Visas for Vietnam & Cambodia

cookie at home

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME :confused::confused: I will be on the SUN PRINCES 2I DAYS departs Fremantle Western Australia 31/05/2010 returning to Fremantle 21/06/2010 .

I am a British passport holder { permanent resident with valid re entry visa to Australia } I have contacted our online booking agency today re the visas ..i did also contact them as well as Princess customer service months ago and was told the info would be realised 75 days prior to departure ...

Basically to cut a long story short { i have posted re this also on the P&O forum ... the long version !! .... if you could switch over for a read you will get my point }.... I am led to beleive only Aussie & NZ passport holders will have their visas arranged by the ship & for those passengers travelling on anything other than Australian or NZ passports will need to arrange their own visas ..i rang the visalink who suggested i contact the cruiseline

Princess customer service leaves a lot to be desired :( the guy i spoke to had no idea !!:mad:

Are there any Brits who can add to my query ?????? does the ship arrange or NOT

Thank you ..i am sure i will get more advice from fellow cruisers :):)

HAL obtained out Vietnam visas for us last October, sorry, can't remember how much they charged us but it saved us the hassle.

You may be able to obtain your Cambodia visa on entry. I did but I flew in so just needed 2 photos.

May be a good idea to ask on one of the land-based forums as some people (mainly backpackers) arrive in Cambodia via smaller boats from Thai islands. Umm, I could be mistaken but I have a feeling that it can be done on-line. I'll have a look and get back to you if it's possible.

HAL obtained out Vietnam visas for us last October, sorry, can't remember how much they charged us but it saved us the hassle.

You may be able to obtain your Cambodia visa on entry. I did but I flew in so just needed 2 photos.

May be a good idea to ask on one of the land-based forums as some people (mainly backpackers) arrive in Cambodia via smaller boats from Thai islands. Umm, I could be mistaken but I have a feeling that it can be done on-line. I'll have a look and get back to you if it's possible.

Thanks i have looked online it is far cheaper but you pick up at the airport ..can't seem to get any info re cruiseships ..have now received further info from Princess ..they are now saying for Aus & NZ passengers that they do not need to arrange visas in advance they will be issued upon the ships arrival & charged to onboard account & further states All non Aus & NZ must contact relevant consulate or embassy to confirm their individual visa requirements ...so now i have officially had a decent response :rolleyes: i had better get onto it i guess ..thanks for the reply

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone flown out of HMC to Siem Riep? Wondering about flights and costs to get to Ankor Wat and then to Bangkok?

Sandy

A number of cruise ships offer such side trips as a ship's excursion, including flight to Siem Reap/Ankor Wat, overnite hotel, onward flight to another place such as Bangkok to catch up with the ship.

But they charge an arm & a leg. Local flights are very sensibly-priced and Cambodia is cheap so hotels likely to be also. But you are likely to get less time at your departure port (eg HCMC) or your arrival port (eg Bangkok) or both.

It's worth seriously questioning whether such a side trip (via ship's arrangements or independently) is worthwhile - you miss a chunk of what you've already paid for, & despite paying a big chunk more you still can't do justice to Ankor Wat in the time-scale. Most folk don't consider the place worth the big sacrifices, those who are keen tend to put Ankor Wat on the back burner for a more in-depth visit another time on a land tour.

If you're still interested, it's worth checking whether your ship offers that excursion and whether the catch-up port (in your case, Bangkok) is a turnaround port - if either applies then the nightmare scenario of the ship's itinerary being changed last-minute to miss out that catch-up port is very very unlikely. Though to be fair, although there might be a late switch from one Bangkok port to another, it is a very reliable call anyway.

Also worth double-checking whether playing catch-up is permitted by the cruiseline & the countries (since it's been done, I guess it is).

I'm 99% certain that the standard single/multi visit Vietnam visas, usually arranged by the ship for all pax ( and Cambodia visas? can't remember) are only good for entering/leaving with the ship & that you'll need the next level of visa.

