double vs triple pricing question??

tdeyette

Our group got together yesterday to start planning for our 2011 cruise. It looks like we’ll be doing the 10 day Eastern Caribbean on Emerald Feb 2011. We did the 10 day Southern on Emerald in 2009 and loved it (it was our first cruise)

Looks like it’s 7 of us so far planning to go and thus my question. My wife’s cousin (her first cruise) would like to go, but as a single cruiser, I understand it will be more expensive for her.

Is there a significant cost savings if one of us booked a triple and shared a room with her?

Is there typically enough room for 3 adults sharing a room?

How much more does a single typically pay for a room when booking solo?

If she were to bunk in with one of our group, could she set up her own spending account or does the spending account apply room per room?

As a side note, typically our group tends to book inside cabins preferring to spend money on the shore excursions and other fun stuff.

Thanks in advance

Our group got together yesterday to start planning for our 2011 cruise. It looks like we’ll be doing the 10 day Eastern Caribbean on Emerald Feb 2011. We did the 10 day Southern on Emerald in 2009 and loved it (it was our first cruise)

Looks like it’s 7 of us so far planning to go and thus my question. My wife’s cousin (her first cruise) would like to go, but as a single cruiser, I understand it will be more expensive for her.

Is there a significant cost savings if one of us booked a triple and shared a room with her? Yes

Is there typically enough room for 3 adults sharing a room? That all depends on the type of accomodation you book. In a mini, plenty of actual space, but in lower category staterooms, you are talking about an upper bunk for sleeping with a third adult in the cabin. And keep in mind, with only one small bathroom and no real privacy for changing, it can be a bit touch and go for some.

How much more does a single typically pay for a room when booking solo? Normally 150-200% of the rate for one passenger booking a stateroom by themselves.

If she were to bunk in with one of our group, could she set up her own spending account or does the spending account apply room per room?Yes, she could place her own credit card for her account only. Each passenger in a stateroom has their own account, and the credit card you give is where that would be charged to. Two passengers or more can use the same credit card, or have their accounts listed to a different card. Even when using the same card for two passengers, you will receive seperate billing statements. No problem at all there.

As a side note, typically our group tends to book inside cabins preferring to spend money on the shore excursions and other fun stuff.

Thanks in advance

See above.

If you typically book inside cabins and that's what you are thinking for on your upcoming cruise, it will be really tight with a 3rd person. I love Princess ships. I've not stayed in an inside but my sister and friend did so I got to see their cabin. It feels pretty closed in in there with no windows and I wasn't wild about the configuration of the inside rooms.

If she wants to travel solo on Princess most cabins will be at 200%. I know the outside, balcony, mini, and suites are at 200%. There might be some inside cabins on a lower deck that she could get for less. Try looking on Princess' website. You can do a booking and just not finish it to see total price for a selected cabin.

Your pricing questions have already been answered, so I will throw out this suggestion: if you do decide on an inside cabin...and find that one bathroom would make changing/washing difficult but have no other choice but to get an inside cabin because of financial reasons....one of you could take turns using the shower area in the Spa-Gym area. That way giving others more privacy to use the cabin bathroom. I have heard many pax doing this when they have extra family members sharing one inside cabin. It works pretty well for some folks who do not mind going and using the showers in the Spa/Gym area.

Just a thought...

Wow.... up to 200% booking rate for a single. I knew it would be more expensive but I didn't know it could be up to 200%

Good to know so there are no surprises. I think the best option is if she can find a friend to go along with her.

When we go to our TA we’ll also look at our options.

Having to use the locker room Gym for a shower sounds like my early collage days (but that’s another story)

Hopefully, there is no misunderstanding about what people mean by 150% or 200% of the usual fare. 150% of the usual fare means that you would pay an additional 50% of the per person fare as extra fee for occupying a cabin by yourself. 200% means that you would pay an extra full per person fare, ie., you fare would be twice the usual per person fee that one person would pay if the cabin were occupied by two people.

Bill

Archived