCMC.

Thanks Ya'll! I feel ya on the lifting. My Monkey is 2 and weighs right at 40lbs. But trust me,hes not fat,hes just big!:D But my Mama is coming to take care of "the fort". I'll be in the hospital a couple of days. Mom will be taking Monkey back to KY with her for about a week.

When I had my GB out the liftng and tugging was the worst. esp doing laundry. I got quite creative pushing laundry baskets down the hall,and lifting one item of wet clothes at a time. Thanks for reminding me about NOT overeating. I really binged once I started eating normal again. Thats what I think will be the hardest part. Not letting my deprived self over do it. the liquid diet is 2 weeks, plus 6 weeks of no meat ,like beef. No salad's {those bother me anyway,esp after gallbladder surgery back in sept}, and no bread. I can have rice and pasta,and fish and stuff. But when I went through all this back during the holidays, plus my Aunt dying, I couldnt eat my feelings like I always have in the past. SO it landed me on dbl my depression meds!

Yep,Scott, I began to "feel" better after 2 weeks or so. It was outwardly easier to get over than the GB surgery. But Ive had horrible throat spasms ever since. Those to me are the worst. Plus,kinda like the "Lap Band" surgery, food gets stuck and I had to literally push it down. Good thing WCMC is more like pudding.

My roomie and I dont have any excursions planned on this cruise. I'm poor,so we will just be taking in the sites. But that zip line does sound like fun!

Thanks again, I think I just needed to be told, "yes Sarah, a cruise will be fine,just be careful".

Three years ago I had a triple bypass, and I informed my surgeon that I'd be going on a cruise just shy of three weeks after the surgery. He looked at me, kind of in shock, and asked, "where is the cruise going?" I promptly told him that it didn't matter because when I cruise I seldom leave the ship. I just find a nice shady spot where I sit, listen to music on my i-pod, and watch the beautiful girls in bikinis. He smiled, and said,,,,well,,,,I guess it'd be O.K. ;) I did indeed sail. My beautiful wife did all the luggage lifting, and we had a wonderful time. (I should have had the doctor write a prescription for the cruise. I could have written it off on my taxes.) :D

"SKY"

Three years ago I had a triple bypass, and I informed my surgeon that I'd be going on a cruise just shy of three weeks after the surgery. He looked at me, kind of in shock, and asked, "where is the cruise going?" I promptly told him that it didn't matter because when I cruise I seldom leave the ship. I just find a nice shady spot where I sit, listen to music on my i-pod, and watch the beautiful girls in bikinis. He smiled, and said,,,,well,,,,I guess it'd be O.K. ;) I did indeed sail. My beautiful wife did all the luggage lifting, and we had a wonderful time. (I should have had the doctor write a prescription for the cruise. I could have written it off on my taxes.) :D

"SKY"

Thanks for the smile! Im hoping this cruise will be just what the therapist and surgeon ordered! I told mine he had to do it NOW,so that I could be able to eat on the cruise.

Teena~ Thanks!!!

Hey I understand totally on March 8th I had a Light Stroke. I don't understand the difference. But, I cruise on 5/31 I use a cane to help me walk now. My point is I don't care if they have to roll me on the ship I'm going. All of this freakin PT that I'm taking should account for something! I may not be able to wear my 4in heels but dang it I'll be the Foxiest Diva on that ship:D

not that my injuries where anywhere close to the surgery your about to have, but on my first cruise, i broke my nose 2 days before going.. 2nd cruise i broke my finger the day before.. and the 3rd i tripped DOWN a flight of steps leaving for the cruise.. got on with a severley twisted swollen if not almost broken ankle.. NOTHING will keep me off the ship :) needless to say dear BF now wraps me in bubble wrap about a week before vacations and puts a helmet on me :)

not that my injuries where anywhere close to the surgery your about to have, but on my first cruise, i broke my nose 2 days before going.. 2nd cruise i broke my finger the day before.. and the 3rd i tripped DOWN a flight of steps leaving for the cruise.. got on with a severley twisted swollen if not almost broken ankle.. NOTHING will keep me off the ship :) needless to say dear BF now wraps me in bubble wrap about a week before vacations and puts a helmet on me :)

I like that idea!!!!!!!! :D

I cruised less than 3 months after a major back surgery last year. Just gotta know your limitations and what bothers you and just take it easy.

I had my GB last year too and then went to Chicago about 2 months after and got really sick from eating too much!!!

Order what you want and can reasonably eat, have a few bites and when you know you've had enough, dump salt all over it. You will definitely not eat another bite! :D That way, you won't feel like you're depriving yourself, but you have a way to keep yourselve from over ding it. Hope your surgery is as successful and pain-free as possible. Enjoy your cruise!

PoundCake ~ OMG a stroke? Bless your heart!!! You seem in GREAT spirits! Prayers for your recovery!;)

LMAO @ MLZ! too funny. Im clumsy too.

No,Ive never sailed. The salt idea is cute! and true,IMO.

Thanks for the tips about overeatting. I did talk to my Dr. He said I should be fine,after I got "the look". Told me NOT to overeat.

