Fish hatchery tours

LindaKE

When an excursion lists stopping at a fish hatchery, what do you see? If it is during the spawning season, do you get to see salmon swiming upstream and jumping over obstacles, or is just sort of like lakes where fish are bred, and watching through a window below surface level as fish swim by?

Thanks!

what will you see at a hatchery? well, you won't see fish doing loops and twists and turns and leaping over barriers. each one of those stress the fish and not what you want to do to your brood stock. there'll be a holding pond full of skanky, er, i mean mature fish. these aren't the beautiful shiny steel i'll have that one for dinner fish. these are the ones that are ready to complete the circle of life. you may get to see them strip the fish of milt and roe (sounds kind of like a breakfast cereal). you should also see long concrete troughs full of fry growing before being released back into the stream.

is it a thrill a minute? no, but i always think it's kind of cool.

a good interpretor can make it a really good stop.

When an excursion lists stopping at a fish hatchery, what do you see? If it is during the spawning season, do you get to see salmon swiming upstream and jumping over obstacles, or is just sort of like lakes where fish are bred, and watching through a window below surface level as fish swim by?

Thanks!

What port are you looking at? And what time of year?

We're going the 3rd week of July. I was thinking of Juneau and Ketchikan. I think I've seen a stop at hatcheries mentioned for both.

bottom-dragger, where did you catch those huge shrimp?

The Juneau hatchery has a plexiglass viewing area of the ladder. During runs, it's loaded with salmon- about it. :) In Ketchikan it's a much smaller operation. You can see the "same" fish swimming up Creek St. Also a salmon ladder, that can be walked to, but I recall there might have been some mobility limitations?

The Juneau hatchery has a plexiglass viewing area of the ladder. During runs, it's loaded with salmon- about it. :) In Ketchikan it's a much smaller operation. You can see the "same" fish swimming up Creek St. Also a salmon ladder, that can be walked to, but I recall there might have been some mobility limitations?

Yes. I'm renting a wheelchair for ports, and DH will be with me to assist. Where would be the best place to see the salmon? I was about to post a new thread asking you if the boat trip to Misty Fjord would be more accessible than the floatplane. If so, would we pass by somewhere we would get to see the salmon?

Thanks for all the help you give us.

Creek St. in Ketchikan is probably your most easily accessable. A few blocks from the dock and all level. IF the salmon are running you will see them. Same with Skagway, there is a creek you will pass by, if docked at the Railroad dock. A longer distance, if the back ship, but still level. I'm assuming, there are no limitations with your pusher?

Creek St. in Ketchikan is probably your most easily accessable. A few blocks from the dock and all level. IF the salmon are running you will see them. Same with Skagway, there is a creek you will pass by, if docked at the Railroad dock. A longer distance, if the back ship, but still level. I'm assuming, there are no limitations with your pusher?

You're correct, he can handle distances without a problem and slopes if they are not too steep. I think we're going to watch the tides and try to leave and return when the gangway will be less steep. We're thinking going out on our own will be the easiest way to do that.

In Ketchikan, is the salmon ladder accessible for him to push me to? I read one of your posts giving directions from Married Men's Trail. You also mentioned Harris St., so, if it's not too steep or too far on the streets, we were wondering if we could get there that way.

In Skagway you said we'd pass by it - if we're heading in which direction (toward what)?

Thanks for being patient with me and offering all the excellent guidance.

You're correct, he can handle distances without a problem and slopes if they are not too steep. I think we're going to watch the tides and try to leave and return when the gangway will be less steep. We're thinking going out on our own will be the easiest way to do that.

In Ketchikan, is the salmon ladder accessible for him to push me to? I read one of your posts giving directions from Married Men's Trail. You also mentioned Harris St., so, if it's not too steep or too far on the streets, we were wondering if we could get there that way.

In Skagway you said we'd pass by it - if we're heading in which direction (toward what)?

No, the married man trail is quite steep. Lots of stairs. The road up to the hatchery is also quite steep. You will need to get a ride to the hatchery. However the creek street viewing can be done without all the climbing. I is a flat boardwalk and depending on the tides can be quite full of Salmon and seals chasing them. There is an iron bridge where a lot of people will be fishing off of. Always worth a look see.

The Juneau hatchery is much easier. AS BQ said, there is a nice viewing window and an easy ramp up to the hatchery. You will need to take a tour there, but here are plenty available on the dock if you want to bypass the cruise lines.

