Do you have family or friends that just don't get it? (this cruising obsession)

DMH15

DH and I were 'those people' who never cruised but said we would not like it. I don't remember why we decided to try it. We loved our first cruise in 1999 (I think) and have cruised 9 or 10 times since (most of them in the last 3 years). I'm absolutely hooked. DH has a great time and will cruise sometimes, but he can leave it too. He also likes other vacations.

Up until 4 years ago, my sister said she will never fly. Once she flew to see me in Florida, she was over the issues of flying. Last year, I asked her if she would try a cruise. To my surprise, she said yes. She was hooked and she and I are going on another cruise this fall.

I read a thread that only 17 % of the population has ever cruised?

Also,Only 15 % of people have a hottub in there home.

So,When I am on a cruise,in the hottub,I really FEEL for the other 83%.:D

However,my dream is to be in a GV in the hottub,Ahhh one has to keep the dream alive,lol.

I was one of those who made every excuse NOT to cruise,Taking Land/Air based Vacations 2,3 times a year.:mad:

I guess I got tired of driving,Switching rooms,Looking for a place to eat,ect.

Now I have an addiction,My friends say obsession,Ohh well better to be in the minority,Heck I'm part of the 17 % who just adore it.

Isn't it funny? When you go on a cruise you see people who have NEVER cruised and they are soaking in all the newness of it... some will love it and some will hate it. IMHO very few are indifferent to it.

Then there are those who have been on cruises before and have returned because they do love it. You can spot them in a minute.

You can sometimes tell the newbies, some with the "deer in headlights" look in their eyes and others with that look of a kid on Christmas, taking in all of the wonderful new things they have discovered.

I find the ones that say " We've cruised and dont like it " 9 times out of 10 went on a 2 - 5 day cruise .

If I were to base my affinity for cruising based on the two short cruises I've taken I may have felt the same ..

As many of you know the shorty's can be a mad house and draw some interesting people.:eek:.

I always tell someone considering a cruise for the first time , go 7 days ( at least) ;) apples and oranges

that is interesting, our older daughter travels all over the world as well. In fact in the next few months she will probably have business on every continent except Artartica and yet, she would rather cruise than take any other type of vacation. I think that is because of all her land travel.

Nita

My brother often plans time for his wife to join him before or after a lot of his business trips. One would think he'd want a change, but they went on two cruises and it simply wasn't their cup of tea. Heck, now that I think of it, they haven't even been back to the Caribbean since their honeymoon.

Even though they'll admit a cruise is a very affordable package deal, I think it simply boils down to them not being crazy about the sea! :)

I know from bitter experience what you mean. My husband and I were bit by the cruise bug about 3 years ago. I never thought I would like it but it is the best way to get around without the hassle. As a first wedding anniversary and 30th birthday gift, we took our daughter and son-in-law on a cruise to Dover, Bruges, Copenhagen etc. (my daughter always wanted to see Scandinavia so I thought it was a wonderful gift). It was a bit of a stretch financially to take them on the cruise but I thought it would be such a memorable experience. Unfortunately they hated it and rather out of character for our daughter, they let us know that they hated it. It has been a real disappointment for me because it obviously created bad memories not good.

I know from bitter experience what you mean. My husband and I were bit by the cruise bug about 3 years ago. I never thought I would like it but it is the best way to get around without the hassle. As a first wedding anniversary and 30th birthday gift, we took our daughter and son-in-law on a cruise to Dover, Bruges, Copenhagen etc. (my daughter always wanted to see Scandinavia so I thought it was a wonderful gift). It was a bit of a stretch financially to take them on the cruise but I thought it would be such a memorable experience. Unfortunately they hated it and rather out of character for our daughter, they let us know that they hated it. It has been a real disappointment for me because it obviously created bad memories not good.

Oh how awful!!! Especially when you have put all that money into it and the excitement of introducing someone you love to a new experience....... So sorry you went through that!! :(

Unfortunately they hated it and rather out of character for our daughter, they let us know that they hated it. It has been a real disappointment for me because it obviously created bad memories not good.

How disappointing that must have been for you!

We had a similar experience when we brought our sons along for the very 1st time. Our oldest hated cruising too and so much as stated he wanted off the ship on our very 1st sea day. :( Fortunately he managed to get through it once we gave them the go ahead to roam about the ship on their own, but he only got off the ship for one port (Port Canaveral) and you should see this dinner picture we have of the 4 of us. What a puss on his face!

Originally Posted by stubbornoldowl viewpost.gif

Unfortunately they hated it and rather out of character for our daughter, they let us know that they hated it. It has been a real disappointment for me because it obviously created bad memories not good.

I am so sorry to hear that. I hope that does not happen to us. We are taking my son and daughter-in-law on the Epic in January. First cruise for them. I chose that ship because it is brand new and has great entertainment. I hope they enjoy it because I want it to be a good memory as a family. They are newlyweds and were married last May. But you can't force people to like cruising. I am bringing meds for sea sickness for them just in case and keeping my fingers crossed it will be a wonderful trip. Again i so sympathize with your disappointment.

Different strokes for different folks.

Not everyone will like teh same things. I know people who LOVE skiing.

I have no use for cold and snow so flying down a mountain freezeing my butt off is pretty much my idea of hell *LOL*

Hey God bless them, let them enjoy their thing. i will be on a nice deck chair in the caribbean havinga drink enjoying mine :)

I'm with you! I would break my neck on skiis. But let snorkel any day:D

Took my first cruise in 1987 on NCL as my senior trip and fell in love. I've tried many lines and have enjoyed every single cruise (even the one where I broke up with the bf while on the cruise)!

My brother went on a Baltic cruise for his honeymoon and while they enjoyed it that will be his only cruise. His idea of a vacation is not sitting poolside and relaxing, he likes to go, go, go and a day at sea is not his thing and the activities on the ship do not interest him.

I'd rather be on a ship with people that are enjoying themselves. There is nothing worse than hearing fellow cruisers complain! How can a cruise be bad when you don't have to cook or clean and you get waited on hand and foot. :)

Archived