Which one...for fall colors etc...14 day...two choices

Kelownabccan

All all.....starting to plan a East Coast cruise.....going to do the Norwgian Spirit....14 days...Boston to Boston but there are two time frames.....can not seem to make my mind up which one and need some help.....Option one....Sept. 25th to Oct 9th....or Oct 9th to Oct. 23rd.....Boston/to Quebec City with lots of stops inbetween.....Thanks, Ken

Since no one has answered this, here is my 2¢, FWIW.

For the first cruise, starting 9/25, I think you will be too early for peak color in your New England ports-of-call. There will be color. For any Canadian ports-of-call, I think you will have better color.

For the second cruise, starting 10/9, you may have peak colors in the New England portion of the cruise but past peak in the Canadian portion.

Foliage changes from north to south, inland to coastal.

For my New England estimates for foliage, I used the interactive foliage map provided by Yankee Magazine: http://www.yankeefoliage.com/peakmap/

If I were doing this cruise, I think I would go on the cruise starting 9/25

SBtS

Talking to friends who were out in Atlantic Canada. last year....they thought if we did the later ones the colors would be almost over.....so prob doing the Sept. 25....and fly into Boston 3 days ahead to tour and take in a baseball game....lol....oooooos in the title should be Sept 25th.....Ken

Stupid question.... Can you actually see the fall colors from the ship? I would imagine the ship does not sail close enough to shore. Can you see the fall colors at the ports, or do you need to take an excursion inland? :confused:

Since most of the passages between ports-of-call are done at night and well off shore, the only chances to see foliage from the cruise ship is when it is approaching or departing a port-of-call during daylight hours; and of course, while the cruise ship is docked or anchored. For most ports, an excursion would be necessary to see the most foliage.

SBtS

Most of the time between ports we were way offshore. During the day you could sometimes see the outline of shore and at night we could often see lights (some ships and some on shore) but we were wayyyyyy out there!

• 1 month later...

We did the Boston to Quebec leg on the Spirit last year. We left Boston on Oct. 9 where peak color hadn't arrived yet. When we got to Quebec, it was past peak color. So my guess would be thhe Sept date, but this year may be different timing. It varies from year to year. You do need to do excursions that take you inland to see good color.

We loved the Spirit. She is a beautiful ship and we got very good service.

Archived