It's Official John Heald is ignoring the West Coast again.

Chacooe

I am curious, is it can not fly, or will not fly ?

There is always Amtrack at greater expense and time than flying.

Tom in Long Beach (Who wishes they would move the Caribbean to the West Coast because I tire of Enenada, Catalina, Cabo, Mazatlan and Peurto Vallarta.)

P.S.

I have been on two cruises with him. While he is funny, I do not get the mass following. One was a travel trade on the Splendor and the other was 2 day from N.Y. on the Dream.

I can't fly due to medical reasons. I use to fly all the time and loved it. If I could fly, I would in a heartbeat, but I can't now.

Well it is the same for the people who have to fly to the East Coast, so what is the difference.

It's the three-hour time difference flying East. When you dock on Sunday morning in California, you can't really book a flight out of LAX until early afternoon, which is late afternoon Eastern time. If you have to change planes, you may not be able to get back to your home airport that same evening. We'd be a lot safer waiting until Monday morning to fly home, but that means taking another vacation day and a missed school day for the kids. End result: for now at least, we've decided to skip California cruises.

John is not snubbing anyone...the bottom line is economics.

He isn't "catering" to "a few bloggers".... Carnival is going to select a ship that will have the best chance of having the most bloggers.

It isn't Carnival's fault that the West coast could not fill a Blogger's cruise...

Don't feel bad, New York could not fill a Blogger's cruise either....(less than 30 signed up last year and it was cancelled)...

Don't blame John when the fact is...the West coast can't produce....

John is not snubbing anyone...the bottom line is economics.

He isn't "catering" to "a few bloggers".... Carnival is going to select a ship that will have the best chance of having the most bloggers.

It isn't Carnival's fault that the West coast could not fill a Blogger's cruise...

Don't feel bad, New York could not fill a Blogger's cruise either....(less than 30 signed up last year and it was cancelled)...

Don't blame John when the fact is...the West coast can't produce....

What does that tell you?

Too bad there's no port in West Virginia.

What does that tell you?

Too bad there's no port in West Virginia.

It tells me that most Carnival cruisers (based on our Platinum list) are from the South.....it would be silly for Carnival to set a Blogger's cruise for just a few people.....

Well it is the same for the people who have to fly to the East Coast, so what is the difference.

The difference is common sense....more people with less driving or flying required....more attendance....

I dont get the fascination with this John guy either....:confused:

To be perfectly honest...it isn't so much about "John"..... there is a very large group of Bloggers (most of whom don't post on Cruise Critic) that cruise with EACH OTHER..... and the Blogger's cruise is like a group cruise to see them...not just John. (He is just the excuse we use....LOL)

Can someone please explain to me who is this Herald fella..."splain it to me Lucy"

John Heald is the Senior Cruise Director for Carnival that writes a Blog during the week.

He started 3 years ago with the idea that he would write a Blog "a day in the life of a Cruise Director".

Carnival figured it would get 25,000 hits .... be around for a year and that would be that.

Three years and 6 MILLION hits later....he is still going strong.

The Blogger's cruise gives Carnival cruisers that post on his Blog the opportunity to do a group cruise and see each other once a year....

Here is his link"

http://johnhealdsblog.com/

John is from England....so his humor is a little off beat. And while he isn't for everyone....I think the 6 MILLION hits speaks for itself.

Carnival has what, 4 ships (soon to be 3) on the west coast out of a fleet of 23? I doubt he's purposely "ignoring" you. It's simple mathematics.

And the Spirit is only there half the year...... so full time is only 2.

Can someone explain what the blogger's cruise is anyways?

I mean, are there *really* that many people who blog about cruising on Carnival that it warrants a dedicated cruise for them? I mean honestly it doesn't take much to consider yourself a blogger, nor does it say anything about the quality of what you write, the frequency, or your exposure/readership following.

Also not to burst your bubble, but 6 million hits over 3 years isn't earth shattering. That works out to be be about 6,000 people if you consider them all to be daily readers.

Not really. I almost feel bad, but ultimately don't because I stopped short of making fun of his kid's musical tastes. In fact, I feel pretty danged good for showing some restraint.

So.....another way of putting that is you thought you might feel bad about feeling bad so you don't feel bad anymore:confused:

Archived