Tipping in Cancun

Spurs Fans

While Mexican pesos are always accepted throughout the entire country, U.S. dollars are widely recognized as well, especially in Cancun. You generosity will be equally appreciated regardless of the currency used.

The more difficult question is the quantity of the gratuity. Generally, tipping is Mexico is at a lower rate than in the United States (e.g., the standard tip in a restaurant is 10 percent in Mexico compared to 15 to 20 percent in the United States). Mexicans in resort areas may expect to receive U.S.-style tips from U.S. visitors, but should U.S. visitors really be expected to tip at U.S. rates while in a foreign country with distinct customs?

either.

Our resort requests that we tip housekeeping at the end of the week ... we usually leave a combination of USD and Pesos ... pretty much the left over pesos in my wallet, and the USD makes up the difference to the amount I want to leave at the end of the week.

I've yet to meet a service industry worker in Cancun that grumbled about what currency their tips are in. You will see that every one goes out of their way to make your trip enjoyable.

• 10 months later...
either.

Our resort requests that we tip housekeeping at the end of the week ... we usually leave a combination of USD and Pesos ... pretty much the left over pesos in my wallet, and the USD makes up the difference to the amount I want to leave at the end of the week.

We always tip daily. Sometimes the same housekeeping will not work the entire week we are there, this way whoever cleans our room for that day gets the tip.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I say tip in peso. Then the person you are tipping doesn't need to be concerned about converting your US$$ to peso. There are also certain regulations on converting US$$ to pesos in Mexico, so make it easier on them and tip in peso.

I know this is an old thread but,

Just DON'T tip with the crazy $2 bill. Some people think it's "unique" or "cute" but they won't cash them at most banks in Mexico since it's not one of our usual currency.

Not true. while it's been widely circulated that workers in Cancun, or Mexico in general I guess, like getting a $2 bill because it's lucky - I can't say whether that's true or not, but I know many who have had absolutely no issue exchanging the $2 at a bank, hotel or exchange kiosk.

They just run it under a little gadget that validates it's not counterfeit (this us done with ALL bills), and then go about the transaction.

On my most recent visit, at a little painting pottery stand the guy who helps you had a tip box, in it he had a $2. He just shrugged and said it all spends.

Pesos, USD, a combination if the two - it really doesn't matter what you tip in. Just make sure you've done the math correctly with the exchange rate to give the amount or percentage you think you are giving the person.

I say tip in peso. Then the person you are tipping doesn't need to be concerned about converting your US$$ to peso. There are also certain regulations on converting US$$ to pesos in Mexico, so make it easier on them and tip in peso.

I agree.Tip in pesos.

Anyone or any business in Mexico accepts US dollars only as a convenience for you the tourist. (vs. some countries like Brazil where it is illegal to do any transaction in other than the local currency)

The exchange when spending dollars "on the street" is usually a factor of 10, i.e. U$10=100 pesos, maybe for convenience of the math.

The bank ATM withdrawal rate might be 125 pesos.

This might not make a difference to you, but the difference in value in pesos might make a difference to the Mexican worker.

• 1 year later...