Thomson Passengers are the Best!

Having posted a couple of questions on RCL and NCL boards and on another forum, can I just say how much friendlier the people are here on the Thomson board!

I had some questions regarding gratuities, as having only cruised with Thomson before I wasn't really sure how it worked - I felt that some of the replies were a bit snotty and not really answering my questions! :mad:

I just wanted to say what a friendly bunch you are compared to passengers of other cruise lines! :D

I quite agree:) Just looked at NCL board re gratutities and they were all for them, whereas I think they are taking liberties and refuse to pay them upfront and tip as and when I feel it is deserved. I noticed the Americans were all in favour, but I think that is part of their culture. I think they should follow Thomson and include gratuities in the price and stop trying to con us into thinking the price is cheaper than it is. :(

Linda

I agree. I was on a long NCL cruise (23 days) and was charged $24 a day, this worked out at $552. You also got charged extra for a tip when you bought a drink. On top of this I gave the room boy and certain staff another tip. The food was plain to say the least compaired to Thomson but I read NCL boards and most of them rave about it. I put a comment in about the excessive tipping and got petty comments like go with another cruise line and stuff like that, you dont get that with Thomson people. I am looking forward to my cruise in July.

Billy.

I agree. I was on a long NCL cruise (23 days) and was charged $24 a day, this worked out at $552. You also got charged extra for a tip when you bought a drink. On top of this I gave the room boy and certain staff another tip. The food was plain to say the least compaired to Thomson but I read NCL boards and most of them rave about it. I put a comment in about the excessive tipping and got petty comments like go with another cruise line and stuff like that, you dont get that with Thomson people. I am looking forward to my cruise in July.

Billy.

We too have travelled with NCL, Billy, and I agree that the experience didn't compare favourably with Thomson for us. Yes, the ship was new - there were things about the ship which did impress us - there was a lovely theatre, spacious and better pool deck and the walk-in showers were infinitely better than the tired showers on Thomson ships.

The glitzy (actually garish decor), the impressive atrium (although it had a very impersonal feel) may have superficially looked 'better' but it didn't take us long to realise that we didn't feel 'at home' on NCL - and we could never say that of Thomson. We just felt the ship had no soul.

Their showteam was in a different league compared with Thomson (very poor quality and quantity with no staging, little in the way of costumes or slick choreography). More than half of the dining rooms charged extra and the self-service had no waiter assistance - only someone with a trolley occasionally emptying the tables. It was a free for all!! Food was ok but service wasn't. Prices for drinks and excursions were very high and there was a constant 'push' on selling you Bingo tickets. And then there were the Art auctions! Hygiene and cleaning ranked much higher on Thomson and as for the staff - well Thomson's win - by a mile!

So what their passengers have to feel so superior about I really don't know! (Although I guess I'm now sounding a tad superior about the Thomson product! Oops, sorry! :o).

Yes, their ships certainly 'look' better and are better appointed in terms of some facilities and bathrooms (although our cabin by comparison had very poor storage and was small compared with Celebration/Spirirt).

But for us, those features are not as important as the warmth, atmosphere, service, entertainment and genuine friendliness (passengers and crew) which greets you a soon as you step on board a Thomson ship. :D And I think that is what attracts many passengers - friendly ships and friendly passengers - and that is reflected in the forum too.

Tired old ladies they may be - but for me that is an issue I can overlook and for all the reasons above, I too will be sticking with Thomson whilst ever we continue to enjoy the same qualities and standards which matter to us. :)

Well said, Kruzseeka! Personally I distrust any ship with garish colours all over the outside of them!!

Regarding gratuities, they are OPTIONAL. When we went on Sea Princess,we went to the Purser's desk on arrival and said we did not wish to pay them and they honoured that. We tipped our waiters and cabin steward at the end.

Thomson's entertainment is the best on any cruise line I think. I spoke to someone who had been on QE2 and she said Thomson's entertainment was much better!

I think all other lines I have been with so far have been intent on getting money out of you, and the spas - well - don't even go there!! $119 dollars for a massage and facial and then they come in with a list of cosmetics you "must have" (I didn't) and then they ask you go sign for a tip (I didn't)

I am going with Celebrity in September, so expect more of the hard sell,but you get wise to their tricks:)

Linda

Kruzseeka.

