RCCL Jewel vs. Celebrity Constellation - Baltic Cruise

rosie#1

Hi,

I am trying to decide between the two cruises for May 2011. The itineraries and price are similar. I am platinum on RCCL, but I have never been on Celebrity. I am hoping to get some input from people that have been on both classes of ships. I am leaning towards Celebrity. It will be two of us in our late thirties. I will also post on RCCL board.

Thanks,

I would say Celebrity, 100%. Don't forget to ask for your reciprocity with Captain's Club for your Crown & Anchor platinum status.

Unless, of course, you LIKE announcements on the PA about bingo starting, and smoking in a part of at least one bar. Then by all means choose RCCL.

We have been on both ships and love them both. The Jewel twice (Baltic and transatlantic) and the Constellation three times (Baltic and 2 transatlantics). For your age group, I would say the Jewel. There is more to do and a younger crowd. We do think the food was a bit better on the Connie and both have their pros and cons. Split decision for us as DH would take the Connie (elegant and sedate), but I would take the Jewel (a more modern feel). BTW, we are in our late 50's. Choose which itinerary best suits you though. I don't think you would be disappointed with either one.

I have to agree with Tally10. RCCL Jewel and Celebrity Constellation are my most favorite ships. Love them both. However, I recommend Jewel for the age group as it will have a younger crowd and a little more night life.

I have to agree with Tally10. RCCL Jewel and Celebrity Constellation are my most favorite ships. Love them both. However, I recommend Jewel for the age group as it will have a younger crowd and a little more night life.

Definitely agree. For your age group, Jewel is the way to go.

I don't agree that you need to be 80+ to travel on Celebrity. In December I was on Radiance (sister ship to Jewel) and I just returned from Millenium (sister ship to Connie), and I must say that there is a difference between Celebrity and Royal. I love both, but they are different.

First, although the food on Royal has improved recently, Celebrity has as well, and it was nothing short of excelent in terms of choice and quality.

Second, the service and professionalism on Celebrity is slightly better than Royal (again not a knock on Royal, as you can see from the list I have done many).

Third, on Celebrity they know how to mix a cocktail without using Island Oasis drink mixes. Island Oasis is great for a frozen drink, but for example, if you order a magarita on the rocks on Royal they uses the frozen drink mix, so it is sweet and thick, but on Celebirty, they do not use the thick frozen mix, etc.

In terms of entertainment, it is about the same as far as the singers, dancers, shows and music. The only thing you miss on Celebrity that you get on Royal are the kidding pool slide, the rock climbing wall and the miniature golf course.

If you are two adults, no kids, traveling to Europe - hands down Celebrity is the better choice!

Just my opinion - enjoy either way!

I don't agree that you need to be 80+ to travel on Celebrity. In December I was on Radiance (sister ship to Jewel) and I just returned from Millenium (sister ship to Connie), and I must say that there is a difference between Celebrity and Royal. I love both, but they are different.

First, although the food on Royal has improved recently, Celebrity has as well, and it was nothing short of excelent in terms of choice and quality.

Second, the service and professionalism on Celebrity is slightly better than Royal (again not a knock on Royal, as you can see from the list I have done many).

Third, on Celebrity they know how to mix a cocktail without using Island Oasis drink mixes. Island Oasis is great for a frozen drink, but for example, if you order a magarita on the rocks on Royal they uses the frozen drink mix, so it is sweet and thick, but on Celebirty, they do not use the thick frozen mix, etc.

In terms of entertainment, it is about the same as far as the singers, dancers, shows and music. The only thing you miss on Celebrity that you get on Royal are the kidding pool slide, the rock climbing wall and the miniature golf course.

If you are two adults, no kids, traveling to Europe - hands down Celebrity is the better choice!

Just my opinion - enjoy either way!

I don't think entertainment on Celebrity is very good at all; it is certainly not its strong suit. In fact, sometimes it can be quite bad. Of course, this is my opinion but from reading many posts in the past regarding this subject, I would venture to say that many cruisers share my opinion.

When nighttime entertainment fails to entertain or if you prefer more lively fare at night, Celebrity really is geared more toward the older (no, not necessarily 80-years-old) passengers. The bands and the musical selections played everywhere on the ship simply seem better suited to people older than 30-something and the disco (or nightclub) seems to be almost always deserted.

That said, if OP enjoys more subdued evening atmosphere then Celebrity would be a good choice too.

RCCL is quite good.....Celebrity is even better !! My opinion.

Age-wise, those two are very close cousins : Eight identical hulls were ordered by RCL in 1999: 4 ''R'' class ( Radiance, of which Jewel is a member) & '' M '' class ( of which Connie is the baby sibling ). They're both lovely ships.

Toss a coin and go for it !!

That itinerary is likely identical for both, other than the home port.

Cheers

with out question Celebrity would be my choice for any sailing over Royal Caribbean . Here are my reasons :

.food quality is better

.food presentation is far better

.service in both the dining room & state rooms are better

.entertainment is better .Celebrity brings quality acts on board .

.less people on Celebrity vs Royal & greater space ratio per pax in the public areas.

nicer staterooms

what ever you decide on have a great cruise

Everyone gives great advise. We had a similar decision, Voyager V Connie. Med cruise. 4 of 5 ports were the same, price within 100. We have done 10 RCCL and none on Celebrity. We chose Celebrity and the reason was the sea day. Royal was the first day and Celebrity was the last day. Figured we wanted to relax after a port intesive cruise. I just say look at all the little details as well as the ships themselves.

We did th Baltic on the Jewel last June. We loved every minute. Ship was great. We are diamond members so there are nice perks. The ship is beautiful, we had a junior suite, which DOES not get you into concierge lounge (this is my beef with rccl) we were 1 credit from being diamond, so even though we were in a suite technically, they dont count that as a suite. Service and food are fantastic. Ports are great.

We are sailing on the connie for the first time out of amsterdam in sept., so I can't comment directly on her, but we sailed the med to greece and turkey on celebrity and equally love celebrity. Now we are diamond on rccl,elite on celebrity. the perks are more on celebrity. The sky suites are a little larger than jr suite on rccl, but not enough to decide on that alone.

I would pick the itt. first, the age difference not that different. service and food slightly better on celebrity.

Can't go wrong with either ENJOY!!!;););)

Thank you everyone. After reading everything and comparing the itineraries we decided on Celebrity. It will be nice to try a new line and we usually just like to relax at night so we won't be missing the nightlife.

Archived