Since I had this done in Oct, I KNOW what to expect now. Does not mean I wont be whinny about it or depressed. But I do have a better attitude this time. LIke IT WILL WORK. They go in through your throat and staple your hernia to the inside of your tummy. For me, 90 days out I was still having spasms and pain,and reflux. So I had a scope done to see what the issue was. The staples had come undone. The Dr.is totally baffled as to WHY and so the heck am I. I was going to wait as long as I can to have it done. as in AFTER my cruise. BUT, the company DH works for is closing its doors,and we will be moving.So since my pain is worse,my relfux is worse,and all the othe factors, DH and I decided to go on and do it again.

Thanks for telling me about your issues CCers. I just told my Memaw that to celebrate it working THIS time,Im getting on a ship and since everything is paid for,including airfare, aint nothing gonna stop me. As I tell my kids, Lil bites! and actually small frequent meals too. I see no prob with that on a ship.

I cruised less than 3 months after a major back surgery last year. Just gotta know your limitations and what bothers you and just take it easy.

I had my GB last year too and then went to Chicago about 2 months after and got really sick from eating too much!!!

I had my GB out in mid sept. I still dont do Iceberg lettuce well at all!;) But far as that issue goes, Im great there. Hate my scars though. 2 big babies {8lbs and 9lbs} and no stretch marks,but now I have these red scars! blah!

• 2 weeks later...

So I survived surgery. I had some serious post op issues though. Quite possibly undid half of what was stapled. Its not been a fun rodeo to say the least. Ive been laid up and zonked out the past few days. The 2 y/o is gone to Nana's for a bit,so I intend to rest up while I can. I could not see myself getting on a ship any time sooner than when my sail date is though,thats for sure!!! Im supposed to be able to eat pureed veggies and cottage cheese ans stuff,but right now Im good to drink a slim fast shake or one from sonic. I think from now on,Ill have a crappy attitude before hand and be gittery,so maybe post op Ill be just fine as wine.:(

this is so funny. I saw the title of the thread and thought to myself wow, I have a friend going through the exact same thing! Then I saw that it is you.

hope you are having an even better day today!!

Youre too cute!

Im actually feeling ok today! Still posted up,but I did manage to eat jello and some baby food. mmm Hawiian Delight;) Sitting here lusting after Vince Vaughn!

Youre too cute!

Im actually feeling ok today! Still posted up,but I did manage to eat jello and some baby food. mmm Hawiian Delight;) Sitting here lusting after Vince Vaughn!

I hope you heal up quickly and correctly....

follow those doctor's orders to the letter.....

and soon you will be rewarded with a cruise!!!:)

I am about 3 months post op from an abdominal hysterectomy. At the age of 55, I don't heal as quick as I used to. (especially when they went in right on top of my 2 C section incisions) We cruise May 8th....

I do joke though that since I am going through surgical menopause....if our government needs someone to go over and take care of Iran...I'm their gal!!

I can't believe I found this post on here...I've been looking all over medical sites for people who've had Hiatal Hernia repair. I have one, but waiting on endoscope for further look at what's going on. My BF is having another surgery later this month so we've put off cruise until Sept...and I've decided I don't want to have surgery anytime before!!! I know I might not be able to help it...but if possible...I want to cruise first recover later...it will depend on when they do it...I had abdominal hernia repair in Dec. 2006 open surgery, infection post-op, but by March 1st I was in SC helping to build a house and taking a 5 mile hike!!!

I can't believe I found this post on here...I've been looking all over medical sites for people who've had Hiatal Hernia repair. I have one, but waiting on endoscope for further look at what's going on. My BF is having another surgery later this month so we've put off cruise until Sept...and I've decided I don't want to have surgery anytime before!!! I know I might not be able to help it...but if possible...I want to cruise first recover later...it will depend on when they do it...I had abdominal hernia repair in Dec. 2006 open surgery, infection post-op, but by March 1st I was in SC helping to build a house and taking a 5 mile hike!!!

Hi Sarah, Im Sarah too. I went ahead and had mine done at the 90 day mark before sailing. From what my Dr said if you have it done endo or lapro way,the diet after is still the same. 2 weeks on liquids and 6-8 on semi soft. I had this done back in Oct with no complications post op. I had a couple during surgery though. THIS time however, post op, the **** hit the fan with me. :mad:I too was going to hold out till after my July cruise, but due to it "floating" up so much and the heart attack feelings, I opted to go ahead and do it. Ive had some sort of infection this time, b/c Ive been running fever. Its not been fun to say the least. Im still hyped up on pain meds, and phenegran and stuff like that.My main plan for my cruise was to binge eat. but that wont be the case. lil bites! I hope Im healed up by the time we sail. And I truly wish you the best in your surgery.and I hope BF's goes ok too. I go back on Tuesday,I think, to see my Dr so maybe we can figure out just what happend this time.:mad:

And thanks LHP, I AM following those orders. Its all liquids for another ten days or so! and YES, a cruise is JUST what I will need after all this BS

Archived