I wish I could write like you lol. You summed it up very well. I am looking forward to 2 weeks on the Destiny in July. We are flying from Bournemouth which makes a great difference. Have you seen the airport recently? It is looking really nice.

Billy.

Well done Kruzseeka , I agree with linda and billy ,you do give the best advice possible and you can put it into words better than ever could :) but it is true that the Thomsons forum is the best lots of friendly banter and very nice people ,,, so you can all take a bow :D

mrs.c

Regarding gratuities, they are OPTIONAL. When we went on Sea Princess,we went to the Purser's desk on arrival and said we did not wish to pay them and they honoured that. We tipped our waiters and cabin steward at the end.

Thanks for that tip - I did wonder if this was the case as I thought I'd seen it mentioned somewhere else, but when you ask about gratuities on other boards everybody makes it seem not optional! And you certainly do get petty comments if you grumble about them - because American passengers are so used to paying tips for everything they don't understand the British point of view! :rolleyes:

Personally I do not want shell out extra to thank staff for service unless I do actually think exceptional service was provided - otherwise why should I pay extra to staff just for doing their job? The irony is that the cruise line whose staff actually deserve gratuities most is the cruise line who don't have gratuities because they are British - Thomson! The housekeeping, restaurant and bar staff are so friendly and really take pride in their jobs, which really says a lot for the company - they evidently treat their staff well .

And on the subject of things being overpriced on other cruise lines, another thing that is putting me off booking with RCL for example is the extortionate cost of their excursions!! I know you can just do your own thing, but in certain places I would much prefer to stick with the ships excursions - when I was pricing them I believe a full day to Jerusalem was something like £116, whereas the equivalent Thomson trip is something like £70.

And on the subject of things being overpriced on other cruise lines, another thing that is putting me off booking with RCL for example is the extortionate cost of their excursions!! I know you can just do your own thing, but in certain places I would much prefer to stick with the ships excursions - when I was pricing them I believe a full day to Jerusalem was something like £116, whereas the equivalent Thomson trip is something like £70.

Hi,

We found that last year to our cost, (literally ), when on a cruise with RCL.

They were at least 40% dearer than Thomson's for same excursions. I've checked Princess too and they have a similar price difference.

I haven't said anything on your original post as everyone else has said it all before me.

Berwyn

Kruzseeka.

I wish I could write like you lol. You summed it up very well. I am looking forward to 2 weeks on the Destiny in July. We are flying from Bournemouth which makes a great difference. Have you seen the airport recently? It is looking really nice.

Billy.

Yep! Had a drive round the other week - it's looking really good. But then again, the old 'Arrivals' portacabin/prefab doesn't offer much competition!! :D:D I'm really looking forward to being able to fly to a cruise from there - this time sadly we can't get Bournemouth flights so have to go to Exeter - but that's a nice little airport. So much better than the trail up to and bustle associated with Gatwick.

And that's ANOTHER plus for Thomson - regional airport departures are great (if you can get them :()

Thanks for that tip - I did wonder if this was the case as I thought I'd seen it mentioned somewhere else, but when you ask about gratuities on other boards everybody makes it seem not optional! And you certainly do get petty comments if you grumble about them - because American passengers are so used to paying tips for everything they don't understand the British point of view! :rolleyes:

Just a another thing regarding the service charge. Some ships says that if you opt for Anytime Dining, meaning you can dine when you like instead of at set dining time, because you do not have the same waiters every night, you HAVE to pay the tips in advance. Now I wonder if this is legal and enforceable??

Linda

Just a another thing regarding the service charge. Some ships says that if you opt for Anytime Dining, meaning you can dine when you like instead of at set dining time, because you do not have the same waiters every night, you HAVE to pay the tips in advance. Now I wonder if this is legal and enforceable??

Linda

Hi Linda,

Probably not.

We did it on RCL in June and all Anytime diners were sat in same part of restaurant and we had same waiters all cruise as they were working that section. And we had to prepay tips.

Berwyn

Archived