Tehuacalco Archaelogical Zone

Rosefloater

• 1 month later...

Rosefloater,

I didn't take a ship's tour to Tehuacalco but went there on a private tour with Sebastian Hernandez (eskp_rsh at hotmail dot com). I would highly recommend going to see these beautiful ruins. I loved the fact that it was just my husband and I in a nice SUV with a personal guide instead of 45 people crowded on a bus. This is cut and pasted from his e-mail to me about the ruins and the tour:

The Tehuacalco New Archaeological Zone (1 hour and 20 minutes away from ACApulco).

This belongs to the Yope`s culture, it was dicovered recently in 1999 but open to public in 2009, this prehispanic ruins is located at north of ACApulco and is surrounded by 4 hills, each hill toward exact to 4 cardinal points, also here is the evidence of the importance of the cycles and move of the constelations wich served this to the old settlers like axes to orient the construction of their cities and buildings and with this to assure their location in the time and the space.

The peculiar method of construccion here that based not only with decorations but designed to give flexiblilty to the walls in case of earthquakes. You will see ruins what used to be the governor´s palace, areas for the low class people, a ceremonial center for meetings and sacrifices, foot ball soccer court, petroglyphs, human footprints in stone, etc..

The Chapel of peace...

Located in the Las Brisas residential area,It rises over 1847-feet above sea level.This ecumenical chapel it was open to public in 1971 and sent to built for the French family Trouyet, it has become one of the symbols of modern Acapulco and characterized by an enormous cross that can be seen from all over Acapulco.

The Cliff Divers Show...

Acapulco is famous for this show; many people know the city for its cliff divers. Since the mid-40’s this has been an Acapulco Trademark. The show starts with the divers’ free-climbing the natural clefts in the cliff walls to reach the highest point.Everyday 5 times a day 12:45 Pm (first show) 7:30PM-8:30PM-9:30PM-10:30 pm

The Diego Rivera’s Murals Mosaic

This is considered to be a treasure of Mexican contemporary history.The mural was created for Mrs Dolores Olmedo in 1956,is done with collared mosaics,volcanic stones and seashells. Regarded as one of the most important cultural works of art in Acapulco.In it are featured the prehispanic versions of Aztec God (Quetzalcóatl "Feathered Snake") and the Mayan God (Kukul- Kan "Feathered serpent").

The Flamingos Hotel...

A private Hollywood gang hideaway.(back to the 40´s) They entertained celebrities from Hollywood and around the world for over 40 years .Ownered this hotel by John Wayne and Johnny Weissmuller (Tarzan) like a bussiness partners. They were living here and they recieved people like Cary Grant, Fred Mc Murray, Tyron Power, Merle Oberon, Red Skelton, Rex Allen, Errol Flynn, Betty Davis, Roy Rogers, Sammy Davis and more...

Mexican Handycrafts (goverment store).

This is Located at the Gold Zone Acapulco...fine recompilation of our state of Guerrero,embroidered dresses, Clothes, big and the finest pottery "Talavera style", leather,blow glass, tequila brands and also a beautiful workmanship Jewelry unusual silver designs.Big silver selection from mexican designers joining the creativity for necklaces,rings,earrings and bracelets with the best quality since finest jewerly silver done 9.25 to great sculptures finished in silver .999.

Archived