P&O St Petersburg shore excursion problem?

niftyfifty14

Hi all, total newcomer at this so please excuse if this has been approached before!:rolleyes: We have just booked P&O Azura Baltics 26/5/10 cruise and we are looking into booking shore excursions. I have read that a lot of people use outside based travel agents for their St Petersburg trips and have been recommended someone like Denrus. We have looked at their website and are quite excited at what they have to offer compared to the P&O trips. However I have also read that P&O will not let its passengers use this Company, you either have to use their own trips or get your own Visa to do your own thing? Anyone know if this is correct please?:eek:

Hi all, total newcomer at this so please excuse if this has been approached before!:rolleyes: We have just booked P&O Azura Baltics 26/5/10 cruise and we are looking into booking shore excursions. I have read that a lot of people use outside based travel agents for their St Petersburg trips and have been recommended someone like Denrus. We have looked at their website and are quite excited at what they have to offer compared to the P&O trips. However I have also read that P&O will not let its passengers use this Company, you either have to use their own trips or get your own Visa to do your own thing? Anyone know if this is correct please?:eek:

Hi Nifty

That's not quite correct. I'm in work at the moment but will do a full post for you tonight explaining your options.

Our Baltic cruise was with RCI but the same 'rules of the game' apply.

Debbie:)

You are able to use a number of recognised tour operators at St Petersburg and have temporary stamps in your visa. Denrus, Red October, Anastasia. Alla tours It means though you have to stay in your group and are not allowed off by yourself

P&O can not stop you getting off the boat - it is not a prison, it is Russian authorities who can stop you getting in! When we were there last year we stood our ground and said we wer getting off no one challenged us

P&O can not stop you getting off the boat - it is not a prison, it is Russian authorities who can stop you getting in! When we were there last year we stood our ground and said we wer getting off no one challenged us

That's precisely our thought process.... we will be in St. P. in July and have booked with Alla... We're prepared for any hassle - but I don't really expect it... Hope I'm not being naiive!

That's precisely our thought process.... we will be in St. P. in July and have booked with Alla... We're prepared for any hassle - but I don't really expect it... Hope I'm not being naiive!

Also meant to say that all you need for Russian immigration is;

- A 'Tour Ticket' which you will get from your chosen tour company...

- A copy of the picture page of your passport for immigration...

- Obviously your original passport (which you keep - but need to show immigration)...

Provided you're not 'undesired' :rolleyes: Immigration will then give you a 'Visa Waiver' form/stamp for entry...

You don't need to acquire a full Russian Tourist Visa unless you plan on 'doing your own thing'... The 'Visa Waiver' allows you to stay with your own tour group; but not wander off (well not too far anyway) on your own. :)

FWIW - Our chosen tour company - Alla - have been very helpful and answered all of our questions and concerns promptly and effciciently...

Hi,

We were in St Peteersburg last August with MSC & hooked up with a lovely family from the states, (hi Stephen Diana Cari & Estelle), on a private tour with a guide called Masha - I can find the company for you when I get home - but if you google Masha in St Petersburg you will find her. A lovely lady, fantastic guide & we did NOT need visas. Its just a ruse by the companies to get you to book their trips.

I cannot recommend Masha highly enough - drop her an e-mail & she will sort it for you.

Hope this helps & it all goes well for you - we had a superb time

Hi Niftyfifty

My husband Steve and I are also firt-time cruisers and on this cruise. We are planning to do a two day tour with Alla Tours. The Company is one of the main Private Tour Companies in St.Petersberg and has a lot of experienced guides. It is much cheaper than the ship organised tours as there is no mark up fee and they can co-ordinate the whole schedule. If you go to Alla Tours website and register you will find a heading on your personal account page called Useful Information and this will tell you all you need to know about the VISA they organise for you and about leaving the ship to join the tour etc. Also detailed info on all the sights to see. We are going to book the Comfort Tour with an added boat trip and Folklore show in the evening. It would seem to be advantageous to get early entry to The Hermitage which this tour has and Alla are more than happy to tailor the tours to suit you. Have fun reading through it all, it will whet your appetite for the visit!

If you book your tour through DenRus, Red October, or Alla Tours, you do not need to get your own visa. Not sure about other companies. However, that is what the cruise line will hint. In reality, the tour company gets the visa, but you are required to stay with the guide.