Suggest you organise a strong coffee & a jar of headache pills before digging deeper :D

John Bull

Anyone flown out of HMC to Siem Riep? Wondering about flights and costs to get to Ankor Wat and then to Bangkok?

Sandy

I recall someone discussing this option on one of the Azamara Quest roll calls from this year.

We decided to see Angkor pre-cruise from Singapore. We spent three nights in Siem Reap and wish that we had done one more to allow for a more relaxed pace. The air tickets from Singapore were only about $125 roundtrip during a SilkAir sale. We left most of our luggage at the hotel in Singapore so that we could travel light. The trip was very easy to arrange. Angkor was one of the highlights of our trip and well worth the extra time and relatively small expense.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks John Bull

Our itinerary is such that i would miss seeing HMC and a sea day, but gain Angkor Wat and a night and full day in Bangkok. Seems a fair trade. I know the Visa will be different and I am asking for a headache- but it is on my bucket list, which is very long, and I may not be back for a while...

Sandy

Thanks John Bull

Our itinerary is such that i would miss seeing HMC and a sea day, but gain Angkor Wat and a night and full day in Bangkok. Seems a fair trade. I know the Visa will be different and I am asking for a headache- but it is on my bucket list, which is very long, and I may not be back for a while...

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Shame to miss Saigon (no pun intended :rolleyes:) but each to their own. And cruise ships never spend long enough in the major ports, so you will certainly get full value out of your extra day in Bangkok.

If you're not templed-out by then, consider a day-trip from Bangkok to Ayuttaya by http://www.thairivercruise.com/s0104/index.php?pgid=0167 or a couple of others offering a similar trip. Coach from Bangkok to the summer palace at Bang Pa In, then stops in Ayutthaya the former capital, then cruise down the river to Bangkok. We did this trip - because of our ship's itinerary we couldn't take the coach from Bangkok (pretty boring drive anyway) instead we taxi'd direct from the port at Laem Chabang to the Summer Palace & met the coach there, then overnited in Bangkok. Good day out, good value.

BTW, I don't think Princess port in Saigon, its likely to be at the mouth of the Saigon River, 2hrs+ drive to Saigon from Vung Tau or 1 1/2 from Phu My. So Princess' stop is nowhere near as good as it sounds - but remember you'll have the same sort of transfer time to the airport.

Have a great time

JB

Sandy

Air fare-about $400pp Bookable on the Vietnam Airlines website.

You MAY be able to save a few dollars booking Vietnam Airlines/Cambodia Angkor Air (newest Cambodian airline-51% owned by the Cambodian government and 49% owned by Vietnam Airlines) as a one way from SGN to REP, then using Bangkok Air from REP to BKK. Cambodia Angkor Air is the ONLY nonstop from SGN to REP. All other flights stop in Phnom Penh or route through Bangkok. There is a 3:30PM flight which will allow you enough time to get off the ship, see a little of Saigon. The 11AM flight is really cutting it close. And pay attention to what type of plane you are flying. MOST of the flights are on an Airbus 320 from SGN to REP. BUT there are some old turbo props that are being use. I don't mind-I will fly in anything. But some do.

IF you fly into REP, you can get visa on arrival at the airport (make sure you have 2 passport sized pictures). ALL decent hotels in Siem Reap will send a car for you.

PLEASE do NOT try to do the Cambodian visa online. There have been many, many instances of the visa's NOT being validated properly. You get to the Cambodian border and back to Vietnam you go OR purchase a new visa.

I have spent a lot of time in the area-Vietnam for business and almost 3 years buying and renovating a hotel in Phnom Penh. My help is freely offered if I can answer any questions.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your reply and help Greatam- sorry for the long delay in replying. Still considering this as an option- though all in all may be easiest just to tack on three days at the end of the cruise and fly in and out of Singapore- but would love the xtra time in Bangkok.

Sandy

Archived