However the creek street viewing can be done without all the climbing. I is a flat boardwalk and depending on the tides can be quite full of Salmon and seals chasing them. There is an iron bridge where a lot of people will be fishing off of. Always worth a look see.

Great! Which tide state do I want to catch?

No, the married man trail is quite steep. Lots of stairs. The road up to the hatchery is also quite steep. You will need to get a ride to the hatchery. However the creek street viewing can be done without all the climbing. I is a flat boardwalk and depending on the tides can be quite full of Salmon and seals chasing them. There is an iron bridge where a lot of people will be fishing off of. Always worth a look see.

The Juneau hatchery is much easier. AS BQ said, there is a nice viewing window and an easy ramp up to the hatchery. You will need to take a tour there, but here are plenty available on the dock if you want to bypass the cruise lines.

They can bypass the Married Man's trail for getting to the salmon ladder. It is NOT at the Hatchery, but on Park. Slight incline. Take a look at a map. You can walk here, if you have a lot of time.

You also do NOT have to take a tour to get to the Hatchery in Juneau. It is a short cab ride- about 3miles from downtown. and a cheap Hatchery tour, if of interest.

I have not mentioned "Harris St" in Ketchikan??? The salmon ladder is on Park. Take a look at a map. It is a walk from the dock. BUT, if you have plenty of time, and a nice day, it is "pushable", although a distance.

As for Skagway, IF you dock at the RR dock, which I've seen Princess use frequently, to get to downtown Skagway, you will cross the creek. Take a look at a map. http://skagway.com/citymap.html

I have not mentioned "Harris St" in Ketchikan???

BQ, I seem to attributing things I read on other posts to you whether you said it or not. Sorry.

Most of the maps I try to pull up on line are so small scale that blowing them up to a size large enough to read makes it too blurry to read. I've ordered the city brochures hoping for a map I can read. Thanks for the map link. Does HAL also dock at the RR Dock?

BQ, I seem to attributing things I read on other posts to you whether you said it or not. Sorry.

Most of the maps I try to pull up on line are so small scale that blowing them up to a size large enough to read makes it too blurry to read. I've ordered the city brochures hoping for a map I can read. Thanks for the map link. Does HAL also dock at the RR Dock?

I've seen HAL use Broadway dock my last few trips. Just as good and same easy access to the creek. The Ore dock is the farthest away and used by NCL, if they happen to be in port same day? Again, stuff is very subject to change. :) There is a web site with the docking information. Someone here should be able to link it??

We have been to both and found them each to be enjoyable. The tour in Ketchikan was a bit more informative and really went into the life cycle of the salmon and the kids got to feed the young salmon in the tanks which was fun. It was too early in the season for the salmon to be running, but we enjoyed seeing the behind the scenes operation.

In Juneau, we were there at the peak of the salmon run, so we were treated to an amazing show as the salmon literally were crawling over each other to get up the ladder. It was truly a site to see!

Either way, it is a worthwhile investment of time if you have an interest.

When is the peak of the salmon run? I'm wondering if we need to change our reservations.

Thanks

In Juneau there are different runs depending on the different salmon. Contact the Hatchery directly and inquire the timeframes.

• 3 weeks later...

You also do NOT have to take a tour to get to the Hatchery in Juneau. It is a short cab ride- about 3miles from downtown. and a cheap Hatchery tour, if of interest.

Is it pretty easy to catch a cab back to Downtown from the Hatchery? How much time do you think we'll need there?

Thanks in advance!

Is it pretty easy to catch a cab back to Downtown from the Hatchery? How much time do you think we'll need there?

Thanks in advance!

I would have a cab number, and a cell phone. If you time it right, you can also catch the city bus.

I have not mentioned "Harris St" in Ketchikan??? The salmon ladder is on Park. Take a look at a map. It is a walk from the dock. BUT, if you have plenty of time, and a nice day, it is "pushable", although a distance.

As for Skagway, IF you dock at the RR dock, which I've seen Princess use frequently, to get to downtown Skagway, you will cross the creek. Take a look at a map. http://skagway.com/citymap.html

Thanks for that Skagway link! It led me to an excellent walking tour and a trail map for hiking. http://skagway.com/maps.html

For port maps also try looking at these:

http://destinationalaska.com/pdf/ketchikan_map09.pdf

http://destinationalaska.com/pdf/skagway_map09.pdf

http://destinationalaska.com/pdf/juneau_map09.pdf

http://destinationalaska.com/pdf/sitka_map09.pdf

http://destinationalaska.com/pdf/seward_map09.pdf

http://destinationalaska.com/pdf/whittier_map09.pdf

Archived