For anyone who wants to get off the ship and do their own sightseeing with local transporation, they will need a visa. Apparently, some advise against this in Russia.

Hope this helps.

I booked with Anastasiaworld.com, in summer 2008, for myself and elderly mother and they were great . We had our own Mercedes people carrier plus guide and driver and even went on the underground! You do not need a visa when on a tour and off a cruise ship for up to 72 hours. They were on the dock side waiting for Arcadia staff were a little hesitant letting us off the ship. It was really ideal, we bypassed ques and the driver met us at quiet exits. We paid on the final day no deposit was asked for , the only downside the price, I tried to join with others a 4 or 6 group would have been really economical .

Hello,

We are on Azura for the may26 Baltic as well. After browsing on the Internet. There were some recommadations for Alle Tours. Registered for the 2 days Strenuous tour. Sound more comprehensive than the P&Os programme. But need more people to join to keep the price down. If we can get 7 people, It will cost $300+10% tips. 10 people for $270 or 13 people for $250. Lunches not included. Please go to Alla-tour.com to study their programmes. They are very helpful to answer any of your enquiries. We we tour with them, we will not require a separate visa for Russia for the duration of the tours.

Goodluck and hope more will join us.

My husband and I are also on Azura on 26/05/10 for the Baltic cruise. We have booked the "St. Petersburg Complete 2 day Package" with Alla Tours. I have been in contact with others on this cruise who have decided to do the "Comfort Tour" with Alla Tours + the Boat Trip + an Evening Show. A cousin did this trip 2 years ago and said it was fantastic. Open a "Personal Account" on Alla Tours site and you can find out all about their tours and ask as many questions as you like and replies with Katya are quick. No Visa required, only Passport/Tour Ticket/new Immigration Form provided by ship admin/Copy of Passport also. Pay them on the first day of tour. Alla have good reviews and beware not to wear yourself out searching and searching for the right tour. I was heading that way. Keep it simple and stress free.

Hello,

We are on Azura for the may26 Baltic as well. After browsing on the Internet. There were some recommadations for Alle Tours. Registered for the 2 days Strenuous tour. Sound more comprehensive than the P&Os programme. But need more people to join to keep the price down. If we can get 7 people, It will cost $300+10% tips. 10 people for $270 or 13 people for $250. Lunches not included. Please go to Alla-tour.com to study their programmes. They are very helpful to answer any of your enquiries. We we tour with them, we will not require a separate visa for Russia for the duration of the tours.

Goodluck and hope more will join us.

My husband and I are also on Azura on 26/05/10 for the Baltic cruise. We have booked the "St. Petersburg Complete 2 day Package" with Alla Tours. I have been in contact with others on this cruise who have decided to do the "Comfort Tour" with Alla Tours + the Boat Trip + an Evening Show. A cousin did this trip 2 years ago and said it was fantastic. Open a "Personal Account" on Alla Tours site and you can find out all about their tours and ask as many questions as you like and replies with Katya are quick. No Visa required, only Passport/Tour Ticket/new Immigration Form provided by ship admin/Copy of Passport also. Pay them on the first day of tour. Alla have good reviews and beware not to wear yourself out searching and searching for the right tour. I was heading that way. Keep it simple and stress free.

We were in St. Petersburg last year, and I wanted to book with a private tour, but wife was worried about us being left behind in Russia, so stumped the cash to P&O.

First day to St. Petersburg was disappointing, and not because of the weather, we expected that. The guide was a bit, erm, skittish, and not really in tune with her guests, eventually losing about 8 of them on the walk back to the coach!!

Second day on the trip to Peterhof, guide we had was fantastic, informative, streetwise, everything you would expect.

I do wish however we were able to go on a private tour, I think you would get more freedom, instead of being herded around due to the Visa restrictions.

If you book with Anastasia, etc, then visas not required as they are registered tour guides. As for Denrus, are they now supplying tours to P&O?

If you do want to book privately, I would personally do the big tour of St. Petersburg on the first day, then do a smaller one on the second. That way, if you are held up on the way back from the city on the big tour, (be warned, traffic is a nightmare!) then you don't have to fret about getting back onboard.

The second day trip to somewhere like Peterhof is heading away from the city and traffic is lighter, so less likely to cause stress.

Scrozuk

Archived